Coral Vue Hydros

Tamberav's IM10g! - Fish arrived sick :(

Tamberav

hey Tam, doesn't the IM10L come with a top? how is this one better than the one that came with the tank? 

also...2 clowns in a 10 gal?  :mellow:

On 7/20/2016 at 4:34 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Just gonna have it all in my one thread. You do realize I have 24 aquariums right?

for hobby or do you make money off these aquariums?  :o  :blink:  :rolleyes:  :blink:  :o

• Like 1

Your 10 still looks great!  Macro tanks are always fun :).  Looks like you have a really nice macro variety!  I loved the leather in your tank's previous life.  I see you still have one at the sand level.  Softies with macro is always a perfect combo :).

Sorry about the loss of your cat :(

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

hey Tam, doesn't the IM10L come with a top? how is this one better than the one that came with the tank? 

for hobby or do you make money off these aquariums?  :o  :blink:  :rolleyes:  :blink:  :o

It comes with a top but I find the clips distracting and the top has gaps around the edge so small gobies (like my greenbandeds I had) and small blennies will jump to their death. It also has a thick mesh that blocks a fair amount of light.

The clowns used to be in a 40 breeder and spent most of their life there, couple years at least, but I had to sell it off due to moving to another state. I tried to rehome the clowns but could not find anyone to take them even for free. So they went into a 5g until I could buy this 10g and now I did find a home for them eventually and they are in a 300g now. I do not feel 2 clowns belong in a 10g cube but it is what it is. Right now I don't have any fish, maybe do a small blenny and a goby, we'll see.

This is just a hobby, only money I make is selling some frags now and again.

49 minutes ago, gena said:

Your 10 still looks great!  Macro tanks are always fun :).  Looks like you have a really nice macro variety!  I loved the leather in your tank's previous life.  I see you still have one at the sand level.  Softies with macro is always a perfect combo :).

Sorry about the loss of your cat :(

Thank you gena! Natawni was very dear to me, it sucks we can not have our pets with us longer. She was my little life raft in life's turbulent waters. 

I have so many macros I am not sure I have room lol... I just crammed some more types in today. I think I even spied some blue scroll starting to grow off the rock. This rock was in a macro display tank I had on my 75g so stuff is just literally popping out of the rock even though the rock was kept in the dark for a few weeks. That is the same leather, it is just mad about being kept in the dark for awhile after I moved and fragged off the rock. It should recover nicely though. I love softies and the way they flow, I think the leather will give a nice pop to the tank too.

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, you've done your part to save wildlife from Irma!

:P:lol: I tried to order a Orchid Dottyback from ORA yesterday but they already stopped shipping. I hope everyone stays safe down there. 

• Like 4

Yes :(.  We got hit hard with pet losses the last 2 years.  I lost my two cats in 2015 (19 years old) and our dog last year.  Tough is what it is :(

That's awesome that you have it popping out of the rocks like that.  That is so much more rewarding than buying and placing it in the tank.  Oh awesome!!!!!!  I loved that leather...so glad it's the same one :wub:.

7 hours ago, Friendly said:

People put clown pairs in 10g all the time. ;)

Tank is looking nice, I love macros! :wub:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey Tam, how many of your 24 tanks are salt and how many are fresh?

I think that was StinkyBunny who said he has that many.  And he does a lot of importing so it would make sense for him to have a lot of tanks.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

People put clown pairs in 10g all the time. ;)

Yep!  I see it all the time too.  I have 2 in my IM 10g.  They appear to be doing just fine in it.  Mine are full grown too.  But honestly, when I start over again, I won't put clowns in it.  I don't think???  They can be overwhelming to other residents in a smaller space like that. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, gena said:

Yep!  I see it all the time too.  I have 2 in my IM 10g.  They appear to be doing just fine in it.  Mine are full grown too.  But honestly, when I start over again, I won't put clowns in it.  I don't think???  They can be overwhelming to other residents in a smaller space like that. 

Wonder if it works better if they're smaller starting out. I don't think I have space for much more than a ten, and, well, clowns were one of the reasons I got into the hobby lol.

• Like 1

I think they'll be fine in the 10 because even full-grown mine are doing great.  Or appear to be.  You just wouldn't want to have any other big fish with them as they can be kinda territorial in such a small space.  They do fine with my PSW and GCG though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

I think they'll be fine in the 10 because even full-grown mine are doing great.  Or appear to be.  You just wouldn't want to have any other big fish with them as they can be kinda territorial in such a small space.  They do fine with my PSW and GCG though.

Both fish I want to have! :happy:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Both fish I want to have! :happy:

:happy:

My clowns grew up with a PSW so they are quite welcoming to that species.  My helfrichi firefish...they did NOT like that fish at all.  Weird how that works.

• Like 1

If I had 24 tanks, my husband would leave me :P

The clowns did just fine in the 10g but it is limited swimming and my clowns always use most of a tank regardless of size, even when hosting a BTA. They are captive bred so they seem more adaptable to what might be stressful to another similar sized fish. I do like keeping smaller fish in smaller tanks but that has to do mostly with my personal enjoyment of those fish and it is easier to find them in a small tank.

I have seen some enormous clowns I would never put in a 10g, makes me wonder how old they are as mine are not even close to that size after several years in 40g or if its just genetics. Some maybe were wild caught but I even saw a giant snowflake so.. :huh: 

On another note....my female Percula outgrew my 4 year old female snowflake in 2 years but the male percula is teeny tiny compared to my male snowflake. Maybe difference in type of clowns? Hormones? Lineage? 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Macros growing in :D

Need to upgrade some parts on the nano-box so have a coral compulsion fuge par30 running. Holy shit this thing always grows and colors up macros like mad. Easily notice the difference, not that nano-box isn't the bomb... this CC bulb was just made for this.

I also had an explosion of coraline soon after too! I mean... the bulb is designed to grow algae and coraline is an algae, ya?

I had this same thing happen in my 40g years ago, almost no coraline in the DT (using reef-breeders) but every surface was thickly encrusted with pink in the fuge using this light.

37369523900_eaeab45425_c.jpg2017-10-10_10-37-13 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

The bad part is I had no turf algae with the nano-box but now its thriving too. I may have to keep this bulb if I can keep the turf under control. Corals don't look as nice obv under this bulb since it has a bunch of red but it has enough white and blue that it is still pleasing for macro. I would post a FTS but I need to clean the glass...

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Oh my!! So after the huge coraline explosion I had a huge GHA explosion :lol: 

I fragged all my macros and tossed the GHA parts and started over. The rocks all got a dip in peroxide/tank water and some hermits were added and it was clean again in 2 days. 

I only have a pom pom crab and a blue banded coral shrimp. They are both shy though. I did ask my LFS to try and get in a ORA captive bred yellow basslet. 

I got an elegance coral from Divers Den but it arrived in very poor shape, do these maybe not ship well? All shriveled ans sad :( It is looking better but basically no tentacles left. I was going to put it in my 20g but felt this 10g would be better for recovery, lower light and lower flow.

Also I realized I really love having this tank next to my bed but that it really isn't big enough for macro addiction. I am looking into setting up a IM 20g or IM 25g Lagoon for macros. Going to wait for a sale though. I will keep this tank though, just add more softies and move some of the macros out, keep a few for export. 

I do have to compromise for the husband though, so my only FW tank will be coming down. I have had some of the plants for over 15 years so it will be a bittersweet goodbye. Worth noting is the frag of green nepthea in this tank is an original frag from one of my first corals in my first tank many years ago, over 10 years this coral has been with me. I got rid of the colony in my last move but made sure to keep a piece. It has survived every tank disaster ever! I am super attached to it now lol :wub:

Light over this is a Coral Compulsion par 30. 

2018-02-20_05-56-05

• Like 5

Quick photo of the blue banded coral shrimp.... These guys usually get a bad rap but the blue ones max out at only 1.5 inches and can't really hurt much of anything. When he accidently stumbles upon the pom pom crab.. He runs away. 

They are shy but he makes his appearance during feeding time. 

The elegance is eating mysis I offer... Guess time will tell if it can recover. 

I love how links are automatically embedded now... 

2018-02-23_01-57-18

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Quick photo of the blue banded coral shrimp.... These guys usually get a bad rap but the blue ones max out at only 1.5 inches and can't really hurt much of anything. When he accidently stumbles upon the pom pom crab.. He runs away. 

They are shy but he makes his appearance during feeding time. 

The elegance is eating mysis I offer... Guess time will tell if it can recover. 

I love how links are automatically embedded now... 

2018-02-23_01-57-18

The blue banded shrimp is adorable! I've only seen one blue banded for sale at my LFS, and that was years ago. How are they, temperament-wise? I like your tank btw. Anything with macro looks lovely to me. Sorry to hear about your cat - a loss like that can be hard, crippling even. Are you planning on adding a small blenny to this? Might I recommend a Pictus blenny? :)

• Like 2