Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tamberav's IM10g! - Fish arrived sick :(

Tamberav

On 4/7/2018 at 10:26 PM, Tamberav said:

Both fish are eating! *fingers crossed* 

Thats great that they are eating.  I usually find if I can get sick fish to eat that their chances of recovery is pretty good. Best of luck to ya.

• Thanks 1

Well dang, woke up to find the firefish now displaying new symptoms, white discolored areas and bruising. I could tell by his swimming he was not going to make it. It is a bummer to see things die :( Perhaps I should have just put him with the damsel but was nervous to QT a firefish which originally only appeared to have flukes with a damsel that looks like it has uronema. I will let the tank go follow 8 weeks and will try one again in the future. I had one of these a few years ago from DD without issue so hopefully the next one comes in healthier. Perhaps something made it through the last batch of fish LA quarantined. 

The damsel which I thought would be the one to die is doing great so far though. 

52 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Dang, sorry about the firefish :(

But that's great news about the damsel. 

Thanks teeny! I am really hoping, the firefish is fairly easy to find/replace but the damsel is not a typical damsel and I had been looking for it for a few months. They tend to sell within minutes and I was scrambling to to buy it when it popped up. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks teeny! I am really hoping, the firefish is fairly easy to find/replace but the damsel is not a typical damsel and I had been looking for it for a few months. They tend to sell within minutes and I was scrambling to to buy it when it popped up. 

What kind of damsel is it?

Ahhh, I just saw the picture from the previous page, very pretty! I have a Springer's in my 30g, same basic idea. All the good things about damsels without the psychopathic serial killer personality :) 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Ahhh, I just saw the picture from the previous page, very pretty! I have a Springer's in my 30g, same basic idea. All the good things about damsels without the psychopathic serial killer personality :) 

I love those guys and the talbots too... it took me awhile to decide between the three. My midas blenny is kind of an ass so figured a starkii would be big enough to hold its own.

• Like 1

Starkii doing mostly okay.. It's grown part of its tail back and eating but hides all the time... Seems very sensitive to light... Possibly from the meds. It is still breathing fast and still has red gills but they were badly damaged from the parasites. Hopefully they can heal. 

I also have bryprosis in this tank. I had been fighting it but got behind plucking and it is trying to take over. I plan to frag some macro and dose fluconazole. It's not supposed to damage macro but fragging to be safe. 

When it rains it pours! 

• Like 2

Damsels tail looks great, gills look to be improving. HOWEVER, new symptom, today the damsel has a huge sore/cut on its mouth. Still eating.

Dosed the trifecta... Metroplex, Furan 2 and Kanaplex

So to recap:

Chloroquine phosphate

Prazipro

Metroplex

Furan 2

Kanaplex

I will let you know if the fish still has functioning kidneys in the morning... :eek:

• Wow 1
4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, if they don't make it, it won't be from lack of trying! Have you spent more than the value of the fish on medications yet? :wacko:

Well, I had all the meds on hand already but If I had bought them all, probably!. Even if they expire, powdered meds stored properly won't harm anything or lose much effectiveness so I keep a pharmacy of fish meds.  lol Furan 2 saved some zoa's from zoapox for me once *thumbs up*

CP: $12

Prazipro: $13

Metroplex: $7

Kanaplex: $7

Furan 2: $8

Sooo.. $47 in meds. 

Damsel appears to be feeling better today than the past few days, more active, less hiding, still eating. Perhaps the antibiotics have perked it up.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Hello! The fish was a fighter and made it a month? The fins completely healed as did the scales on the side. It suddenly ended up with a injury to its mouth and a fungal infection I just could not beat and I lost her 😞 I am fairly certain I cured the original parasite/infection but the fish hurt itself somehow. I think it was an injury because it was like a cut/scrape with very well defined borders, I could even see the old chunk of flesh hanging off like a perfect cut-out, nothing like a typical parasite. It was deep though and probably not treatable. Not sure how it happened, my cats do mess around with my tanks A LOT and scare fish... so possible she got spooked and crashed into something. I'm sure her immune system was in poor condition from everything she fought through.

I got a replacement from Diver's Den and this 2nd fish arrived in good health. 

I have saved some very very sick fish in the past. Ya win some, ya lose some.

• Sad 3