ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Ok, I'm following on Instagram now, and looking forward to vicariously enjoying your mid life crisis. 

I lived on Pacific Grove for a year when I was in third grade, a block away from the ocean and the tide pools and the sea otters. That's where my love for reefing began. They didn't have the aquarium then but I went there about ten years ago and it was fantastic. 

Have fun! 

• Like 3

Went to Big Sur today and super foggy most of the time.  The fog lifted for 30 mins and we just happened to be chilling at McWay Falls so got a few nice pics =).

McWay Falls

37972792082_6a7ca44259_z.jpg

37972793492_92bcd95759_z.jpg

37949837416_b791283405_z.jpg

Bixby Creek Bridge with Fog

37949843026_6fe23d50de_z.jpg

37949833646_1c556a5541_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
On 10/26/2017 at 11:16 PM, ninjamyst said:

What are you planning to get???  I dont think I will be going this year since I have too much corals already.  The only thing I want is fish and they do have really cheap fish but risky health...

I don't know that I will buy anything. Husband might have to work, so I don't know if I want to go alone. Plus I'm changing the direction of my main tank. Unless there's a killer gorg for cheap, I'd just go for the freebies. 

• Like 1

Came home today and realized I turned my skimmer off when I went on vacation last last Saturday.  Oooops.  Red slime everywhere but never seen my zoas and ricordeas as fluffy as now.  They must be loving the dirty water.  My sps not so much.  Some browned out.  Mixed reef sucks =P.  

On 10/29/2017 at 10:14 AM, kimberbee said:

I don't know that I will buy anything. Husband might have to work, so I don't know if I want to go alone. Plus I'm changing the direction of my main tank. Unless there's a killer gorg for cheap, I'd just go for the freebies. 

I have a nice chunky gorg for you.  If I go, I will bring it with.  I got it from a local shop and have no place for it.  It's very fluffy, but hard to mount so it's just laying on the sandbed in my nano behind a rock.  

On 10/29/2017 at 11:33 AM, xiaoxiy said:

UIC, Rush, Northwestern, and Uchicago.

nice!  hope you get into one here.  what are you gonna do with your tank?  move it to wherever you end up?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ReefWeeds said:

I just caught up with your mid-life crisis! You are always welcome out here in New England!!! Love the photos 

Haha, not at this time of the year =P.  I have a friend that moved to Maine over the summer, and she LOVES it out there.  But we will see what she says in a month or two when New England winter hits.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Haha, not at this time of the year =P.  I have a friend that moved to Maine over the summer, and she LOVES it out there.  But we will see what she says in a month or two when New England winter hits.

Lol winter is just getting started up there! My in-laws said it's been exceptionally mild this fall.

• Like 2

Got tired of frag racks in my display tank so changed out the IM Magnafuge light to....NanoBox Tide!  If you gonna do it right, you gotta go NanoBox.  And yes, my skimmer is going crazy because I dosed chemiclean a few days ago to clear out cyano before I leave for Thailand for a month.  

37460953694_aa2df9e8b1_z.jpg

38171342121_d787661157_z.jpg

• Like 10

Too much corals.  Selling this giant frogspawn colony, 12+ heads.  $75.  Local pick up only.

38241976376_195942e0fd_z.jpg

Love my ricordeas.  They have overtaken the zoas on the rock.

24426724458_977f7c6333_z.jpg

The zoas in the middle of the tank are doing REALLY well.  King Midas started as 5-8 polyps from CultivatedReef and is now over 50+.  I already have another 25+ polyps in the frag "sump" growing, but the color isn't as nice.  Hoping the new Nanobox Tide will bring out the color like the mother colony.

38297535371_3a20ef9357_z.jpg

Count down to solo trip to Thailand started.  Leaving in 5 days!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Too much corals.  Selling this giant frogspawn colony, 12+ heads.  $75.  Local pick up only.

38241976376_195942e0fd_z.jpg

Love my ricordeas.  They have overtaken the zoas on the rock.

24426724458_977f7c6333_z.jpg

The zoas in the middle of the tank are doing REALLY well.  King Midas started as 5-8 polyps from CultivatedReef and is now over 50+.  I already have another 25+ polyps in the frag "sump" growing, but the color isn't as nice.  Hoping the new Nanobox Tide will bring out the color like the mother colony.

38297535371_3a20ef9357_z.jpg

Count down to solo trip to Thailand started.  Leaving in 5 days!

Nice colors on everything. Have fun in Thailand :happydance:

On 11/4/2017 at 5:20 PM, ninjamyst said:

Got tired of frag racks in my display tank so changed out the IM Magnafuge light to....NanoBox Tide!  If you gonna do it right, you gotta go NanoBox.  And yes, my skimmer is going crazy because I dosed chemiclean a few days ago to clear out cyano before I leave for Thailand for a month.  

37460953694_aa2df9e8b1_z.jpg

38171342121_d787661157_z.jpg

Hopefully, one day my tank will grow up to be this nice :D

• Like 1

New video by BRS made me realize I can increase the light intensity up on the AP700.  At 16.5 inch mounting height over a 48" tank at 100%, the par is only 220 6 inches below water.  I run 80% peak right now at 15 inches mounting.  I will keep at 80% but run it for 90 mins peak instead of 30 mins peak.  Don't want to make toooo many changes before I leave.  I have been afraid of frying my corals with this light, but now I am feeling better about really turning it up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Came home today to dead clam, missing firefish, melting chaeto, sandbed and sump blanketed by mixture of cyano and hair algae and maybe dino?  Brown sps and just unhappy tank.  Sigh.  Time to clean things up tomorrow.  But awesome trip!!!

• Sad 2

After you give it a good cleaning and it settles back in I’m sure it will bounce back. That vacation was amazing looking!  Welcome back to cold in the north hahaha

• Like 1