Coral Vue Hydros

Teejay's Reefer 250

teejay

everything looks great! wish my SPS is doing well like yours. what's your parameter and feeding routine?

Ah, I've been on vacation for a few weeks visiting my girlfriend's parents in EU, and last I remember your tank was looking outstanding as always. What are your SPS issues?

My parameters generally stay around 7-7.3 for alk, 440 calc, 1400 mag and nitrates phosphates generally both test near 0. I feed LRS Reef Frenzy twice daily in smallish amounts and I dose about 150 mL of live phyto per day with my doser (it adds a bit every 2 hours). The phyto is great for corals since it doesn't really pollute the water as the skimmer easily pulls it out, but the constant dosing I feel has really been helping. I say that because I was away for 3 weeks, and my tank sitter only came every 2-3 days to make sure the ATO was full and the fish only got fed once as well during that time since I don't run an auto feeder. I did make sure the phyto was topped up before I left and when I came back, I noticed some considerable growth on the SPS especially and when I tested alk it was down to 5.8 so I've had to correct that and increase my daily dosage to keep up with the consumption.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Decided to try a little macro video of a few different corals, mostly SPS with a few LPS mixed in there. First try, a little trouble getting the white balance and everything else to work properly, but I'll work on it.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Been a while since a little bit of an update, I've added a few new SPS corals, and still need to get a few newer pictures since I only took a bunch while they were acclimating, but I picked up this great little piece of RR Canada Wolverine that was completely browned out and had a little tissue necrosis from shipping. Alk consumption is going up, and for some reason my nitrates are testing above 50 ppm on both Salifert and Red Sea tests, but there's been no issue with SPS, as the Wolverine has begun coloring up from the brownness in which it was shipped, there may be something interfering with the test results, just based on what the tank is doing. I have a few pics of a couple other recent editions and some oldies in the tank as well. I had 2 doa's in my last order, a red dragon and purple dragon acro, both horrible shippers apparently :(.

Here's the wolverine's progression so far over about 2 weeks.

HuqURM7l.jpg

After I cut away the dead tissue and starting to heal:

ZHdCGi0l.jpg

And finally starting to color up, hopefully won't be much longer until it's a nice stunning yellow

lBn3bcql.jpg

A new addition: Toxic Avengers Acro, showing a few different colors

av4iyQnl.jpg

Yellow Slimer

OmYw0mvl.jpg

A top-down of my maxima

30r0pjzl.jpg

Bonsai Acropora

HyzKS8ol.jpg

Tyree Pink Lemonade Acro

QBDZR1al.jpg

Red Planet

ekBldZ9l.jpg

Rando Green Acro

2sjHrsxl.jpg

and some Christmas Colors, just to be festive:

e1XtPdyl.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm never really satisfied with the aquascape and I'm constantly tinkering with it haha, so a new tank shot. Added a few new corals which I haven't placed anywhere quite yet, and everything already in the tank is growing pretty well over the last little while. Hopefully by the time these acros grow in I'll have something fully decided where I want to put everything.

qcXo279l.jpg

cr2IWQ2l.jpg

BXw2hxol.jpg

AaN2QQkl.jpg

8QuJQcZl.jpg

9MIQtvEl.jpg

kZueMRLl.jpg

dxJFt7fl.jpg

yBBxEjhl.jpg

o9uerzWl.jpg

cGYaDnJl.jpg

gfAAaSSl.jpg

qsf4Ww9l.jpg

7ppkz78l.jpg

2M4cp1Tl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Able to finally get a halfway decent pic of the Oregon Tort

sTqkXp1h.jpg

After increasing the lighting an extra 2 hours a day from 8 to 10 hours, the Red Planet has begun losing its green undertones.

sjKgnlch.jpg

qrA6cC1h.jpg

Another side shot!

BsD7hLNh.jpg

Purple Bonsai, the one that never tends to look bad no matter how much I bother it

fJfozo8h.jpg

Random green acro!

1ahH53Nh.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
A quick update on the tank! Around January, I had started having a few issues with the tank. A couple pieces STN/RTN. Managed to save almost everything in my frag tank (at least a tiny piece or two), but a couple were completely lost. As far as I can tell, it mostly stemmed from a bad batch of salt. I've been using the same salt for about 3 years, and on this batch, the potassium ran about 200 ppm (nsw ~400). To be a bit less boring with the explanation, this caused a chain reaction with both alk consumption and trace elements overdosing from my balling that has traces incorporated. I used both my labs ICP and a triton test to confirm what was going on. I did the drastic method of a 25% water change every day for a week, which works out to about 85% water change over 7 days. RTN stopped and corals didn't immediately look better, and in fact my red planet still looks atrocious color wise, but it's hanging on. 

Since then, things have been coloring back up nicely since that whole crapshoot. Pretty happy with the tank again to the point where I restarted taking pictures, but quite unfortunate to having the growth being non-existant during that period and some things have only began regrowing very slowly.  Picture time, there's a few things I was surprised not to lose during this whole fiasco.

c0fry2ah.jpg

FT9kedfh.jpg

9ox4rsGh.jpg

Wray4lyh.jpg

sDTpzuAh.jpg

i1DgEleh.jpg

45KiOYbh.jpg

VrQuhnlh.jpg

u2t5AnTh.jpg

L4KtHCjh.jpg
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...
printerdown01

Beautiful shots!  Video was done really well.  Perhaps you already mentioned this but I didn't see it, what camera are you using? 

Killer tank. Sorry to hear about the salt issue.  I don't care how much it was if there was a salt company that would put out a consistent mix without fail, I would buy it.  But every company out there seems to vary from batch to batch (or it seems to self separate in shipping).