Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

i didnt realize those coupons counted for MAP items.....

Maybe thats how my girlfriend will get her red sea nano!

crap, you are right. I didnt see MAP restriction till I add to cart. Tricky. But I bought mine from BRS with 10% rewards so if you looking for the nano, get it from BRS during their group buy =).

also not a bad idea. I am waiting for quite a while but as of right now thats the plan, The girlfriend wants her own tank and i would help her with it but essentially itll be hers. Im planning on the nano, a small aquamaxx skimmer and an xr15 pro.

• Like 2

Thanks! White stand is a must since our kitchen and decor is all white. I will post some pics soon to show how the tank matches the rest of the house

i'm sure its silly, but one of the reasons my last tank had to go is that i couldn't stand having a huge piece of black (and oddly sized!!) furniture in my living room anymore. i'm SO much happier now that i have a tank on a piece of white furniture.

• Like 3

The Sicce Syncra pumps are awesome and dead silent once they break in. As long as you are comfortable with under 1k GPH flow, you can get most of the models for under $150. Their customer service is pretty spectacular, too.

• Like 2

The Sicce Syncra pumps are awesome and dead silent once they break in. As long as you are comfortable with under 1k GPH flow, you can get most of the models for under $150. Their customer service is pretty spectacular, too.

100% agree.

• Like 1

Sump question for everyone. The middle chamber in the sump is huge and the Magnus Curve 5 barely takes up half the space. If I want a refugium for pods and chaeto, can I put the chaeto in a breeder box next to the skimmer??

318Q8SbJTxL.jpg

better idea would be to put a net breeder box, or build an eggcrate cage.

• Like 1

Water is all done and this thing is DEAD SILENT when you dial it in right. Only issue is my stupid Rio pump being super noisy. Any recommendations for a better pump that's not over $150???

Eheim compact 3000 is what im running. Silent and good flow, wish it had a little more though. Im considering upgrading to the Jebao DCT 6000. Im sure that would be good in your tank and i think its sub 150 on amazon

new episode of stupid things ninja did:

wiggle the return pump while the system is running to try and silence it. The return pump has a flow control valve thingy and it came loose and water flew everywhere and onto new hardwood floors and under the stand. Lucky wife is not home from work yet. I hate this pump now and scared to run it and have the valve come loose in the middle of the night. Stupid pump.

Sicce 4.0 is 951 GPH but $172...hmmm....

Eheim compact 3000 is what im running. Silent and good flow, wish it had a little more though. Im considering upgrading to the Jebao DCT 6000. Im sure that would be good in your tank and i think its sub 150 on amazon

The Eheim 3000 is rated for 792 GPH and the reefer 250 only needs 660 GPH right? If you think that's not enough for the 250, it's definitely not enough for the 350...

open top on the net breeder box will allow more flow.

would chaeto get out of the open top? that's what i am most worried about, chaeto pieces clogging the pump in the skimmer since they are in the same chamber

• Like 1

would chaeto get out of the open top? that's what i am most worried about, chaeto pieces clogging the pump in the skimmer since they are in the same chamber

should stay in there just fine

• Like 1

The Eheim 3000 is rated for 792 GPH and the reefer 250 only needs 660 GPH right? If you think that's not enough for the 250, it's definitely not enough for the 350...

i was more commenting on the fact that the eheim compacts are nice silent pumps. they go up to 5000+ i believe which is 1300gph i want to say. too lazy to google but still.

Mine is super noisy. How long did it take yours to break in? It was so bad I couldn't sleep.

Mine is super noisy. How long did it take yours to break in? It was so bad I couldn't sleep.

A week or so. My first impeller was bad (which was definitely noisy), but they sent a new one out to me immediately and it fixed the issue.

yea but it's sold by some 3rd party and the reviews said they received used pumps from them =(.

Ah. I didn't read the reviews. Sicce makes great pumps, but if you wanted one I would probably pay the extra $ for peace of mind.

Today is just not my day. Trying to set up the Apex and the stupid thing requires a wired connection. Of course my modem is upstairs in the closet and tank is downstairs. I knew this will probably happen so I bought a TP-Link AV200 Powerline tech wizard thingy that is suppose to let me extend a wired internet connection from one power outlet to another. And of course it doesn't work for the outlet by the tank. My house must have two different circuits. The outlets in the kitchen work fine but not the living room. Sigh. At first I thought it was my ethernet cable so I paid for 1-day shipping from Amazon for a new one. What a waste of $30 for the AV200 and $10 for the ethernet cable.

I ended up getting the Eheim Compact+ 3000 after reading other Red Sea Reefer builds in the UK using that pump. I thought about getting the Jebao DCT 6000 but I am not a fan of China knockoffs...and I am Chinese...haha.

• Like 1

Today is just not my day. Trying to set up the Apex and the stupid thing requires a wired connection. Of course my modem is upstairs in the closet and tank is downstairs. I knew this will probably happen so I bought a TP-Link AV200 Powerline tech wizard thingy that is suppose to let me extend a wired internet connection from one power outlet to another. And of course it doesn't work for the outlet by the tank. My house must have two different circuits. The outlets in the kitchen work fine but not the living room. Sigh. At first I thought it was my ethernet cable so I paid for 1-day shipping from Amazon for a new one. What a waste of $30 for the AV200 and $10 for the ethernet cable.

I ended up getting the Eheim Compact+ 3000 after reading other Red Sea Reefer builds in the UK using that pump. I thought about getting the Jebao DCT 6000 but I am not a fan of China knockoffs...and I am Chinese...haha.

Get a mini-wireless adapter dude. Its like $22.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447291738&sr=1-6&keywords=netgear+wireless+adapter

I used the same one on my Apex; no issues.

Dunno. Worked fine for me; the one you linked looks complicated IMO>

Difference that I see:

The one you linked has to be directly in a power outlet

The one I linked has a power cord, so can be moved?

Probably the same for a low-demand device like the apex

sooo....cycle is complete i think. I been dosing pure ammonia as I have been filling the tank the past few days. Also transferred some Seachem Matrix biomedia from 12 gallons to here. This morning ammonia test was dark green. Poured a bottle of Biospira this afternoon and now test is light green. My API test kit always show light green instead of yellow when there's no ammonia.

only thing missing is that damn tank mount for the light...

can i add fish though before the light is up???? they will have a bit of natural light from the windows....

Mikeymikemike

What do the other rocks look like? I think you have more room for complexity. With base rock you can add the fish right away since the rocks won't add nutrients.

I'm thinking you could lengthen that arch and raise it by 3 inches. Shape it into a concave shape. Furthermore you can add a little height to the right side or turn it diagonally so it adds a bit of depth. Right now the scape has more potential but it looks a bit 2 dimensional. The negative space is a little too much in this tank. Aim for around 40/60 hard scape to space ratio. If you have the rock! I would go experiment!

• Like 2