Top Shelf Aquatics

Droys' IM Fusion 10 2/7/19 Update

Droy008

Update Time!

I know, I know, I suck at these, but whatever. :lol:

I have managed to dust off the DSLR and capture some pictures that may or may not live up to your unrealistic expectations.

So, without further ado.

PHaeFMtl.jpg 

HVDRdf3l.jpg 

Lue-Lue has found enough love in her cold non-cancerous heart, to share with the Duncan coral. (much to the duncan's dissatisfaction)

fbAOc1Wl.jpg 

TXvS0q5l.jpg 

The Spongeodes continues its Genghis kahn like march across sps rock, I have put up the only know deterrent for such invaders, a super glue wall.

AUU0ddql.jpg 

I realized that I haven't posted much about the little favia, I have it hidden underneath the rw-4, so its a bit harder to capture a picture of.

TSfu6fhl.jpg

The unkown WWC acro has found happiness, and really started to grow out it's branches.

mGORit6l.jpg

I had to pull the setosa down from the sps rock because of Genghis Spongeods. Since then, it's become more colorful.

WpXGV6ql.jpg 

This chalice continues to change colors

m2v4SJxl.jpg 

Xf63rLxl.jpg 

Both of these cephastreas continue to grow out well.

g1WObL1l.jpg 

This RFA moved front and center in the tank and has doubled itself in size :)

heYRaB1l.jpg 

Acan garden doesn't have a single space open on top anymore.

q0C5S1al.jpg

Daddy YWG standing guard over his den, while mommy watches over her eggs.

Also if you guys haven't seen it yet, check out my little Creative Container Pico Jar. I have had much more success with that than I have with this tank, and I really think it shows. :)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I managed to get my hands on a proper macro lens and some extension tubes today. :D

It took some getting used to, but I was able to capture some pretty great shots of some of the tanks inhabitants.

xswNWP0l.jpg

ZZWMwMxl.jpg 

Z4Ol6rol.jpg 

D1NugTOl.jpg 

Zhz21dOl.jpg  

FMJsctQl.jpg  

And Lastly what i feel is possibly the best photo I've taken of a fish to date. :)

OLzEOJhl.jpg

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the sporadic updates, but This tank has been so easy that I simply have let it go on autopilot.

Quick Update on where we're at meow.

I have taken down my Creative Container Jar, and moved over a majority of it's residence to this tank.

The transition was simple and relatively painless. and Every. Single. Coral. made the transfer without a hiccup.

I have to evict the Maxi Mini Anemone, primarily because it was just getting too large. The "local" fish store was happy to add her to their stock.

But other than that, I have maintained my weekly filter floss changes, and bimonthly water changes, and the tank has just gotten better and better.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to snap any DSLR pictures, but the Cell pics will have to do....for now. :)

pP9W65zl.jpg

lpwiYE8l.jpg

THp8dNjl.jpg

LOCmKWql.jpg

Ii1SVmCl.jpg

lgjqT62l.jpg

And Here's the updated FTS. :D

xKXVN1Nl.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Thanks @Cannedfish, for the kind words.

My galaxy s8 managed as best it could, but these photos are still a bit purple. :lol: If I can find the darn charger for my dslr battery I'll get some proper photos up shortly. :)

On 12/9/2017 at 1:06 AM, Droy008 said:

New pictures, because why not?!

OmGuqnzl.jpg

The chalice has really turned a bright orange.

2zm8e7el.jpg

Blasto has now tripled in size

WuWpIb7l.jpg

I also noticed these red guys growing on the base of my torch. I'm not entirely sure what they are, but they're really pretty!

x0dKOpal.jpg

TSB playing in the acans

9VXTjHnl.jpg

scbVYuWl.jpg

The male YWG laying in the palys watching Lue-Lue freak out in her torch

The things on your torch may be foraminaferins (sp?), I had some on a blasto skeleton. Tank looks fantastic!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I realize that I've been pretty dismal with these updates. But the tank is chugging along quite nicely.

The only drama I've had as of late is the slow war being waged on SPS rock between the spongeodes, and the 2 acros.

So far the acros have been winning the battle against the spongeodes, however the plating acro is slightly more potent than the branching and therefore it seems to be winning (very slowly) on that front as well.

Today I wanted to help show some of the growth on the SPS rock.

bbM5BYHl.jpg

And here's a nice-ish close up of that little acro nub. and the angry 3-way.

N4gHlmKl.jpg

• Like 6
6 hours ago, el_ote said:

Those green people eaters and agaves are awesome!!! I love the teal colors!

Thanks, the people eaters and agaves are really growing out right now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get a FTS with the light send it over! I will share on FB/IG. The SPS rock is growing nicely!

I will pass along to IM and see if they will share too. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I know your wanting more pictures, but life has been crazy.

I took the family on a road trip from California through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, back through Idaho, then Washington, back down Oregon and finally home. It was AMAZING, and for those of you that live in Montana, I'm jealous. LOL

I was pushing really hard at work to reach a couple goals, which in turn meant working long hours and little family time. So the road trip was part of the families reward for working with me through the rough periods.

Unfortunately that left very little time for tank pictures and posts.

Up until day 3 of our vacation everything was dandy...until I received a call from my secretary that my tank looked horrible, and one of my fish had died. 😮

I was 1,500 miles away and she has had little to no experience with the tank. I worked with her for around 45 minutes on the phone to conclude that the main pump had failed. 😞

Because the pump wasn't circulating water, the tanks temp dropped to 73ish and the o2 was dangerously low. also evaporation had worked against everything throwing of the salinity off, and well all the other BS associated with a stagnant tank.

I do keep some emergency supplies at the office and had her throw an air pump together and run it in the display, as well as put the heater from the back chamber into the main display as well, fingers crossed.

3 Days later I managed to convince (read bribe) a good friend and fellow reefer to stop by and diagnose the pump issues. After disassembling everything it looked as though a small snail had wedged itself into the impeller, lol. He got the pump back online and everything put back together nicely. (Thanks Jesse)

Except...there was still a dead fish in the tank.....

So I came back from a week and a half vacation to very bleached corals, and a nice algae lawn on the glass and rockwork and only 3 fish. I've assessed everything and the tank is doing fine-ish. I've done a good 75% water change and am running some carbon to help pull extra nutrients for a bit. And have yet to find a single piece of the poor TSB.  (RIP Benny 2)

I have some pictures but to be honest I'm a bit embarrassed. so try not to laugh too loudly. 🙂

V2YyuUEm.jpg

g3EHSCrm.jpg

PzU2p0km.jpg

3x9haHXm.jpg

3Cir6q4m.jpg

hygfdKIm.jpg

boHQI0zm.jpg

and lastly an updated FTS

1e2P88Bl.jpg

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Hey guys, I know your wanting more pictures, but life has been crazy.

I took the family on a road trip from California through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, back through Idaho, then Washington, back down Oregon and finally home. It was AMAZING, and for those of you that live in Montana, I'm jealous. LOL

I was pushing really hard at work to reach a couple goals, which in turn meant working long hours and little family time. So the road trip was part of the families reward for working with me through the rough periods.

Unfortunately that left very little time for tank pictures and posts.

Up until day 3 of our vacation everything was dandy...until I received a call from my secretary that my tank looked horrible, and one of my fish had died. 😮

I was 1,500 miles away and she has had little to no experience with the tank. I worked with her for around 45 minutes on the phone to conclude that the main pump had failed. 😞

Because the pump wasn't circulating water, the tanks temp dropped to 73ish and the o2 was dangerously low. also evaporation had worked against everything throwing of the salinity off, and well all the other BS associated with a stagnant tank.

I do keep some emergency supplies at the office and had her throw an air pump together and run it in the display, as well as put the heater from the back chamber into the main display as well, fingers crossed.

3 Days later I managed to convince (read bribe) a good friend and fellow reefer to stop by and diagnose the pump issues. After disassembling everything it looked as though a small snail had wedged itself into the impeller, lol. He got the pump back online and everything put back together nicely. (Thanks Jesse)

Except...there was still a dead fish in the tank.....

So I came back from a week and a half vacation to very bleached corals, and a nice algae lawn on the glass and rockwork and only 3 fish. I've assessed everything and the tank is doing fine-ish. I've done a good 75% water change and am running some carbon to help pull extra nutrients for a bit. And have yet to find a single piece of the poor TSB.  (RIP Benny 2)

I have some pictures but to be honest I'm a bit embarrassed. so try not to laugh too loudly. 🙂

V2YyuUEm.jpg

g3EHSCrm.jpg

PzU2p0km.jpg

3x9haHXm.jpg

3Cir6q4m.jpg

hygfdKIm.jpg

boHQI0zm.jpg

and lastly an updated FTS

1e2P88Bl.jpg

sorry to hear about this.....but things should eventually bounce back....and then youll be TOTM in no time!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

sorry to hear about this.....but things should eventually bounce back....and then youll be TOTM in no time!

Thank you for the kind words. 

The tank will continue to grow and evolve.

Funny thing is, I'm headed out of town today for 5 days. REALLY worried about the tank, but hopefully it'll continue to rebound while I'm away and I'll come back to a happy operation. 🙂

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, its not as bad as I was expecting.

I'm not 100% sure the unknown WWC acro is going to make through the next week. But honestly, everything else has managed to bounce back pretty darn well.

I'm still working on an unknown nutrient issue. (Damn you TSB and your rotting little body!)  and as such I do have a small amount of algae growing on some of the rocks just below the Toadstool.

Lue-Lue has managed to return back to her usual jovial self. which is nice to see a cheerful persona while the tank itself mends.

HncWSQTl.jpg

Also this guys came back! I was certain that it had died in my jar months ago, but in the last week has managed to move itself into the front of the tank. 🙂

CT9W7AJl.jpg

The birdsnest has almost completely recovered, and has only a small bit of hair algae left that was clinging o the burnt tips. 

*Side note: I have noticed that the coral will outcompete the algae if it starts to grow on dead spots, however this may only be the case for "fast" growing corals.

HSllSvrl.jpg

I haven't shown you guys this favia in a bit, mainly because its a bit hard to capture a photo of. However it's been doing very well as of late.

ysRbTHsl.jpg

My poor red setosa is having a hard rebounding from the crash, and I'm not sure that the Cephastrea is making things any easier either. lol

gxaMsYxl.jpg

Shameless photo of RFA 😛

MbJzuVal.jpg

Here's the most crowded area of the tank atm. The zoas/Palys have really grown out, and the colors aren't half bad either. 😄

T7wFgQUl.jpg

And lastly, a couple blurry photos of the tank as a whole. 😄

wemZd4tl.jpg

IDknRO6l.jpg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

I'm so glad to see the reef recovery is going well, all things considered! It's really quite beautiful in fact, all the layers of the aquascape reveal something more. I love it!

Nothing but a bump in the road 🙂 

• Like 1