Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics from another trip to Fritzergald Marine Reserve by San Francisco.  Great place to visit if you are ever in Bay Area.  Just make sure to time the low tide.  

Macroalgae Heaven

35167004185_677ced2097_z.jpg

Big Anemone

34780572100_ab89cce3e9_z.jpg

Baby nems (my sister's finger for size reference)

34322025814_0f8fcaf182_z.jpg

These have red tips

34322021784_2a30c84822_z.jpg

They are EVERYWHERE

34322017524_d98b69a2b0_z.jpg

Mussels

35127017276_72c3b57dcd_z.jpg

• Like 10
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Great looking fish, did it start eating yet?

Curious as well, I just got one in.  He's out and about cruising the rocks but I didn't see it eat anything during feeding and I feed pretty heavy.

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Great looking fish, did it start eating yet?

1 minute ago, Asureef said:

Curious as well, I just got one in.  He's out and about cruising the rocks but I didn't see it eat anything during feeding and I feed pretty heavy.

It was eating last night but I haven't seen it tonight.  It tends to hide alot in the sand...which is concerning to me.  

• Like 2

I thought the potters wrasse died since I haven't seen it for 3 days now.  I leave the house at 6:30am and get back at 6:30pm on weekdays so I only get a few hours to look at the tank.  But it's still alive!  Saw it this morning.  I guess it wakes up around 8am and sleeps early?  Need to research on ways to train it to sleep later...

• Like 5
14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I thought the potters wrasse died since I haven't seen it for 3 days now.  I leave the house at 6:30am and get back at 6:30pm on weekdays so I only get a few hours to look at the tank.  But it's still alive!  Saw it this morning.  I guess it wakes up around 8am and sleeps early?  Need to research on ways to train it to sleep later...

Can you change your lighting schedule?  

• Like 2

My understanding is that fish will slowly, naturally adjust to your lighting schedule. Glad to hear he's alive! Potter's wrasses are my favorite leopard wrasses. They have such spectacular coloration!

• Like 1

Yep give um more time you'll be good, mine is still a fat pig and only eats LRS and algae sheets. Thank you again for those frags, need to mount them now that they have been on the frag rack for a bit. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FlowerMama said:

Can you change your lighting schedule?  

2 hours ago, JLynn said:

My understanding is that fish will slowly, naturally adjust to your lighting schedule. Glad to hear he's alive! Potter's wrasses are my favorite leopard wrasses. They have such spectacular coloration!

He's been here for two weeks now.  I am mostly worried that he's not out when I come home to feed.  I fed extra yesterday during the day.  He didn't take to LRS but loves mysis.  I found that mysis is much more appealing to finicky than LRS.  Is it bad to only feed mysis???

1 hour ago, mpsti05 said:

Yep give um more time you'll be good, mine is still a fat pig and only eats LRS and algae sheets. Thank you again for those frags, need to mount them now that they have been on the frag rack for a bit. 

Almost picked up a blue star leopard wrasse from Aquapros yesterday.  They had it for over a week and it's eating.  But it is half the size of my two wrasse, and I am scared it will get picked on.  But sooo pretty.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

He's been here for two weeks now.  I am mostly worried that he's not out when I come home to feed.  I fed extra yesterday during the day.  He didn't take to LRS but loves mysis.  I found that mysis is much more appealing to finicky than LRS.  Is it bad to only feed mysis?

I know that with seahorses they feed mysis pretty much exclusively. Plenty of seahorse keepers will soak their mysis in selcon to add some extra nutritional value. I would just keep feeding mysis, probably soaked in selcon, and try other kinds of food as well. Nutramar ova, for example, might be another good choice. Also, Sally's Reef Plankton might work. It's kind of a similar size to mysis, though rounder in shape, and would probably float around in the current in the same way, so maybe if you tried going for a mixture of that and mysis you could get the wrasse on that as well? It would add some variety, which is always good.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Amazing!  Your tank continues to get better each day. 

19 hours ago, stellablue said:

So nice!!!!!!!!! The potters is beautiful 

Thanks!  I am tempted to get a blue star leopard now =P.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
On 6/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, ninjamyst said:

Took a video today.  Excuse the door reflection on the side.  Day time is the only time the potter wrasse is out =P.  Doesn't quite capture orange and electric blue.  Watch in HD =).

Has anyone ever mentioned "TOTM nomination" for this tank yet? @Christopher Marks

12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

hahaha tell it to split and bubble back up!

Is that why some BTAs get so "stringy", they got too big and should be splitting? Mine split fairly regularly, gone from one nem to three so far this year, but still not that bubbly. :huh:  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Has anyone ever mentioned "TOTM nomination" for this tank yet? @Christopher Marks

Is that why some BTAs get so "stringy", they got too big and should be splitting? Mine split fairly regularly, gone from one nem to three so far this year, but still not that bubbly. :huh:  

haha thanks for the compliment! 

I am hoping it will be more bubbly if it splits.  A local reefer told me I just need to feed it more to get it to split.  

• Like 2

So the potter's wrasse been out all the time now =).  It's buddy buddy with the leopard wrasse too.  In the beginning, there were a bit of chasing.  Now they ignore each other and sometimes even swim side by side.  And it continues to eat mysis aggressively.

32 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

You may not want that. You'll end up with 20 of them like me. Lol 

I will have to add 20 tanks then =P

• Like 4
On 5/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, ninjamyst said:

Forgot to mention I went to LFS cuz I two auctions for some crazy colored "gonipora".  When I picked them up, they told me these aren't normal goniporas that extend out.  They stay as pictured, retracted all the time.  And they encrust.  Weird but very pretty still.  

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

How are these guys doing for you?  I had a similar one awhile back and couldn't get it to do anything. 

It was probably my fault.. I moved them around too much and never really let them settle in. 

1 hour ago, uwdanno said:

How are these guys doing for you?  I had a similar one awhile back and couldn't get it to do anything. 

It was probably my fault.. I moved them around too much and never really let them settle in. 

I put them on my frag rack because the wrasses kept burying them.  I expect them to sit there and not do much but at least the colors are still good.  

• Like 1