Coral Vue Hydros

NanoBox APEX Adaptor

DaveFason

Hey guys,

After years of people asking me about NanoBox integrating with the Neptunes Apex controller I finally took the plunge. With the help of O2Surplus we created a module for NanoBox units to work perfectly with the Apex controller.

The module will tie channels five and six ( Moonlight & Fan ) to channel one ( Royal Blue ) due to the Apex only supporting four channels stock. If using with old style NanoBox unit, you will need to supply a separate power supply for power. Newer style units will simply plug and play.

Module :

23694996131_787e06b022_z.jpgNanoBoxAPEX by David Fason, on Flickr

More to come!

-Dave

• Like 7

I have an Apex Jr., do I need anything else besides this?

Although, I am perfectly fine using the bluefish now...

Apex Jr doesn't have variable voltage ports. You would have to add a VDM module.

While this is exciting give my recent order of an ATI Hybrid from Dave... I got to say I am king of looking forward to playing with the bluefish!

would it be a simple change over in the future if I wanted to add this to a hybrid fixture?

• Like 1

While this is exciting give my recent order of an ATI Hybrid from Dave... I got to say I am king of looking forward to playing with the bluefish!

would it be a simple change over in the future if I wanted to add this to a hybrid fixture?

Yes sir!

• 1 month later...

I am trying to use simple network cable wires to connect and only the whites are working. I am not so sure that I am using the correct cable? Using the Apex Gold full setup.

• Like 1

I am trying to use simple network cable wires to connect and only the whites are working. I am not so sure that I am using the correct cable? Using the Apex Gold full setup.

How many channels do you have and how is your apex setup?

If you are using a few of the slots already provided then this can throw a few things off. You would need the VDM module.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/led-pumps-control-module-vdm-neptune-systems.html?gclid=COr1_eK0s8oCFdgBgQodP0cIXg

The cables should just be normal ethernet cables.

-Dave

How many channels do you have and how is your apex setup?

6 channels on the new tide array. Royal Blue, Blue/Cyan, Violet, White and Moon.

4 channels on the Apex main module. I have the gold package along with WXM and ALD modules. The tank runs a Duo over the display and a Tide over the frag tank. I used to control both with the bluefish controller using 2 logins. I wanted to try the Apex integrating so Dave updated my Tide with his new array which it channel can be controlled independently and included the Apex chip.

I found 2 ethernet cables around the apartment to use. After plugging each into the Apex chip and then into the main Apex module (V1/V2 & V4/V5) I went to Fusion, added the 4 variable speed controls to the dashboard and configured using the light graph. All 4 channels turned on using the same configuration and only the whites turn on.

6 channels on the new tide array. Royal Blue, Blue/Cyan, Violet, White and Moon.

4 channels on the Apex main module. I have the gold package along with WXM and ALD modules. The tank runs a Duo over the display and a Tide over the frag tank. I used to control both with the bluefish controller using 2 logins. I wanted to try the Apex integrating so Dave updated my Tide with his new array which it channel can be controlled independently and included the Apex chip.

I found 2 ethernet cables around the apartment to use. After plugging each into the Apex chip and then into the main Apex module (V1/V2 & V4/V5) I went to Fusion, added the 4 variable speed controls to the dashboard and configured using the light graph. All 4 channels turned on using the same configuration and only the whites turn on.

K probably the first thing I would check is the ethernet cables. They might be bad since only 1 channel works out of 4.

• 10 months later...

I will be adding an Apex soon and wonder how light control via Apex Fusion compares vs. Bluefish Lite. My Duo has Bluefish Lite but I also bought the Apex adapter. Is it worth trying or I should keep controlling dimming, etc. via Bluefish and use the Apex just for ON/OFF?

Adding to my question, I think that maybe a benefit of controlling the Duo with the Apex is that I could have additional information to track, for instance, how pH, temp, etc. fluctuates vs. light intensity. But besides that, I still want to know your opinion regarding the functionality of the Apex Fusion light controls vs. Bluefish. Also, any tips about setting the Duo (2 channel) in Apex Fusion. Thanks a lot.

jedimasterben

I will be adding an Apex soon and wonder how light control via Apex Fusion compares vs. Bluefish Lite. My Duo has Bluefish Lite but I also bought the Apex adapter. Is it worth trying or I should keep controlling dimming, etc. via Bluefish and use the Apex just for ON/OFF?

The two are definitely very different. The Apex can dim similarly to the Bluefish, but only in 1% increments and only on a per-minute basis (the Bluefish does 4095 increments internally and makes changes by the second).

The Apex light wizard is actually really easy to program via Fusion, and you can add and adjust as many points in a day as you want, while the Bluefish is a bit more involved. For setting weather or photoperiod via location, though, Bluefish is hands down significantly simpler (but I wouldn't consider that a dealbreaker).

Adding to my question, I think that maybe a benefit of controlling the Duo with the Apex is that I could have additional information to track, for instance, how pH, temp, etc. fluctuates vs. light intensity. But besides that, I still want to know your opinion regarding the functionality of the Apex Fusion light controls vs. Bluefish. Also, any tips about setting the Duo (2 channel) in Apex Fusion. Thanks a lot.

You can track all of that via Fusion separately from the Bluefish, the light doesn't have to be Apex controlled to be able to compare graphs and times :)

• Like 1

To me I like the Bluefish control over the APEX. For me I personally do not like everything controlled by one item ( just in case something happens ). One other item is more wiring and plugs to deal with.

Ben brings a good point with controlling more points in the day with the APEX but I know BF is working on this.

Regardless you will have a great system with either!

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

My nanobox duo with the apex interface is not dimming fully, at 0% there is still some light (about 5%).

For now I'm having to plug the power supply to an Apex outlet and shut it off at night.

Any thoughts?

jedimasterben

My nanobox duo with the apex interface is not dimming fully, at 0% there is still some light (about 5%).

For now I'm having to plug the power supply to an Apex outlet and shut it off at night.

Any thoughts?

Make sure the ground wire connecting the Apex adapter and the driver board is connected.

Any thoughts?

I am not as familiar with the Apex but by any chance do you have a lunar effect on?

Proper ground on the cables that go from the adaptor to the APEX?

-Dave

Make sure the ground wire connecting the Apex adapter and the driver board is connected.

Hi JediMaster,

Thanks for your help. I have no idea what ground wire you are referring to. Can you share a picture? I just opened the nanobox driver box and replaced the bluefish board with the apex board that Dave sent me. Then used standard ethernet cable to connect the nanobox to the Apex. It works, just that 0% will not dim the leds completely.