Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jebao has done it again...

basser1

google reviews on vortechs, they have had their share of problems as well. My mp10 was faulty and for $235 i should never had a problem with it . Its the standard because its a marketing ploy, but the most expensive thing its always the best . just like buying a skimmer thats rated for 2347238692346 times your water volume means your water will be the cleanest . lol . besides the smaller size and the little wire thats exposed in the tank what does the mp10 offer you that the rw's dont? remember years ago people had thriving tanks with just koralias as water movement .

Marketing ploy? How do you figure, every new power head thread on this forum is ," New power head vs. Ecotech," or the thread for the new pump turns into if Ecotechs are better. Why doesn't it read," New powerhead vs. Jebao?" Because Jebao isn't the benchmark for anything.

I mean Jesus, this thread was for Jebao and all of us are arguing over which is better, all being compared to Vortechs. You're arguing right now.

Benchmark by which all other power heads are measured.

I rest my case

Side note, what does Ecotech offer that Jebao doesn't? A pump that when the bearing go out I can replace in 15 minutes for 15.00 if it's too old to warranty, and I'm back in business.

Do that with you Ghey-bao

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

besides the smaller size and the little wire thats exposed in the tank what does the mp10 offer you that the rw's dont? remember years ago people had thriving tanks with just koralias as water movement .

I mean... since you asked :P

1. no heat transfer from the motor directly into the water.

2. no possible stray voltage in the water.

3. Better settings, more options (for people who use more than waves), else mode is NOT comparable to reef crest, lagoon, ect.

4. I can put a mp10 on a 5g cube and have enough control to get the perfect flow. My jebao can't do that.

I mean... since you asked :P

1. no heat transfer from the motor directly into the water.

2. no possible stray voltage in the water.

3. Better settings, more options (for people who use more than waves), else mode is NOT comparable to reef crest, lagoon, ect.

4. I can put a mp10 on a 5g cube and have enough control to get the perfect flow. My jebao can't do that.

5.Exponentially better customer service

6. Controllability via phone and other devices with Reeflink( 450.00 less than buying an apex and Jebao box for an Apex).

Hahahaha. Pot calling kettle...

I started calling it that too. Jebao Jyre does flow through the tongue.

How am I a pot? I call CAD out on their bullshit. You can't even compare CAD and Ecotech. Ecotech sells hundreds of thousands of pieces of equipment. CAD might be lucky to have sold 20,000. Their failure rate has to be above 20% which is unacceptable. I've personally had 2 pieces of their equipment fail right out of the box. And in the last month alone we have seen what 3 or 4 on here?

And it isn't like I rant and rave about how piss poor they are. I don't have enough time in my life for that. But I will jab at them when another failure thread shows up every few weeks.

Personally I'll always use Vortechs on my tanks. They look nice. Have good control. Have always been reliable for me. Price isn't a factor. Customer service has always been excellent. I use a Jebao DCT8000 for my return. Even though I want the new Vectra because it is Ecotech and I support them I will use my DCT8000 until it breaks and then buy another because it has been a very good, quiet pump.

How am I a pot? I call CAD out on their bullshit. You can't even compare CAD and Ecotech. Ecotech sells hundreds of thousands of pieces of equipment. CAD might be lucky to have sold 20,000. Their failure rate has to be above 20% which is unacceptable. I've personally had 2 pieces of their equipment fail right out of the box. And in the last month alone we have seen what 3 or 4 on here?

And it isn't like I rant and rave about how piss poor they are. I don't have enough time in my life for that. But I will jab at them when another failure thread shows up every few weeks.

Personally I'll always use Vortechs on my tanks. They look nice. Have good control. Have always been reliable for me. Price isn't a factor. Customer service has always been excellent. I use a Jebao DCT8000 for my return. Even though I want the new Vectra because it is Ecotech and I support them I will use my DCT8000 until it breaks and then buy another because it has been a very good, quiet pump.

Wow 20%. Didn't know you had access to their books to know what their sales figures are.

Lolol but you can have a hard on over ecotech . ask your Corals if they can tell between else mode and your lagoon mode .. They can't . if they were comparable in price I would buy ecotech no problem I'm all for it . heat transfer I've run them for 2 years never had a problem with that at all ..its about giving knowledge about other options like u said the idea is to have a nice tank . you spent $500 on powerheads while I took the 400 I saved and bought livestock and Corals . like the one guy said before its opinion based so when you said great I know you hate ecotevh and tired of hearing about it just leave the thread . youmadbro?/ not everyone can afford that kind of money so telling people other options is a good thing for the hobby .

I take it some people talk crap about Vortech's for a few reasons: they can't afford it, they read bad reviews about the product and decide they'll stick to the cheapo PH, or they actually owned them and had something go out on them "that should never ever break on a pump this expensive".

You people are crazy!

I can't afford all things I'd like to have in this hobby but guess what; quit telling yourself your Jebao is better than a Vortech. Just ain't. And how are you saying the modes on Vortech modes aren't of any use ? Thats nonsense from somebody who never had one.

Crazy how some people are such haters of a product.

Guess what, a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Maserati needs clutch adjustment every 12k miles, all fluids replaced at 5k miles for the first couple years. Add in there the price of the car and compare to a Geo metro.

If you had the money you'd be driving the Ferrari with all the issues it may or may not have. And yes looks are a major part of it, just like the Vortech looks heaps better than the wire in and Pinocchio nose power head that takes half real estate of your 10G tank.

Rant over.

I take it some people talk crap about Vortech's for a few reasons: they can't afford it, they read bad reviews about the product and decide they'll stick to the cheapo PH, or they actually owned them and had something go out on them "that should never ever break on a pump this expensive".

You people are crazy!

I can't afford all things I'd like to have in this hobby but guess what; quit telling yourself your Jebao is better than a Vortech. Just ain't. And how are you saying the modes on Vortech modes aren't of any use ? Thats nonsense from somebody who never had one.

Never had one fully go out on me but I've owned about a half dozen MP10's and MP40's. I love the product except the noise and the bearing lifespan, but those are such negatives, I wouldn't use one again if someone gave it to me.

I own 2 MP40s and an MP10. All have had issues. I own them for the format and motor outside the tank. I have not seen any evidence these are much better quality than the Jaebos, but the service and warranty support is good. I had the controller of one of my MP40's go out at just over a year and decided to upgrade to the quiet drive controller. Very nice, and quiet. I had to replace the wet side of the other MP40, and my MP10 is on its last legs and needs a motor replacement.

In the same timespan I only had one jaebo die, and I own 5 of them.

So what, big deal. There are so many false arguments when people start talking hardware. Buy what you want, buy what you can afford, buy what you like, and shut the #### up about it. :D

Maybe if I get a nice bonus I'll buy a $350 Tunze to replace once of my $85 RW15's .... or not.

Never had one fully go out on me but I've owned about a half dozen MP10's and MP40's. I love the product except the noise and the bearing lifespan, but those are such negatives, I wouldn't use one again if someone gave it to me.

Have you tried the new quiet drive yet? They claim they reduced the noise "by 90 %". I don't have one so can't comment if its true.

You people are crazy!

Crazy how some people are such haters of a product.

Guess what, a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Maserati needs clutch adjustment every 12k miles, all fluids replaced at 5k miles for the first couple years. Add in there the price of the car and compare to a Geo metro.

If you had the money you'd be driving the Ferrari with all the issues it may or may not have. And yes looks are a major part of it, just like the Vortech looks heaps better than the wire in and Pinocchio nose power head that takes half real estate of your 10G tank.

Rant over.

Had a vortech. Didn't like it. Didn't think it was any more useful than any other powerhead I've used before or since. Didn't break or anything I just didn't like it.

Sold it to someone else. Kept my korallias. They do the job just fine.

Also for your car comparison no I would not drive a Ferrari if I could afford one, or a lambo, a Maserati, or a Bugatti. I prefer American muscle cars. I think they look better.

Just saying

Have you tried the new quiet drive yet? They claim they reduced the noise "by 90 %". I don't have one so can't comment if its true.

Technically they claim to reduce motor noise "Up to 90%" meaning that even of it doesn't they're still telling the truth. Though that's more so people don't say "it only reduced the sound by 57%" or some such. I'm sure it can actually achieve most if not all or the sou d reduction. Promises on units that don't have major damage (I.e. badly damaged bearings).

I don't have the QD for the MP10 but on the MP40 it went from audible to dead silent. Dead silent.

My beef is their claim of more flow. They changed the MP40 wet side basket to eliminate the solid area that was supposed to go on top (to prevent sucking in air). This increases flow but you can't mount it as high in the tank. I don't believe the silent magic actually does anything for flow and I suspect, without the new basket, it may be slightly reduced.

I'll throw my hat in here for what it's worth.

I owned a preowned blue box mp10,never had an issue,and honestly,pretty damn quiet,could barely ever hear it.

I've also,owned an wp10,which after a few months died. I ordered a rw4 and ran it about a year or so and sold it when I broke my 40 down,no issues with it,quiet and worked.

All that said, there's just lots of options for a variety of budgets,and for different applications. Sure the mp10 functioned awesome and is pleasing to the eye. The jebao was a 60 power head that did as advertised no complaints and honestly would own either again. So I don't think there's a right or wrong here just depends on factors x,y,z for your decisions. :)

Side note, right now I'm running a 3.5 year old hydor 240 on a pulse duo and that has been a good little powerhead in all my tanks...especially for $20 new. ;)

Lolol but you can have a hard on over ecotech . ask your Corals if they can tell between else mode and your lagoon mode .. They can't . if they were comparable in price I would buy ecotech no problem I'm all for it . heat transfer I've run them for 2 years never had a problem with that at all ..its about giving knowledge about other options like u said the idea is to have a nice tank . you spent $500 on powerheads while I took the 400 I saved and bought livestock and Corals . like the one guy said before its opinion based so when you said great I know you hate ecotevh and tired of hearing about it just leave the thread . youmadbro?/ not everyone can afford that kind of money so telling people other options is a good thing for the hobby .

I can visually tell the difference btw else and lagoon, yes. However my corals would be happy with a maxijet.

Lagoon is something very nice for very shallow tanks or picos. It's nice the option exists for different styles of tanks or simply perhaps used a a a night mode. Not everyone is running a standard 20g/40g, ect.

Its cool to see nutrient export kick on when programmed and kick up some crud that is removed over the overflow and into the filter sock.

Heat transfer can still be a big deal if you don't use LEDs, or if you have a cold water marine tank like me, or even if your apt runs hot in the summer. It's not a big deal to everyone, but for some people it matters.

Just because it's not a good pump for you, doesn't mean it's not for other people. It's great to have options.

Personally, I think both jaebo and vortech are good pumps for different reasons and different types of people. When I first got into the hobby I went for cheaper options all the way. Chinese leds, koralias (jaebo didnt exist or I would have had them), minimal filtration, no skimmer, just water changes, ect.

I think most new people who join the hobby, if you told them... hey you need to buy this $500 light and this $300 pump, they would quit right there. Many new people end up quitting anyways, its not a hobby that is long term for every person. We need different price points for different types of hobbiests.

But for some people who stick around, they end up upgrading, they want fancier.... they want to control their lights from their phone, or they want an apex (even though it isn't NEEDED), rimless tanks, they want better and better. They want to tinker more.

I don't have the QD for the MP10 but on the MP40 it went from audible to dead silent. Dead silent.

My beef is their claim of more flow. They changed the MP40 wet side basket to eliminate the solid area that was supposed to go on top (to prevent sucking in air). This increases flow but you can't mount it as high in the tank. I don't believe the silent magic actually does anything for flow and I suspect, without the new basket, it may be slightly reduced.

Did they ever fix the axle on the MP40 where it only attaches to a single side of the wet side instead of going all the way through the impeller like the MP10 and MP60? Still amazed me that flaw made it through at least 2 revisions.

Did they ever fix the axle on the MP40 where it only attaches to a single side of the wet side instead of going all the way through the impeller like the MP10 and MP60? Still amazed me that flaw made it through at least 2 revisions.

Not sure. Mine screwed into the weight/magnet and the shaft broke. Perhaps the design is different from what you are referring too?

jedimasterben

The 'more flow' comes from if you change the motor AND the driver it pushes more power into it, which makes more flow. They were trying to hide the fact that they were just pushing the motor harder.

Yes, the latest version is built just like the MP10 and MP60, the shaft slides into the plastic grate.

To toss my opinion where it don't belong again, I think the people who hardcore hate and love ecotech are both idiots. Idiots that constantly feed each other. The detractors go in to stir up shit, and the attitude some of the lovers have just breeds and feeds the detractors. There are obviously good points and bad points about any product out there, and not every situation has the same requirements or desires. But to insist that ecotech is junk, is wrong; and by the same token, to insist that they're perfect is just as wrong.

Still wondering how this became a Jebao vs. Ecotech? Wasnt this about the Maxspect Gyre and the Gyre clone? I am pretty sure Jebao/Jecod has not made a MP clone yet. Although I noticed Ecotech made a DC pump similar to the Jebao DC pumps. :lol:

Still wondering how this became a Jebao vs. Ecotech? Wasnt this about the Maxspect Gyre and the Gyre clone? I am pretty sure Jebao/Jecod has not made a MP clone yet. Although I noticed Ecotech made a DC pump similar to the Jebao DC pumps. :lol:

Well a Chinese company (Jebao/Jecod) versus Chinese company (Guangzhou Maiguang: Owners of Maxpect) argument is hard for a lot of people because they can't fall back on their old China products are crap argument. ;)

f the new QD is silent, well... vortech just got a lot of points imo. I think that was the biggest complaint from people.

My MP40QD is silent at all modes below 40%, I never tried it higher.

Think that was my bad for pointing out how over priced I felt vortech pumps are and there is a similar price to quality concern with the Maxspect Gyre.

My point was if I was paying that much money I wouldn't expect the issues both these pumps are known for, however I am not blanket calling them crap. Just pointing out it's interesting Jebao can churn out a very similar pump to the gyre for a fraction of the price.

Good point about no Jebao clone of the vortech, maybe they didn't feel it was worth cloning lol......... or more likely it would be to costly and mean it would be priced too close to the vortech retail point preventing it being a good seller. Why would you buy a clone when $50 would get you a genuine vortech for example. However Maxspect are on the other end of this argument, why would you pay $400 for a pump (genuine or not) when $130 buys the same thing with a different name on the box.

Archived