Cultivated Reef

Droys' IM Fusion 10 2/7/19 Update

Droy008

Tank looks great! The picture from all your bags of coral temp acclimating is hysterical.

Bring 'er home!

Thanks!

I almost flooded the tank acclimating all those coral at once. Lol

1 vote for a home tank. Keep in mind my 1 & 3 yr old kids may try to "pet" the fish from time to time. ;)

One of the awesomest parts of having a reef aquarium is finding all the weird and unknown critters.

a2NELpYl.jpg

5dybf3Dl.jpg

PGvEMfAl.jpg

This morning I found an unknown nudibranch crawling across the front pane. He was very pretty, and while the photos don't show it he had a green florescence. After a quick google cearch I realized he was likely a zoa eating nudy, and decided to remove him.

nuY7cYSl.jpg

But when i wiped him onto a piece of paper towel, it seemed like he had fallen apart. It almost looked like smaller baby nudy's had been hitching a ride on the back of this one and when i smeared them they came off, that or the little bugger literally fell apart.

Anyone know whats going on here?

• Like 1

Hey Droy, just read theough the last 2 pages of your thread. I love how your tank had progressed. Very nice. I love your fish choices as well.

Hey thanks!

It's been fun so far. :)

• Like 1

That's what I'm worried about.

I did read somewhere that new little wrasse "might" take care of any new babies, but I will definitely be keeping an eye out.

• Like 1

Finally got a picture of the little Gramma.

He came out when I was feeding yesterday.

wbceRW6l.jpg

Also I have been checking my water parameters pretty regularly (every day @ 9:00am) and I've found something mildly interesting.

I haven't changed anything in my tank other than filter floss and emptying the skimmer catch for the last 2 weeks. My nitrates have remained around 5-10ppm for over a week straight, even with all these fish! I did see some ammonia spike when the nem died, as well as a small nitrite spike that lasted for 2 days. but my nitrates haven't really budged. I would have expected them to climb rapidly. Now i'm not saying that these fish are happy, but it's good to know that this system can keep up with this high load. I still did a 20% water change as per my routine today. :)

Some documented proof. (Ammonia was at 0, just not in pic)

gxVxaNal.jpg

Also installed a new reactor I got this week. I did this for a couple of reasons, the biggest is I was worried about my bioload, and wanted to be able to keep up with the possible demand. The other was because our good friend @Begow was selling one!

I love this thing so far, and will update on it in a few weeks to let everyone know how I feel about it after it's had some time to run.

• Like 2

One of the awesomest parts of having a reef aquarium is finding all the weird and unknown critters.

a2NELpYl.jpg

5dybf3Dl.jpg

PGvEMfAl.jpg

This morning I found an unknown nudibranch crawling across the front pane. He was very pretty, and while the photos don't show it he had a green florescence. After a quick google cearch I realized he was likely a zoa eating nudy, and decided to remove him.

nuY7cYSl.jpg

But when i wiped him onto a piece of paper towel, it seemed like he had fallen apart. It almost looked like smaller baby nudy's had been hitching a ride on the back of this one and when i smeared them they came off, that or the little bugger literally fell apart.

Anyone know whats going on here?

Definitely a zoa-eating nudibranch. Kill with fire! Seek, maim, destroy!

Keep an eye on your Z's & P's. If you notice that you have certain (geographical) areas that stay closed longer than usual, inspect carefully for nudis. The fluorescence you mentioned comes from the zoanthids that they eat, so they will be the same color as the polyps they're eating, and therefore much more difficult to see. So if you say he was green, he was eating green polyps. If you find any, pull them out with tweezers and sacrifice them to the reef gods. A sixline wrasse, or other predatory grazer will help.

Good luck!!

• Like 3

Definitely a zoa-eating nudibranch. Kill with fire! Seek, maim, destroy!

Keep an eye on your Z's & P's. If you notice that you have certain (geographical) areas that stay closed longer than usual, inspect carefully for nudis. The fluorescence you mentioned comes from the zoanthids that they eat, so they will be the same color as the polyps they're eating, and therefore much more difficult to see. So if you say he was green, he was eating green polyps. If you find any, pull them out with tweezers and sacrifice them to the reef gods. A sixline wrasse, or other predatory grazer will help.

Good luck!!

Thank you, I have been monitoring my zoas pretty closely and haven't noticed any more pests. Then again, I never noticed this one.

I am currently dipping all corals in freshwater for 1-2 mins. But I'm thinking I need to start doing something a bit stronger.

What are some good coral pest dip options?

I have read about a lot of people using bayer, but not entirely sure I trust myself with that yet...

Thank you, I have been monitoring my zoas pretty closely and haven't noticed any more pests. Then again, I never noticed this one.

I am currently dipping all corals in freshwater for 1-2 mins. But I'm thinking I need to start doing something a bit stronger.

What are some good coral pest dip options?

I have read about a lot of people using bayer, but not entirely sure I trust myself with that yet...

Bayer works great and is a lot less harsh that Revive I think. I have also dipped in a 50/50 mix of peroxide and it gets the nudis off the zoas also. It also kills the algae sort of but that a whole different thing.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Bayer works great and is a lot less harsh that Revive I think. I have also dipped in a 50/50 mix of peroxide and it gets the nudis off the zoas also. It also kills the algae sort of but that a whole different thing.

Good luck!

Could the peroxide harm other inverts like my bristle stars? Wondering if I could dip my entire front rock?

Could the peroxide harm other inverts like my bristle stars? Wondering if I could dip my entire front rock?

Yes it would probably kill them. I know when I dip frags the critters come a running....it stinks but the things we have to do for pests.....

Years ago I had monti eating nusdis and it whipped out all my stuff. I was sick after that one.

Here is a link to Cherry Corals and bayer. http://www.cherrycorals.com/news/coraldips/

• Like 1

Yes it would probably kill them. I know when I dip frags the critters come a running....it stinks but the things we have to do for pests.....

Years ago I had monti eating nusdis and it whipped out all my stuff. I was sick after that one.

Here is a link to Cherry Corals and bayer. http://www.cherrycorals.com/news/coraldips/

Thanks for that link. I've been researching the bayer method most of today. Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. What concentration do you usually use?
  • Like 1

Thanks for that link. I've been researching the bayer method most of today. Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. What concentration do you usually use?

Usually just mix it so it looks like skim milk. And yes get a few wash buckets to rinse as that stuff is not good in the tank.

From the cherry corals article 2ml-10ml per 4 ounces of tank water

• Like 1

Looks great! Very clean :)

Thanks Teeny, it's the little things right?

Also the media reactor is really a top notch piece. I'm just running regular carbon in it and I cannot believe how clean the tank is. Even more notable is how clean it smells. No more stink.

• Like 2

I used to use carbon, then I claim laziness for not putting it back in. But I know once I do put it back in, it sure does make a difference. I'm going to see if I can have my mom sew me some pockets some how so I can just pop them in, empty & refill when I need.

• Like 2