Innovative Marine Aquariums

40g of no possibilities :(

Squared

I've been eyeing the fairy wrasses for my 40g tank. They're so pretty :)

There are so many to choose from, don't know which to get. My hope is that I can get a fish to display with the anthias, colors look to be past female but not full dominant male. IDK if it will transition fully without other anthias, but he is still really pretty.

Been trying to sell the multicolor on socalireefs for weeks now, I guess it's just too risky for most people's tanks. I may have to offer him at really cheap price. That way I can add more new fish to the QT.

I am getting some diatoms and cyano near the top of the tank on the algae, but no where else. Too much light maybe? I should get my phosphate tested, been a while.

Went ahead and added the anthias. I only did a week of prazipro, decided to risk it because I've been seeing this fish every time I go to the LFS for weeks.

DSCN3881_zpsorzsa8zq.jpg

DSCN3884_zpstn7esucf.jpgKeeping the lights blue for now while the fish transitions.

I only added it yesterday, and it has already taken to the tank. Not shy, likes to be up front swimming around. Also scarfs down pellets now (happened like 30 minutes ago lol). And yes, the multicolor is back in the acclimation box. Since nobody wants him I thought I'd try again, but maybe for longer.

Going to call the anthias 'it' since I can't tell if it's male or female in this light. I thought I saw more yellow, but its still very orange.

• Like 1

I put the multicolor in, since everyone was ignoring him in the box. That was a mistake. The anthias freaking lost its mind and torpedoed the angel right out the box. The blenny also did not appreciate the new addition, and got in a fight as well. The venustus displayed at him a few times but kept swimming. Then the multicolor tried to instigate a fight with clowns. The puffer was 100% chill the whole time.

Promptly scooped up the multicolor and put him back in QT. Has a few bruises but nothing major.

I'm still surprised the anthias and blenny reacted the way they did. I will not be adding another angel for sure.

I wanted to get a fairy wrasse, but seeing how the anthias reacted makes think this is not a good idea. Looks like it already thinks it owns the tank, surprised it ignores the clowns considering how much smaller they are.

• 1 month later...

I'm restarting my tank again, kinda. I found a good deal on a used acrylic tank of similar size and will be moving everyone over to that. The cabinet is far more accessible and it also came with a sump, and has internal overflow. It will just be way easier to clean and hopefully quieter. I've let the tank kinda

I ended up selling the anthia. I added a small pylei wrasse, royal gramma, and blue chromis and the anthia had some issues with that.

I bought a couple of maxi minis and put them in my nanocube, so they could attach to something. I thought they were fish safe but after a little research it seems they are not. Oh well, there are no fish in the nano so I guess they can stay there.

• 3 months later...

School has been taking up a lot of my time, and for the most part I've just been letting my tanks sit. Not necessarily a bad thing, corals and algae look great but the glass needs cleaning. Have some cyano but the algae doesn't seem to mind.

I've had the angel in QT for a while now, for hemorrhagic septicemia. After weeks of antibiotics, there is still a little redness/possible scarring. I've spent a lot of money on meds and at some point had to just stop. At this point I'm not really sure its septicemia but it's not nothing, all I can do now is hope the fish heals itself. Still a good eater though.

My house is getting fumigated for 3 days at the end of June so I need to either sell all my livestock or get the LFS/somene to hold my fish. IDK for sure what I'm going to do, but I may start selling stuff on here within the next few weeks (got lots of shrooms and algae). Considering how school has been I may sell everything. Of course I would still have a tank, maybe just smaller. Buying water is kinda expensive for this tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 5:56 PM, yoshii said:

Aww :( If you sell everything, will you start the tank up again? Or is school taking up too much of your time?

I am going to downgrade. I live at home and commute school so it's still possible to keep a tank. I have 2 years left before grad school. With any luck I will be able to move out by then.

That fluffy green algae and gorg I got from you a while back have really taken off. I want to keep the gorg, some other corals, and some of the green algae and start another algae-themed tank, but maybe half the size.

Bad pic but here's the tank:

IMG_0153_zpsmf9imphw.jpg

I also have a bunch of other stuff in a 12g nanocube. Puffer/hermits/blenny/somebody likes picking at gorgs and LPS.

• Like 1
Dainese954

Sorry to hear about the downgrade. Im debating to get a blue spotted ouffer, which is just like the puffer you have but with blue dots. Did you keep any zoa and hammers with your valentini puffer? if so, did it ever bother any of the corals? thanks

10 hours ago, Dainese954 said:

Sorry to hear about the downgrade. Im debating to get a blue spotted ouffer, which is just like the puffer you have but with blue dots. Did you keep any zoa and hammers with your valentini puffer? if so, did it ever bother any of the corals? thanks

No zoas, no hammers. Just mushrooms and gsp, which he did not touch.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Re-homed most of my fish, including the angel. I ended up giving it away, since I did not feel comfortable selling a fish with a possibly incurable infectious disease. Hopefully it just needed more time to heal.

I have someone coming for the puffer tomorrow, as well as some shrooms. Thinking of keeping the royal gramma and chromis since they will do well in a smaller tank but I'm not 100% sure on how I'm going to move and store livestock while the house gets fumigated so it depends on that. 

Dismantled my rock structures too, since they probably wont fit in a smaller tank. Still not sure what size I will end up down grading too, but I want to keep it simple. I only have a few hardy coral and macroalgae that I want to keep, so I'm looking for a size that I can fill up with what I have.

Overall I'm still a little sad and maybe have some feelings of regret but I know school will take up much more of time the next two years, so it will be harder to justify spending money on a larger tank that I don't have a lot of time for.

Bummer about that, but better to downgrade and keep what you can than to watch it all slowly fade from neglect (I speak from experience, unfortunately) .

What size are you thinking of doing now?

• Like 1
On 6/16/2017 at 11:51 PM, Squared said:

Re-homed most of my fish, including the angel. I ended up giving it away, since I did not feel comfortable selling a fish with a possibly incurable infectious disease. Hopefully it just needed more time to heal.

I have someone coming for the puffer tomorrow, as well as some shrooms. Thinking of keeping the royal gramma and chromis since they will do well in a smaller tank but I'm not 100% sure on how I'm going to move and store livestock while the house gets fumigated so it depends on that. 

Dismantled my rock structures too, since they probably wont fit in a smaller tank. Still not sure what size I will end up down grading too, but I want to keep it simple. I only have a few hardy coral and macroalgae that I want to keep, so I'm looking for a size that I can fill up with what I have.

Overall I'm still a little sad and maybe have some feelings of regret but I know school will take up much more of time the next two years, so it will be harder to justify spending money on a larger tank that I don't have a lot of time for.

Sounds like something simple and basic is exactly what you need. 

Best of luck to you!!

• Like 1

Ideally I would have no tank to worry about, but after 7 years of reefing I just can't live without having some cool fishies lol

• Like 1
sam_the_reefer

Wow, how did I miss this tank?! I like what you did with your macros. I've been seeing some Cladophora in my tank too, but after seeing this I'm definitely keeping them.

• Like 1