ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

21 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

So I have an old nanobox tide sitting in the closet.  Thinking about putting it over the sump and growing frags down there so I dont have frag racks in the display.  Do people do this kind of setup a lot?  I probably need to add a pump for more flow?  Anything I should be concerned about before doing this?

That's the setup I have. I run it on a reverse light cycle just for shits and giggles. I have a koralia in the sump for more flow.

The nice thing about having an in sump frag tank is, you don't have to dose and test 2 different tanks. 

• Like 2
tanacharison
22 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

So I have an old nanobox tide sitting in the closet.  Thinking about putting it over the sump and growing frags down there so I dont have frag racks in the display.  Do people do this kind of setup a lot?  I probably need to add a pump for more flow?  Anything I should be concerned about before doing this?

I want to do this when I upgrade my sump next.  All I was going to do for additional flow is move the outflow from my reactors into the frag area.   I might just have any dosing tubes go in system after the frags.

• Like 1
tanacharison
12 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

My only concern is space.  I will have to reduce my chaeto area.  What about Coraline algae growing in the sump?  I already have some from the fuge light causing Coraline algae on skimmer body...

Ohh it gets a little crazy, it's everywhere in my sump and on my skimmer using the Nanobox Beam.  Requires a monthly skimmer breakdown.

Nanobox Beam over sump.

• Wow 1
10 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Ohh it gets a little crazy, it's everywhere in my sump and on my skimmer using the Nanobox Beam.  Requires a monthly skimmer breakdown.

Nanobox Beam over sump.

Wow!  I already have enough frustrations with coralline algae in my display...I guess we can get an urchin for our sump

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Believe it or not Ninja, I read through the whole thread :lol: It's always so interesting seeing the ups and downs with tanks and how people overcome whatever issues pop up. Also, thanks to you, I'm going to buy a Reefer for my new house.. looking at the 625 XXL though :blush:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

Believe it or not Ninja, I read through the whole thread :lol: It's always so interesting seeing the ups and downs with tanks and how people overcome whatever issues pop up. Also, thanks to you, I'm going to buy a Reefer for my new house.. looking at the 625 XXL though :blush:

Thanks for reading through the thread!  Go big or go home!  I wish I got bigger too.  The peninsula is REAL nice if you have a nice spot for it.  Perfect room divider.  Can't wait to see you set it up.  

Been busy the last couple of days...trying to raise clownfish!

My aunt has a pair of clownfish that started to laid eggs.  The first time was last month and my dad was able to get 40 of the eggs to hatch.  Unfortunately, they all died a few days later.  Last Thursday, he called me and told me the clownfish laid eggs again, and told me to set up a tank and try to hatch them.  So I got my fluval spec V out of the closet and made some water.  My dad delivered a small flowerpot with about 50 or so eggs inside.  Got some live rotifers yesterday from a local breeder.  Got some live phyto this morning from a local reefer.  Wake up this morning to ONE small clownfish fry.  I am not sure if that means the other eggs will hatch later or they are all goners =(.  This is very exciting =).  

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Been busy the last couple of days...trying to raise clownfish!

My aunt has a pair of clownfish that started to laid eggs.  The first time was last month and my dad was able to get 40 of the eggs to hatch.  Unfortunately, they all died a few days later.  Last Thursday, he called me and told me the clownfish laid eggs again, and told me to set up a tank and try to hatch them.  So I got my fluval spec V out of the closet and made some water.  My dad delivered a small flowerpot with about 50 or so eggs inside.  Got some live rotifers yesterday from a local breeder.  Got some live phyto this morning from a local reefer.  Wake up this morning to ONE small clownfish fry.  I am not sure if that means the other eggs will hatch later or they are all goners =(.  This is very exciting =).  

Awesome!!!! fingerscrossed

• Like 1

bad news =(.  Lil'Nemo died after 3 days and none of the other eggs hatched yet.  Not sure if they are dead too or will hatch later?  I am still cultivating live rotifers and hoping they will hatch this week.  

on unrelated note, I bought the flipper cleaner and it's SOOOOO awesome.  My tunze care magnet no longer cleans that well but this flipper even got coralline off the glass.  Best ever!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good luck on raising the fry when they decide to hatch :). In regards to growing frags in your sump, I've been doing this for years with soft corals like zoas, shrooms, rics etc. I've just been using my fuge grow light (a cheapo 70/30 split white/blue LED) and get good growth minus the best colours. I end up using the frags to mostly trade with other reefers or to get credit from the LFS towards dry goods etc. I've been thinking of picking up a Kessil A80 for a while now to replace this cheap light purely for frags but can't justify the cost for the use. When my new place is built I plan on setting up a small frag tank and will get a half decent light for it then.

• Like 1

been a crappy reef week.

• None of the clown fish eggs hatched.  Took everything down.  Blah.  RIP lil nemo
  • Potter wrasse been loosing color.  The other bigger leopard wrasse is turning male and beating the crap out of the potters.
  • SPS not doing well since switching to Aquaforest balling method...Miyagi tort lost a lot of color.  ALso seeing cyano again so must be some kind of chemical imbalance.
  • During water change tonight, accidentally spilled a gallon of saltwater UNDERNEATH the stand.  FML.  Tried soaking up as much as possible by sliding paper towels under...

ohhhhh well.  new day tomorrow.  reeeef on.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

Put a fan blowing on the underside of you stand. The air will help to dry it out. 

Sorry to read about your bad luck :(

Are you carbon dosing? What salt are you using?

I always would get cyano when carbon dosing. Would knock the NO3 : PO4 ratio out of wack. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

During water change tonight, accidentally spilled a gallon of saltwater UNDERNEATH the stand.  FML.  Tried soaking up as much as possible by sliding paper towels under...

If I attempt a water change when I'm in a bad mood I tend to spill more water, knock corals over, and just generally make a mess of everything. Sorry nemo and his siblings died... 

• Like 2

tested my water today.

Alk - 5

Ca - 400

yikes!  no wonder SPS not doing well.  will need to hook back up the Apex to ApexFusion tomorrow and increase the dosing.

23 hours ago, Travis said:

Put a fan blowing on the underside of you stand. The air will help to dry it out. 

Sorry to read about your bad luck :(

Are you carbon dosing? What salt are you using?

I always would get cyano when carbon dosing. Would knock the NO3 : PO4 ratio out of wack. 

Not carbon dosing but may start with Aquaforest bacteria dosing soon....

9 hours ago, kimberbee said:

If I attempt a water change when I'm in a bad mood I tend to spill more water, knock corals over, and just generally make a mess of everything. Sorry nemo and his siblings died... 

yea, the usually 45 mins water change turned into 3 hours ordeal...

Sorry to hear about the frustrations with the tank this week!  I guess that's just this hobby!  Such a love/hate relationship at times. :mellow:  Hang in there and I'm sure things will turn around!  I applaud you for going to all that effort to raise the clownfish fry.  I have several friends who breed and raise clowns and I know its not easy.  I definitely think you have to try and fail a few times before you get the hang of it.  Hopefully you can try again!

Your latest FTS's look stunning.  I love the variety of bright colors you have in there!  And you have such colorful, healthy looking fish.  Also, I love the decor in your room and the way you set up this tank with the sleek white stand and the industrial style light mount really make it look like an art installation!

• Like 1