SaltCritters.com

HELP is my anemone dying

aaron92

No tank info, no parameter info, blurry picture and no history of the tank or the anemone so I can't really help. Rarely can a problem be diagnosed from a single picture. Can you provide more information? :)

Sorry I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and between 0 - 5 ppm nitrate and 1.025 salinity level I've not tested calcium etc as I thought that was more corals etc ?

gulfsurfer101

Take out the rock it's attached to and put it in a 5g bucket. Use some antiobotics like from api and run an air bubbler of you have one! Give it 24hrs in there. If it starts to react to light and you can see it moving it might make a comback. If not toss itbout and spare your tank. If it melts in your tank you can kiss everything goodbye! I had one ripped into pieces by my old vortec mp20. This is how I saved it. One piece completely died, the other two that were barely attached at the foot combined back together but had a nasty scar. I put it in its own tank under low lighting and very low flow for about two months while it healed. It lived to be one of the most vibrant bta's I've kept.

Take out the rock it's attached to and put it in a 5g bucket. Use some antiobotics like from api and run an air bubbler of you have one! Give it 24hrs in there. If it starts to react to light and you can see it moving it might make a comback. If not toss itbout and spare your tank. If it melts in your tank you can kiss everything goodbye! I had one ripped into pieces by my old vortec mp20. This is how I saved it. One piece completely died, the other two that were barely attached at the foot combined back together but had a nasty scar. I put it in its own tank under low lighting and very low flow for about two months while it healed. It lived to be one of the most vibrant bta's I've kept.

+1

If it is dying, don't let it die in your tank. Even if everything survives, the stress it will cause to the tank will surely cause bad things to happen later.

gulfsurfer101

You never want a nem dying in your tank. It'll fall apart and slime everything and release toxins into your tank. All your rock and coral will be coated and then bad things start too happen. It's like a chain reaction.

I had an anemone die in my tank a few days ago.... Luckily I immediately saw it and siphoned it out using 1" tubing. Then I put in extra carbon, skimmed wet, and changed floss often. Tank looks fine- so I would recommend keeping a close eye on it and immediately removing it if it dies.

What lighting do you have?

I have a small 15l tank that I'm just waiting for it to get up to temp with an air bubbler in I will move the anemone and the piece of rock into that tank as I don't want it wiping out my tank

I had a bta die on my Powerhead while I was out. I came home to a cloudy tank. Did a massive water change and another one the next day as well as changed all filter media and everything cleared up and was doing fine. A week later, my clowns came down with velvet and died. The stress caused them to weaken and succumb to the disease. Now my tank is fishless until Christmas to make sure the parasite is irradicated. All because of anemone soup.

gulfsurfer101

An ounce of prevention goes a long way. That nem is a gonner btw if you don't get some meds in the water. I like those api tea oils. Something about them seem to bring these back from certain death in my experiences.

image_zps0ixnizea.jpeg

Fingers crossed thanks for the help

I think it may have not been eating as my shrimp and clown fish keep stealing the food off it

I'm not quite sure what lights they are one is white and the other is blue my lfs supplied them with the tank they may be due for replacement as I think they are more than a year old now , and oki will get some of the app stuff tommorow and add that to the tank

image_zps0ixnizea.jpeg

Fingers crossed thanks for the help

I think it may have not been eating as my shrimp and clown fish keep stealing the food off it

I'm not quite sure what lights they are one is white and the other is blue my lfs supplied them with the tank they may be due for replacement as I think they are more than a year old now , and oki will get some of the app stuff tommorow and add that to the tank

I think your lighting is insufficient for an anemone. Do you have a picture of it?

Would a picture of the tank with the light on be sufficient

A picture of the light itself (with the lights off) would be better so we can tell you what type/brand it is and whether it is sufficient. I believe that anemone looks like that due to a lighting issue.

image_zpsmffsde4x.jpeg

image_zpswzf1khlf.jpeg

image_zpsxtdbn3uk.jpeg

image_zpsj451s3ah.jpeg

My tank is a juwel lido 200 with the standard light bar

Thanks for all the help guys I was expecting a load of thread bashing

Aha unfortunately thats what I was expecting, that is a freshwater light and does not have nearly the required output for corals.

I would take the anemone back if possible or upgrade lighting ASAP.

No bashing here, everyone starts somewhere :)

Can I change just the bulbs if so what do you suggest and I will get them asap as I have two anemone and I can't take them back as I brought them off a guy who I no who was getting rid off his tank

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with that aquarium, but I believe you will need another light fixture rather than a bulb change. That tank is set up for freshwater only.

If you are willing to go hoodless you could use a 4x24w T5 fixture or a LED fixture from eBay for around $80.

I would see if your local fish store could hold the anemones while you look into upgrading your lights.

Lot of good sales right now. AI prime could cover that tank and it's only $200 for full spectrum. Amazon prime and you'll have it in 2 days.

I've just ordered 2x t5 28w high lite bulbs that fit in my holder and then some reflectors that clip onto those bulbs to stop the upwards light being wasted, will try that and see if it works if not I will have to go topless I just don't like the idea of this due to the evaporation then

Archived