SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

46563272801_1b811c4140_c.jpg

34480505052_db1481f286_c.jpg

30957657950_1e3020503e_c.jpg

29062353862_68b385e6d3_c.jpg

28026747625_2a4b09cb43_c.jpg

26255633746_67e69aa8a1_c.jpg

25852425132_dab8d6232b_c.jpg

24092714723_ac0a12a571_c.jpg

24198550865_6d2b717e6b_c.jpg

23934154785_a3ee03f17c_c.jpg

Background:
After two nano tanks, I decided to go bigger the better. Main focus will be on fish and SPS. I want lots of open swimming fish with colonies of SPS backdrop. Sprinkle in some toxic hammer / zoas / rics / blastos / brains on the sandbed to complete the picture.

I decided on the Red Sea Reefer 350 (75 gallons display) after reading disappointing reviews on plumbing CADLights and SCA. I never had a sump before and was anxious about screwing something up. The Red Sea Reefer is expensive but worth every penny. The build quality and professional touches are much better than what I have seen from IM / CADLights. The plumbing is super simple with a nice manual. Just 3 already assembled pipes that you plug into the overflow box and that's it. Of course I still managed to mess it up by breaking one of the o-rings and had to wait a week for Red Sea to send me a new one. Overall, this is a noob friendly tank.

For lighting, I decided on the new Kessil AP700. It claims to cover 48" with one fixture, and everyone raves about Kessil shimmer. I can't say much more about it since they have not released the tank mount yet, and the light is sitting in the box on the floor. There are days where I regret not going with two Nanobox Duos...sigh.

I hope people will join me on another journey and help answer my stupid questions and laugh at silly mistakes. For example, I already flooded my basement carpet with 20+ gallons of RODI waste water when the tube fell out of the tub...sigh.

Fish:
2 x Snowflake Clown
1 x Firefish
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Blue Tang
1 x Midas Blenny
1 x Banggai Cardinal
1 x Neon Dottyback
1 x Yellow Wrasse

• Like 33
  • Wow 1

Pic when the tank first arrived.

22923052281_dd475728e9_c.jpg

The delivery guy was nice enough to put it as close to the front steps as possible. 600lbs. We opened it up and carried the stand, tank, sump separately into the house.

Hopefully I can get pics of the scape up tomorrow once the tank is filled. Making 75 gallons RODI water TWICE is not fun...had to drain it the first time after the o-ring leaked and I panic.

• Like 9

Awesome! I am in ! They are great tanks- I saw one a year or so ago at a show and it was top notch- only disappointment I had was the freshwater reservoir is to small for the tank-imo- I would like something to last at least a week. Everything else seemed excellent and love the dimensions of the tank. Sounds like a nice stocking plan- SPS ?. I haven't seen those kessil lights in person yet but from what I've read the are very nice- I am sure you will be happy. Stoked to follow along

• Like 1

That tank is sexy as hell. Nice choice on tanks. I'm I'm interested in seeing that light up and over that tank. They should have had the tank mounts ready.

• Like 1

That tank is sexy as hell. Nice choice on tanks. I'm I'm interested in seeing that light up and over that tank. They should have had the tank mounts ready.

man i would hang that thing ive NEVER been a tank mount person. hanging looks so much more elegant to me

• Like 2

Awesome! I am in ! They are great tanks- I saw one a year or so ago at a show and it was top notch- only disappointment I had was the freshwater reservoir is to small for the tank-imo- I would like something to last at least a week. Everything else seemed excellent and love the dimensions of the tank. Sounds like a nice stocking plan- SPS . I haven't seen those kessil lights in person yet but from what I've read the are very nice- I am sure you will be happy. Stoked to follow along

I will be asking you lots of SPS questions soon =P. The ATO reservoir is a little small, they say 3 days worth. But at least it has one built in for you =).

Looks good so far....so have you actually trasfered everything or just moved the other 2 tanks over to the new crib...which i love the new house btw

Both tanks still up in the kitchen. The 12g will stay forever. The 5g I am not so sure..

100% understand.

​the ap700 is a beast of a light but still for me nanobox>all :P

Yea, I should have done the two new duos and call it a day instead of waiting forever for Kessil. Wife said no to drilling holes in the ceiling. She's paranoid about drilling holes in the new house after we had to pay someone to patch all the holes I drilled in the condo before we moved out. We were in a hurry to get it ready for renters and didn't want to do it ourselves. And of course the unit is still sitting there unrented....sigh

• Like 2

Sump question for everyone. The middle chamber in the sump is huge and the Magnus Curve 5 barely takes up half the space. If I want a refugium for pods and chaeto, can I put the chaeto in a breeder box next to the skimmer??

318Q8SbJTxL.jpg

• Like 2

Sump question for everyone. The middle chamber in the sump is huge and the Magnus Curve 5 barely takes up half the space. If I want a refugium for pods and chaeto, can I put the chaeto in a breeder box next to the skimmer??

318Q8SbJTxL.jpg

I've grown chaeto in the small section of an inTank media holder thing and it did great. As long as it's getting light that box should work just fine :).

New tank looks AWESOME :happydance:.

• Like 1

318Q8SbJTxL.jpg

I was going to do the same thing. Zero reason it won't work. Just needs some flow and light
  • Like 1

Beautiful, Ninja!!! I can't wait to see more! Hurry up ;)

Seeing how fast you put together your new tank inspired me to do the same! Still making water...30 gallons to go. Forgot about the sump...haha.

I was going to do the same thing. Zero reason it won't work. Just needs some flow and light

I was worried about chaeto being in the same chamber and clogging the skimmer. I will probably put mesh netting around the breeder box too.

• Like 1