inTank Media Baskets

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Thanks everyone!  Still no change after a week and a half of dosing Dino X.  Still hair algae and dino on the sandbed.  Will keep on dosing it.  Also considering doing 3 days blackout but my SPS are already very stressed out so not sure if I want to put them under more stress...

And I may have introduced dino to my nano tank....sigh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 days light out and dino already back after 1 day of reduced lighting.  Sigh.  It's better than before but I am sure in a few days, it will be back to what it was.  A couple of acros STN'd.  Bubble tip anemone detached itself and is moving around the tank.  

• Sad 5

Have you checked your water?  The last time I had dino and red slime outbreak, I kept treating with Chemiclean (over and over).  It would get better, but revert back in a few days.  I finally checked my RO/DI and was getting ~2 TDS (not bad, but not zero either).  So I chucked the BRS DI resin and used the Spectrapure Silicabuster DI.  With about two 5 gal water changes (for a IM30L), all the dino and red slime receeded and gone by the third water change.  This is with no other changes to the tank.  Silica may be a source of your pain.

-Jeff

• Like 1
mitten_reef

So so sorry to hear about the struggle. 

:unsure:  Successive (daily for a few days?) 50% waterchange with manual removal/siphoning out floaters each time?  And I wouldn’t add any more chemical treatment in between. 

Also do vinegar bath on all equipment?

Sand removal/replacement? What about those ceramic balls I saw in the sump on previous page?  Anything else that might be a source for a chemical imbalance, or excess nutrients? Are the gha and dino also present in the sump?

My thinking is just taking the whole thing back down to basic life support (heater and flows, maybe skimmer) then do heavy water changes and manual removal. The least variables, the better. 

I know that dino is hard (impossible?) to get rid off, but just trying to think out loud of ways to “sterilize” the tank of both gha and dino without fully tearing down the whole thing.  

I never battled either of those, knock on wood, but at least that’s what I’d try. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

RTN, GHA everywhere, dino everywhere.  I am sooo done with this tank.

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

Uggh. Dude. Sorry to see this. I have no advice or words of wisdom, just sorry to see this.

When I first got into SW and saw that you had a fluval EVO 13.5 like I did, it gave me inspiration. I even snaked your rock scape! 

Whatever you decide, good luck and always remember....  why? Because F***’em, thats why!

• Like 1
On 4/12/2018 at 7:05 PM, jcreefer said:

Have you checked your water?  The last time I had dino and red slime outbreak, I kept treating with Chemiclean (over and over).  It would get better, but revert back in a few days.  I finally checked my RO/DI and was getting ~2 TDS (not bad, but not zero either).  So I chucked the BRS DI resin and used the Spectrapure Silicabuster DI.  With about two 5 gal water changes (for a IM30L), all the dino and red slime receeded and gone by the third water change.  This is with no other changes to the tank.  Silica may be a source of your pain.

-Jeff

My RODI is between 0-5 TDS with relatively new filters.  Not sure if it's my TDS meter that's reporting higher.  Does purigen help with silica?  Maybe I can add some purigen...

23 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

So so sorry to hear about the struggle. 

:unsure:  Successive (daily for a few days?) 50% waterchange with manual removal/siphoning out floaters each time?  And I wouldn’t add any more chemical treatment in between. 

Also do vinegar bath on all equipment?

Sand removal/replacement? What about those ceramic balls I saw in the sump on previous page?  Anything else that might be a source for a chemical imbalance, or excess nutrients? Are the gha and dino also present in the sump?

My thinking is just taking the whole thing back down to basic life support (heater and flows, maybe skimmer) then do heavy water changes and manual removal. The least variables, the better. 

I know that dino is hard (impossible?) to get rid off, but just trying to think out loud of ways to “sterilize” the tank of both gha and dino without fully tearing down the whole thing.  

I never battled either of those, knock on wood, but at least that’s what I’d try. 

No more DinoX.  I am throwing the bottle away.  It only caused my SPS to STN.  I did a 10% water change today (only have enough buckets to do 10% at a time) and manually pulled out as much hair algae as I can.  All the corals are PISSED off even 3 hours after the water change.  I stirred up a lot of crap and turned on the Gyre at 100% and used a net to filter out as much dino / algae as possible.  I have tried everything now.  Tried letting the tank get dirty as others suggested.  Tried frequent water change and running very clean.  Added UV filter.  Dino is a PITA.

23 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

That sucks. It must feel awful. Have you decided on doing a hard restart, or still in grieving :( 

Hard restart will be shutting tank down =(.  I have nowhere to put the surviving corals and I don't want to sell dino infested corals.

21 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Uggh. Dude. Sorry to see this. I have no advice or words of wisdom, just sorry to see this.

When I first got into SW and saw that you had a fluval EVO 13.5 like I did, it gave me inspiration. I even snaked your rock scape! 

Whatever you decide, good luck and always remember....  why? Because F***’em, thats why!

Thanks!  My 13.5 is still going strong although I see some dino showing up there after moving a few frags over =(.

19 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear about the dino outbreak. Don't give up, you'll definitely beat it.

Thanks!  Been battling this for 4+ months now.  Sigh.

• Sad 2

More of my acros RTN overnight.  Should have known better than to do a water change on Friday the 13th.  Silver lining is that if everything dies, it will force a tank breakdown instead of being in this limbo state.

• Sad 4
3 hours ago, ReefWeeds said:

Oh No! Ninja! I just caught up. I’m so so so sorry about the tank troubles :( 

Maybe I just need a new 150 gallon tank... =P

4 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Best of luck! fingerscrossed I believe in you!

thanks!  i may just convert this to LPS + softies tank.  Throwing away acros is no fun.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

thanks!  i may just convert this to LPS + softies tank.  Throwing away acros is no fun.

Yes!!!!!!!! You so do!!

• Like 1
mitten_reef
18 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

For a new tank option, you should try to work in the Reefer Peninsula into your living room ?. I love the peninsula scape in your evo13.5. 

I foresee a hard restart in the near future ??

• Like 1

Please try peroxide to battle dino if nothing else works as last hope?. Spray onto rocks and let it work in for a minute and rinse right? Saw some well known user (Brandon?) here suggesting something like this in another thread. Maybe this was suggested earlier.

But man just stumbled upon this thread and heartbreaking to see al your hard work gone because of dumb dino. It is easy to say for me start over but most of the time you are locked into the way of reefing you know and equipment you already have making the hard decission more difficult: continue the battle or start over. And if you start “fresh”, what to do different. I hope for the best and see you tank recover from this and thrive. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

For a new tank option, you should try to work in the Reefer Peninsula into your living room ?. I love the peninsula scape in your evo13.5. 

I foresee a hard restart in the near future ??

Don't have the right layout for the peninsula =(.  Would love to get it if I can fit one in my kitchen or living room.

23 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Please try peroxide to battle dino if nothing else works as last hope?. Spray onto rocks and let it work in for a minute and rinse right? Saw some well known user (Brandon?) here suggesting something like this in another thread. Maybe this was suggested earlier.

But man just stumbled upon this thread and heartbreaking to see al your hard work gone because of dumb dino. It is easy to say for me start over but most of the time you are locked into the way of reefing you know and equipment you already have making the hard decission more difficult: continue the battle or start over. And if you start “fresh”, what to do different. I hope for the best and see you tank recover from this and thrive. 

I can't take the left rocks out of the tank.  Everything is glued down.  I took out the plate rock and brushed it with H202.  But a few days later and it's covered in dino and GHA again....

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Or add a lot of pods, eating dino? 

tried that already.  spent $50 on pods.  didn't make a dent.

• Wow 1

I’ve had two outbreaks of Dino’s in my tank so far over it’s one year lifespan. The first was very bad and led to the death of most of my zoas. The second was a more of a mix of Dino’s and GHA and was not quite as damaging, but took longer to fade.

IME the only things that helped were increased water changes for manual removal and stirring up the sand bed combined with multiple periods of no lights... and of course patience. I would have the lights off for three days and as soon as I turned them back on the Dino’s would start to return quickly. So I would stir up the sand bed with another 20% water change and beat them back down with another period of no lights before they could build back up. I would leave the lights off until I could no longer see dinos on my sand bed and repeat if they came back after I turned the lights back on for a day.

That is what worked in my tank and now things are way better. I would like to add that this is the first time I have ever had Dino’s in any of my 5 reef tanks and is also the first time I have started a tank with dry pukani rock. I think the rocks may have been slowly leaching things into the water despite being cured for over a month before being added to the tank.

I hope you eventually figure out what works for your system.

• Like 1

More dead acros...so I tried to cut off the dead acros and ended up bumping against the big birdsnest and it fell off.  When I try to put it back, I ended up knocking off the green monti too.  Both huge colonies.  So now I wonder if I should just get rid of them and use the space for LPS... but who will take corals from a tank with Dino??  I dont want to throw them away..

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

• Sad 5