Top Shelf Aquatics

Droys' IM Fusion 10 2/7/19 Update

Droy008

I'm sorry for not updating this thread more frequently. I've been so busy with work and family that the only time I've had to sit down and put everything together is when I'm at home sick with the flu. 😞

So where to begin...

Unfortunately, after the tank rebounded from the initial disaster back in August, I experienced yet another catastrophic failure, my heater!

I came in to the office one morning to hear EVERY alarm on my tank going off. and what could only be described as a white soup in the tank.

I quickly checked the water and it was HOT, in fact the temp said 92*F hot. and for some reason my Apex did not shut off the heater...

I quickly unplugged everything, and started to mix up fresh saltwater. within 15 minutes I was draining some of the hot water out of the tank, and filling it with warm 75*f water.

Unfortunately, the damage was already done. I wound up losing both of the Yellow Watchman Gobies, and the Tail Spot Blenny, only Lue-Lue and the pistol shrimp survived. 😞 

I also lost a lot of the coral, what was left was bone white and I was certain was also going to die.

I've never been so discouraged before, and after looking through countless pictures of this tank, I cannot see it getting back to where it was prior.

But, I haven't given up.... yet.

I have however, made a decision, I likely will not be adding much, if anything, else to this tank.

Lue-Lue will be the only fish in the tank. This is for a number of reasons, but mainly for simplicity.

I have gone ahead and removed almost all of the dead coral, as well as a good bit of the rockwork. what is left is a simple operation, that has rebounded beyond well. As a side note, I'm not sure if it was a response to the water conditions, or all of the dying organisms. But I now have sponges EVERYWHERE, the largest population being located on the bottom of the Spongeodes.

I really don't feel like typing out all that's transpired since what is now being referred to as "mini Fukushima".

But I did manage to take a couple pictures to show how the tank currently sits.

Here's a picture of the SPS rock, I lost almost all of the Acro in the middle, with the exception of some tiny pieces that survived along the edge. my only guess here is that the coral had built itself up to combat the spongeodes, and it managed to survive the meltdown. 

ezT51nhl.jpg

Close up of the surviving Acro,

l13LWUcl.jpg

The top left of the tank, all of the Paly's, and Zoa's survived. as well as an Acro frag, that is barley peeking out now.

saX5Gi7l.jpg

Random broken off piece of green Monti managed to stick around, but is constantly battling algea, you can see it as little brown spots here.

Also if you look to its right, the only remailing piece of Poccillopra.

fBYw279l.jpg

The RFA's managed to weather everything as well as the toadstool, however I seemed to have lost the baby toadstool. 😞

TO5yppql.jpg

Random shot of the chaos that is the lower left of the tank right now,

ImhnTmbl.jpg

Sadly I lost all but 2 Acans, and even these 2 looked horrible, they are slowly coming back, I've also taken some of the GSP from the back of the tank to cover the bald spot on the rocks there. Also the Cephastrea is hanging in there, and slowly starting to encrust since being moved, but it continues to battle the algae.

UQY1mvrl.jpg

Lower right side of the tank. the Chalice has never looked better, and I moved some of the xenia and cloves over here as well.

3rvaNvgl.jpg

And last but not least a new FTS.

rYGExEHl.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about your tank, it’s always been an outstanding nano! But I am happy it wasn’t a total loss. I look forward to it recovering and being better than ever!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if the Apex failure has to do with the electronic control outlets vs the mechanical relay?  Outlets 2-7 are the electrical on/off and can fail to actually shut down in certain scenarios (typically low current devices).  #'s 1 and 8 are the sure things and mechanically switch on/off. 

• Wow 1

yea, i'm not sure why the apex failed, but I am no longer taking chances. I've since purchaced an inkbird, and the system is fully analog now.

Not that the apex systems are bad, but I did purchase this unit used, and no longer have any faith in it.

The tank will continue to grow, but I wont be adding any more coral or fish to the system.

I'm currently unsure of what I will be doing reef-wise moving forward. 

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I haven't completely given up on the tank.

• Like 1

I'm sorry about the crash. I'm amazed anything survived!  It's totally normal to be discouraged after a major setback like that, I've been there myself.  The tank looks good, especially considering what it's gone through.  I hope what's in there can grow and thrive and be something for you to enjoy for the life of the tank. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm sorry about the crash. I'm amazed anything survived!  It's totally normal to be discouraged after a major setback like that, I've been there myself.  The tank looks good, especially considering what it's gone through.  I hope what's in there can grow and thrive and be something for you to enjoy for the life of the tank. 

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.

Hopefully I can get the tank back on track. I just need to find some time for it, something that has been harder and harder to find as of late. 😞 

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry for the lack of updates.

I've been enjoying all the snow the PNW has been getting lately and skiing/snowboarding a minimum of 3 days a week right now.

BUUUTTTT things continue to improve in the little 10g.

First, just before Christmas my kids and I wandered into a Petco to pick up some cat food and toys. and I wandered over to look at the poor souls floating about.

My son asked why their tanks looked so green (algae) and why mine didn't. I sheepishly told him that I took better care of my tank. 😄 

Then he spotted a little 6 line wrasse, and he HAD to get it for me. Lue-Lue was looking lonely all alone in the tank and I wasn't about to argue so we picked it up and proceeded back home. along the way we stopped by my office were we introduced lue-lue to Pepperoni. Yup you read that right, he named her pepperoni. when I asked where he came up with the name, he simply said, well I like pepperoni, and I like this fish. :lol: 

Now lue-lue and pepperoni have been bff's for a little over 1 month and things have been going surprisingly smooth.

Well, 2 weeks ago I managed to break my wrist playing around on my snowboard. I had to head out of town to get X-rays so while on my way back I stopped by a nice fish store and picked up a couple frags as well as the coolest little goby I've ever seen!

6TviozZl.jpg

He/She is a redheaded Goby and absolutely loves my red Setosa. Every day I feed the fish he jumps out and greets me, then darts rapidly up, eats the food and darts back to his little red rock.

When I asked my daughter what we should name it she said "Snowflake"! I asked he why we should name it snowflake, she said because it's snowing outside right now...these kids.

as for the frags, I picked up an awesome orange Digi

FhQXjY6l.jpg

And what I think is a green Pocci but I'm not 100% sure

5FZ3b82l.jpg

I also picked up a teeny green nepthea frag, but I could manage to get any decent picture of it at this time.

But I did snap a quick shot of the tank as it sits meow.

uw6JgiIl.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Typing hurts, and I have to go in for MRI's next week to see about fixing some ligaments. 😞 

Hope you guys enjoy!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

The tank looks great! Sorry to hear about your injury...that is exactly why I dont go snowboarding anymore. 

Thanks D.

Its unfortunately not the first time this particular injury has happened.

I love snowboarding, and would recommend it to anyone. Just stay away from the terrain park with its alluring jumps and rails. 😄

• 1 month later...
Christopher Marks

How's the reef (and your wrist) doing these days @Droy008? Hope you're well!

On 2/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, Droy008 said:

the coolest little goby I've ever seen!

6TviozZl.jpg

He/She is a redheaded Goby and absolutely loves my red Setosa.

Now that's a cool goby, I don't think I've ever come across one of those before! Something new every day 😄