Pod Your Reef

Tamberav's IM10g! - Fish arrived sick :(

Tamberav

Segalplayer
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks! it is still here for now... I wish I could have tons of tanks but husband thinks I have too many... I may leave it up for a bit and claim I need it for 'quarantine' :ninja:

I wanted to upgrade because the macro is growing very fast and I want to give it more room to grow bigger colonies and look fuller. I hope the 25 is big enough lol

Lagoon mode (yellow) around 2-3 bars.

:lol: that's what I'm saying. I NEED IT FOR THE CORAL AND FISHES' HEALTH! Lol, I cannot wait to get my lagoon 25 in the near future.

Oh okay 2-3 bars up, I've been scared to go higher than one bar up on reefcrest. Have been using a rifling to alt between lagoon and reforest mode now. Although, I have been recently contemplating switching my mp10 to the other side. My original thought on placement was to break the flow from the slip stream but now there is a rock that would do the same thing. Any thoughts?

Sorry pic of the tank is rough. I will take a updated picture of the tank tonight when I get home from workomgomgomg (Acans were pissed off, not too sure why yet, will test when I get home)

Let me know your guys thoughts!

IMG_0900.PNG

22 minutes ago, Segalplayer said:

:lol: that's what I'm saying. I NEED IT FOR THE CORAL AND FISHES' HEALTH! Lol, I cannot wait to get my lagoon 25 in the near future.

Oh okay 2-3 bars up, I've been scared to go higher than one bar up on reefcrest. Have been using a rifling to alt between lagoon and reforest mode now. Although, I have been recently contemplating switching my mp10 to the other side. My original thought on placement was to break the flow from the slip stream but now there is a rock that would do the same thing. Any thoughts?

Sorry pic of the tank is rough. I will take a updated picture of the tank tonight when I get home from workomgomgomg (Acans were pissed off, not too sure why yet, will test when I get home)

Let me know your guys thoughts!

IMG_0900.PNG

I think reef crest is more powerful than lagoon for sure. 

Is that a little planter on the outside?

I honestly think you will be fine on either side unless you notice some dead spots. Flow has been soooo easy on these small tanks when putting something beasty in it like a mp10. 

I kind of like the island on the left side anyways, sort of breaks up and fills in that open gap since the back rock is leaning towards the right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lights were off but flipped them on because I wanted to share that the yellow is starting to resurface on this fiji coral :) seems to be coming back in patches. 

2018-04-03_03-57-18

• Like 6

Dang.. bad luck! I put in a order to Diver's Den on Monday for a firefish and a damsel (damsel for 22g and firefish for this 10g until the 25g is ready). They looked pristine and wonderful in the pictures on divers den but arrived in poor shape. 

The damsel has raised scales on one side and the tail fin is partially missing - he is in a QT atm.

The firefish has a little bit of tail damage and what looks like flukes. I didn't want the damsel beating the crap out of the firefish so he went in this 10g which isn't ideal. I guess I should have set up two QT. I'm not too apposed to using prazipro in the tank but kind of want to remove the shrimp/crabs first.

I sent a message to my vet on facebook to see if i can get some Chloroquine phosphate. I have some but if I could get some straight from the vet, it would be pure. To be honest I am not sure I know what the damsel has. It could be bacterial or also flukes but may try to get some more CP on hand in case. 

41215382622_ce03d348ed.jpgfirefish2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

41215376912_bc847d7de4.jpgfirefish1 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

41215374652_4dac54ca6a.jpgdamsel1 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

41215371762_381e3370ba.jpgdamsel2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Sad 2
49 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Oh no, sorry to hear/see that. Are these the risks of ordering online or is this backed by full satisfaction? 

LA/DD will refund losses no questions asked and have had them extend warranties before. Usually DD is very good as they quarantine the fish for 2+ weeks and everything is what you see is what you get but this order went poorly. I'm sure they will help me out, this sucks but doesn't really dissuade me from ordering again from them as I haven't seen anyone else with a better money back guarantee. 

"When you order live fish or any product from LiveAquaria.com, every purchase is a partnership, and our guarantee is our promise. That's why we've made our Arrive Alive, Stay Alive® Guarantee 100% risk-free. Because we believe that a partnership built on mutual faith and trust will always be stronger than one built on terms & conditions."

These are the exact fish I bought, so something ugly showed up in shipping. This is the first time I have received fish from Diver's Den with disease and I have ordered many many times from them.

lg-0402181-319.jpg

lg-0402181-150.jpg

CarolinaShoreReef

Oh wow that is great, if it’s anything like their DrF&S customer service, then I know it’s great.  I didn’t know they take pics of the fish you’re getting. 

16 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Oh wow that is great, if it’s anything like their DrF&S customer service, then I know it’s great.  I didn’t know they take pics of the fish you’re getting. 

Yeah they put up a lot of rare/hard to find fish on there and a mix of common ones to pick from. Their QT protocol is very involved and why I am surprised the fish still must have had some underlying problems. It makes me nervous because they treated them with a lot more crap than I have available.

This is how they QT (from 2 weeks to several months depending on how delicate a fish is):

We utilize a custom acclimation table featuring drip valves for new water and built-in drains to discard wastewater. The fish are released from the bags and placed in special acclimation units. Slide-in dividers allow us to separate fish during this time to further reduce potential fish stress. Water is dripped over the fish for an extended period to slowly adjust them to the water chemistry of our fish quarantine system.

To provide superior filtration and water quality, our quarantine system employs an independent filtration system with biological filtration, UV sterilization, ozone, and a large foam fractionator (protein skimmer). Unlike conventional glass quarantine aquariums, our advanced system is made up of compartmentalized acrylic cubes and tanks so fish can be separated based on size and temperament to reduce aggression and stress.

Directly after acclimation, the fish are kept in reduced- or no-light conditions for 12 to 24 hours. This is accomplished by placing blackout covers over the cubes and tanks. The specific species, origin, and transit time (overseas or a distributor in the U.S.) determines the duration of this stress-reduction period. Once the fish exhibit normal breathing and behavior (i.e. swimming properly), the tanks and cubes are uncovered and each fish is given a thorough inspection.

Fish, such as clownfish, prone to common parasitic ailments like Brooklynella hostilis, are given repeated freshwater baths that contain anti-parasite medication. Clownfish are quarantined for a minimum of four weeks at our facility before we offer them for sale. Other fish such as Angelfish, tangs, certain genus of wrasse, and several other specific species are given therapeutic saltwater baths. These baths contain praziquantel or other medications that eliminate flukes, protozoan, and parasites commonly found on wild fish.

To combat common bacterial infections such as Vibrio, therapeutic baths containing antibiotics such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Neomycin and other commercial antibiotics are given. Open wounds on fish are treated and healed with a special topical treatment. In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

Once they start feeding, all new fish that enter our facility, and can be successfully weaned onto prepared foods, are de-wormed, via frozen food soaked in praziquantel, metronidazole, and piperazine. After the de-worming process, we offer a variety of vitamin-enriched foods to all of the fish.

CarolinaShoreReef
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah they put up a lot of rare/hard to find fish on there and a mix of common ones to pick from. Their QT protocol is very involved and why I am surprised the fish still must have had some underlying problems. It makes me nervous because they treated them with a lot more crap than I have available.

This is how they QT (from 2 weeks to several months depending on how delicate a fish is):

We utilize a custom acclimation table featuring drip valves for new water and built-in drains to discard wastewater. The fish are released from the bags and placed in special acclimation units. Slide-in dividers allow us to separate fish during this time to further reduce potential fish stress. Water is dripped over the fish for an extended period to slowly adjust them to the water chemistry of our fish quarantine system.

To provide superior filtration and water quality, our quarantine system employs an independent filtration system with biological filtration, UV sterilization, ozone, and a large foam fractionator (protein skimmer). Unlike conventional glass quarantine aquariums, our advanced system is made up of compartmentalized acrylic cubes and tanks so fish can be separated based on size and temperament to reduce aggression and stress.

Directly after acclimation, the fish are kept in reduced- or no-light conditions for 12 to 24 hours. This is accomplished by placing blackout covers over the cubes and tanks. The specific species, origin, and transit time (overseas or a distributor in the U.S.) determines the duration of this stress-reduction period. Once the fish exhibit normal breathing and behavior (i.e. swimming properly), the tanks and cubes are uncovered and each fish is given a thorough inspection.

Fish, such as clownfish, prone to common parasitic ailments like Brooklynella hostilis, are given repeated freshwater baths that contain anti-parasite medication. Clownfish are quarantined for a minimum of four weeks at our facility before we offer them for sale. Other fish such as Angelfish, tangs, certain genus of wrasse, and several other specific species are given therapeutic saltwater baths. These baths contain praziquantel or other medications that eliminate flukes, protozoan, and parasites commonly found on wild fish.

To combat common bacterial infections such as Vibrio, therapeutic baths containing antibiotics such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Neomycin and other commercial antibiotics are given. Open wounds on fish are treated and healed with a special topical treatment. In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

Once they start feeding, all new fish that enter our facility, and can be successfully weaned onto prepared foods, are de-wormed, via frozen food soaked in praziquantel, metronidazole, and piperazine. After the de-worming process, we offer a variety of vitamin-enriched foods to all of the fish.

Wow they go through a lot. It was cool seeing neomycin on the list, knowing exactly what it does now because we just covered it in my genetic biochem class. :) I can’t bring myself to pay for the shipping without actually seeing the fish’s behavior... and I’m lucky that my LFS is good about listening to customer requests and keeps a wide variety of livestock. 

16 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Wow they go through a lot. It was cool seeing neomycin on the list, knowing exactly what it does now because we just covered it in my genetic biochem class. :) I can’t bring myself to pay for the shipping without actually seeing the fish’s behavior... and I’m lucky that my LFS is good about listening to customer requests and keeps a wide variety of livestock. 

My LFS tries to order stuff and sometimes able to get it in but I have only been able to find Starkii's on Diver's Den. Plus no one is probably going to give me a money back guarantee on fish for 2 weeks.

Shipping is free $99 and up which is easy to hit.

My Midas and Orchid Dottyback came from Diver's Den without issue. Usually I can get away with skipping a long QT with Diver's Den fish which makes it worth, just not this time! :(

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My LFS tries to order stuff and sometimes able to get it in but I have only been able to find Starkii's on Diver's Den. Plus no one is probably going to give me a money back guarantee on fish for 2 weeks.

Shipping is free $99 and up which is easy to hit.

My Midas and Orchid Dottyback came from Diver's Den without issue. Usually I can get away with skipping a long QT with Diver's Den fish which makes it worth, just not this time! :(

The guarantee is a huge factor. I’ve seen my lfs grant them sometimes but it’s heartening, even I wouldn’t make them cover a death. 

I didnt know they did free shipping after a threshold. I’ll be ordering online now if that’s for corals too! Thanks for letting me know! 

Youre definitely saving a headache ordering from them since they do all of the quarantining, that’s so cool. 

32 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

The guarantee is a huge factor. I’ve seen my lfs grant them sometimes but it’s heartening, even I wouldn’t make them cover a death. 

I didnt know they did free shipping after a threshold. I’ll be ordering online now if that’s for corals too! Thanks for letting me know! 

Youre definitely saving a headache ordering from them since they do all of the quarantining, that’s so cool. 

Yeah it includes everything, coral, freshwater, plants, inverts, clams, ect. I would not say they are set up like other coral places in that they have all different zoa's, ect but I have gotten some oddities there as they have some stuff no where else seems to carry with their DF&S brand. They do have the ORA stuff. LFS might be cheaper for corals depending on what you are looking for.

My thought was that firefish is sooo expensive that I wanted the best guarantee. I'll post back with what they say, sent them the photos. Jedimasterben just got a fish order from them without issue... damn my luck :P

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah it includes everything, coral, freshwater, plants, inverts, clams, ect. I would not say they are set up like other coral places in that they have all different zoa's, ect but I have gotten some oddities there as they have some stuff no where else seems to carry with their DF&S brand. They do have the ORA stuff. LFS might be cheaper for corals depending on what you are looking for.

My thought was that firefish is sooo expensive that I wanted the best guarantee. I'll post back with what they say, sent them the photos. Jedimasterben just got a fish order from them without issue... damn my luck :P

That’s really good to know. Totally changed my perspective on buying online. 

What kind of firefish is that? 

7 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

That’s really good to know. Totally changed my perspective on buying online. 

What kind of firefish is that? 

helfrichi firefish

CarolinaShoreReef
39 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

helfrichi firefish

We have like three of those rn they’re 59.99 or 79.99 I can’t remember but that’s what I thought it was. They look awesome in person.  

I've ordered often from Diver's Den for the same reasons...something I can't commonly get locally plus a great guarantee that I'll never have from the LFS. So if I'm getting a $25 fish from the lfs, it's not a big deal that there's no guarantee. But when I'm getting expensive fish, especially one that I can't get anywhere else, that two week guarantee is huge.

I've only had one issue, when a pom pom crab from Live Aquaria arrived minus a claw. They gave me full credit, no questions asked, and I simply ordered another one the next time I needed enough stuff to get free shipping.

• Like 1

I treated with prazipro right away but the disease is spreading fast, I don't have time to wait for a rX from the vet and to be shipped. I went ahead and treated with the CP I have on hand. I tried to get her to eat Metroplex in food but she spat it out so I dose the water instead. Now she has CP, Metroplex, and Prazipro all in there. I figure as fast is it is progressing, hell with it and toss everything in that might help Uronema or brook as those disease are pretty much do or die anyways. It's a damsel which is very susceptible to both those diseases.

I pretty much have a pharmacy of drugs for fish on hand but these disease is a poor prognosis anyways :(

I tested ammonia in the QT just in case and it was 0.

41269623371_1b9973df06.jpg2018-04-06_02-09-46 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef

You’re not in the US are you? If you’re on the east coast see if you have a Fintastic. I just got the flyer from today. How do these prices look on the fire fish to you? 

4BBA78EC-D998-46C3-8554-5C29299B825D.png

2 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

You’re not in the US are you? If you’re on the east coast see if you have a Fintastic. I just got the flier from today. How do these prices look on the fire fish to you? 

4BBA78EC-D998-46C3-8554-5C29299B825D.png

They look around exactly what my LFS sells them for too. I think DD/LA is a bit higher (except the weekly sale fish) but I pretty much buy there for the same reasons as teeny. I just want the guarentee on expensive fish. 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
29 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

They look around exactly what my LFS sells them for too. I think DD/LA is a bit higher (except the weekly sale fish) but I pretty much buy there for the same reasons as teeny. I just want the guarentee on expensive fish. 

Totally makes sense! 

Both fish are alive this morning, the damsels tank is cloudy, maybe from the cocktail of meds or maybe a bacterial bloom. I added an airline for more surface agitation. Ammonia reads 0 though I can't be positive its accurate with all the meds in there.

• Like 2

Live aquaria refunded me both fish and suggested prazipro for the firefish. 

Damsel didn't look any worse this morning so just waiting it out. Will try to feed them tonight. 

• Like 4