Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gooburz Deep Blue 80 Breeder Build! 27 Nov, lots of PICS!

Gooburz

jedimasterben

8486b8dce2f8084334d3b10762dec41e.jpg

After having both the Gyre 150 and 130 on this same tank, I would probably recommend you the 150 over the 130. The Herbie drain setup is an excellent choice. Will you be running the return over the back or drilling it? Deep Blue said that none of the panels are tempered on this model.

8486b8dce2f8084334d3b10762dec41e.jpg

After having both the Gyre 150 and 130 on this same tank, I would probably recommend you the 150 over the 130. The Herbie drain setup is an excellent choice. Will you be running the return over the back or drilling it? Deep Blue said that none of the panels are tempered on this model.

Being that I've never drilled a tank I'm just going to use the small over the back return and just plumb it right up to my overflow so it won't be noticeable. The herbie slows down my flow a little bit in my sump but I am not doing the sump for flow, having it go at about 400gph or a little less is just fine with me to have the peace of mind using a herbie style overflow.

Just saw that my Bubble Mag Curve 7 arrived and I think my wife is more excited than me because she is going to open it up and I won't get to see it till tomorrow hahaha. Man I can't wait to start leave tomorrow and then set up this tank on the weekend, it's like Christmas, birthday, New Years.....every holiday at once it feels like!

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Being that I've never drilled a tank I'm just going to use the small over the back return and just plumb it right up to my overflow so it won't be noticeable. The herbie slows down my flow a little bit in my sump but I am not doing the sump for flow, having it go at about 400gph or a little less is just fine with me to have the peace of mind using a herbie style overflow.

Just saw that my Bubble Mag Curve 7 arrived and I think my wife is more excited than me because she is going to open it up and I won't get to see it till tomorrow hahaha. Man I can't wait to start leave tomorrow and then set up this tank on the weekend, it's like Christmas, birthday, New Years.....every holiday at once it feels like!

Actually, a Herbie drain can handle significantly more flow than the stock Durso setup. Use the 3/4" drain as the full siphon and the 1" as the Durso trickle drain. That was the only way I could ever get the drain silenced. Was super quiet afterwards, though to eliminate noise in the overflow itself I had to raise the Durso standpipe up and add a cover to the overflow.

• Like 1

Actually, a Herbie drain can handle significantly more flow than the stock Durso setup. Use the 3/4" drain as the full siphon and the 1" as the Durso trickle drain. That was the only way I could ever get the drain silenced. Was super quiet afterwards, though to eliminate noise in the overflow itself I had to raise the Durso standpipe up and add a cover to the overflow.

What kind of flow can the 3/4" handle? I have a durso that I could add to the 1" drain to make sure it's good, I'm gonna try it straight pipe at first to see how it is. I just gotta figure out the height to put the 1" pipe at, the 3/4 inch I'm only going to keep it like 6" tall from the bottom unless you can recommend a better height.

Hey! You got your tank thread up and running! Welcome back( late is better than never, right?), I never got a chance to check out that new LFS for yah, sorry man. Was onboard your ship the other day, checking out the 25mm cannons. Looking forward to the build!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

What kind of flow can the 3/4" handle? I have a durso that I could add to the 1" drain to make sure it's good, I'm gonna try it straight pipe at first to see how it is. I just gotta figure out the height to put the 1" pipe at, the 3/4 inch I'm only going to keep it like 6" tall from the bottom unless you can recommend a better height.

Flow rate is determined partly by diameter and partly by the difference in height. Let's say your sump water line was only 6" below the entrance to the 3/4" full siphon drain pipe. That pipe would flow ~545GPH maximum. If you increase the distance between the two to 12", it can now flow 771GPH. Gravity continues to pull the water down faster and faster as height increases, and realistically, you're looking at at least 36" in height difference, so the 3/4" drain can flow WAY more than you'd ever need to push through it. :)http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16768750#post16768750

For the full siphon drain, if you are not going to use 90s, then it needs to be at least 6" below the bottom of the overflow grate so that it can activate the full siphon without creating a vortex and pulling in air. You can also use two 90 fittings at the end of your full siphon standpipe so that it no longer needs that 6" - as soon as water starts to enter the pipe, the full siphon starts.

For the Durso trickle drain, you want it to be tall enough so that the water entering the overflow falls as little as possible to avoid noise. To do this, I had to increase the standpipe length, this you will have to play around with to find where you need it to be. Remember to use 1.25" pipe for the Durso, for some reason they need to be one size up from the bulkhead size.

Hey! You got your tank thread up and running! Welcome back( late is better than never, right?), I never got a chance to check out that new LFS for yah, sorry man. Was onboard your ship the other day, checking out the 25mm cannons. Looking forward to the build!

I did get to go check out Aquariums Unlimited and it's a really nice place, very helpful people there too. Sadly they were cleaned out because of the Veterans day sale they did which sadly I missed. I was on watch yesterday from 0700-1200 so I prolly saw you come on and didn't even realize it haha.

Flow rate is determined partly by diameter and partly by the difference in height. Let's say your sump water line was only 6" below the entrance to the 3/4" full siphon drain pipe. That pipe would flow ~545GPH maximum. If you increase the distance between the two to 12", it can now flow 771GPH. Gravity continues to pull the water down faster and faster as height increases, and realistically, you're looking at at least 36" in height difference, so the 3/4" drain can flow WAY more than you'd ever need to push through it. :)http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16768750#post16768750

For the full siphon drain, if you are not going to use 90s, then it needs to be at least 6" below the bottom of the overflow grate so that it can activate the full siphon without creating a vortex and pulling in air. You can also use two 90 fittings at the end of your full siphon standpipe so that it no longer needs that 6" - as soon as water starts to enter the pipe, the full siphon starts.

For the Durso trickle drain, you want it to be tall enough so that the water entering the overflow falls as little as possible to avoid noise. To do this, I had to increase the standpipe length, this you will have to play around with to find where you need it to be. Remember to use 1.25" pipe for the Durso, for some reason they need to be one size up from the bulkhead size.

I'll be able to do the full siphon at the right height no problem, as far as the Durso trickle I figured I'd have to play with it a bit to make sure it stays silent or as quiet as possible. I figure worst case scenario is I'll set it up and run it and then have to take it apart and cut here and there to make it fit properly. I may just wind up doing it as a full siphon as well with a grate on it and skip the durso part. IDK, I'll see how it goes Sat when setting it up. I do love your input since you did this tank already :)

For now I'm going to be using 3 Hydor 850gph pumps and my retun which will be around 400ish-500ish. For now that will be fine until I can throw the maxspect on sometime after the New Year, only have sofites in the tank anyways so I don't need uber SPS flow.

• Like 1

Unpacked skimmer just now, I'll leave you with these couple of pics. Bubble Magus Curve 7!

Sitting on top of my 40 breeder, man it dwarfs my PSK-100 in the background

12241690_10153654687221224_5144064690593

Sitting on top of the finished stand.....well just gotta put doors on so basically finished.

12234891_10153654687246224_8237647112174

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I'll be able to do the full siphon at the right height no problem, as far as the Durso trickle I figured I'd have to play with it a bit to make sure it stays silent or as quiet as possible. I figure worst case scenario is I'll set it up and run it and then have to take it apart and cut here and there to make it fit properly. I may just wind up doing it as a full siphon as well with a grate on it and skip the durso part. IDK, I'll see how it goes Sat when setting it up. I do love your input since you did this tank already :)

For now I'm going to be using 3 Hydor 850gph pumps and my retun which will be around 400ish-500ish. For now that will be fine until I can throw the maxspect on sometime after the New Year, only have sofites in the tank anyways so I don't need uber SPS flow.

Yeah, just gotta get your return pump pushing the correct amount of flow that you want, then turn the valve on the full siphon drain until the Durso only has a trickle coming out of it. Then let it run for a week or so and get slimy, then if you have any noise in the overflow, make the Durso standpipe itself a little taller and try again. It's just standard thin wall 1.25" PVC, super cheap to extend it :)

As for flow, you'd be surprised. You will get significantly better polyp extension and growth from soft corals if you treat them like SPS, high intermittent flow and high to very high light. Only some zoas need lower light. Leathers, palys, etc have very high photosaturation points.

• Like 1

Yeah, just gotta get your return pump pushing the correct amount of flow that you want, then turn the valve on the full siphon drain until the Durso only has a trickle coming out of it. Then let it run for a week or so and get slimy, then if you have any noise in the overflow, make the Durso standpipe itself a little taller and try again. It's just standard thin wall 1.25" PVC, super cheap to extend it :)

As for flow, you'd be surprised. You will get significantly better polyp extension and growth from soft corals if you treat them like SPS, high intermittent flow and high to very high light. Only some zoas need lower light. Leathers, palys, etc have very high photosaturation points.

We'll for now with the pumps I have and return pump I'll be running about 3,000 gph which is about 40x's tank volume so the flow will be fine for a couple months till I get the Gyre.

Yeah the pvc parts are dirt cheap, just a bit time consuming to get it dialed in the way I'll want. Thank God I'm on leave for the next 2 weeks!!!!!

• Like 1

Nice looking skimmer, and I think pics of the stand being stained are due! :P

+1

Yes I know I know, way overdue with some pics. I'm finally on leave and just finished the stand last night. Just in time because the tank goes LIVE today!!!!

So here is the stand fullyish done, still gotta put the door handles on but thats gonna have to wait.

20151121_091221.jpg

20151121_091233.jpg

20151121_091243.jpg

Now the mess of getting everything ready for the tank going live today, it's gonna get worse before it gets better lol. Thank god for an understanding wife to let this stay this way all week.

20151121_091252.jpg

I also got the new light mounted, my Reef Breeders fixture and I'm just in aww over the color that this thing puts off, my Samsung Note 5 doesn't do it justice but the thing is amazing!

20151120_132536.jpg

20151120_132904.jpg

Well That's all I have for now, setting up the tank today so many more pics to come!

• Like 4
righttirefire

Awesome! I get "support" from the old lady, but she's mostly unentertained. Than she's caught staring! Definately no where close to your wife in the tank support side.

Its looking awesome. You're not doing I 1 day change are you. I thought the new tank was going somewhere else in the house

• Like 1

WOW, today was a long day, I started at 0900 and now I'm finally done at 1800, what a day! So breaking down the 40 gallon and putting everything into a holding tub was the easy part!

20151121_091252_1.jpg

20151121_112303.jpg

20151121_112312.jpg

Then came putting the new tank on the stand and getting sand in, sump underneath and plumbing done. Keep in mind I had 75 gallons of saltwater already made and up to temp ready to go the day prior. All the plumbing fittings were already glued and ready to be installed.

20151121_130638.jpg

So I was using the gravel vac to pump water into the sump and then the return pump to put water into the tank! Think smart and not work hard, worked like a charm!

20151121_131118.jpg

20151121_142033.jpg

And a few hours later everyone got added back into the tank, everyone is swimming around and happy as can be, even the corals are opening more and more faster and faster. Water is clearing up super fast! Skimmer is already pulling stuff out which I'm stoked for.

20151121_163140.jpg

I will post more pics tomorrow with clearer images but this is what I've got for today guys! Camera can't keep up with the light, I'll get better shots tomorrow hopefully

20151121_170330.jpg

20151121_163204.jpg

Well guys it was a year in the waiting, can't wait to see the water in the morning and should be crystal clear by then! I'll try to get some moonlight shots this evening and post them. Let me know what you all think. OH BTW HUGE thanks to Joshky and Jedi for their inputs, doing the overflow with the herbie style and it is DEAD silent! Took about an hour to dial in correct and now you don't hear anything! You guys rock!

• Like 6

Thank you! Let me start off by saying this was and has been my dream tank, didn't know Deep Blue made this thing of beauty but when I learned it 1 month before deployment my mind was made up. Thankfully due to a REALLY busy mission and crappy port calls I was able to save up some major $$bank$$ and made this possible. I am VERY understocked right now on fish but that will be fixed soon enough but like I always do I'll be taking it slow.

Awesome. Congratulation!

AWESOME!

Huzzah!

Does your sump not have baffles?

No baffles in the sump and no micro bubbles either coming into the display so that's a huge plus. I have a HUGE amount of room in the middle of it which I'm going to make a custom egg crate box and do a nice big Chaeto grow out. Skimmer is still breaking in so hopefully it will be rocking within a few days.

Right now the Bubble Mag 7 is in like 10" of water so I hope that is enough, I've read some stories that those skimmers like deeper waters so we'll see. It's acting like a new skimmer with the bubble level really low since the tank is SUPER clean right now with a VERY light bio-load. Now I gotta get on the hunt for the egg crate, hopefully Home Depot has it and then find some Chaeto and get my POD population growing.

As far as fish I was looking to do either 1-2 larger fish or a school of fish, my wife likes the idea of a school of fish and I was debating between Cardinals or going Chromis fish. She likes the Chromis the most so I'll try to add 4-6 of them in the near future.

I love my 1 blue/green chromis... get 10 of them. Lol.sorry, bad idea.

haha yeah I'd be feeding them non-stop too. I figured they would be the best option and be cheap too. Right now I have a clown pair, starry blenny, royal gramma and chalk bass.

Tank already cleared up for the end of the evening, shocked it cleared up as fast as it did.

20151121_200231.jpg

20151122_001258.jpg

Really need a better camera, all I got is my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

• Like 4
righttirefire

Don't let the fancy pants people with their cameras stop you. Cell phones are better than cameras even 5 years ago.

I use my phone for all my pictures. If you want to see something come over and look yourself. The lights aren't to true to eyes anyways