ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

On 2/25/2017 at 11:25 AM, ninjamyst said:

Found more baby trochus snails in the sump.  SOOOOOOOOO cute.

Tried fragging those sunny Ds this morning.  Mission Impossible.  They are very much stuck to the frag disc.  They are trying to spread to the sand though so I put a few piece of rubles next to them.  Maybe they will jump ship and then I can just tear them off.  Will let you know =P.

That's pretty much what I do. I let the sunny d's grow themselves right off the rock and clip them off. 

Almost wish I hadn't gotten them. They outpace all my zoas by tenfold. 

• Like 1

Got a fox face today =).  Took me a long time to find one with a perfect circle spot and intense yellow across the body.  It's bigger than I would like but I couldn't pass it up.  The LFS had 4 fox face and I made them get the one out of a display tank with tons of live rocks =P.  The owner tried really hard to sell me the other ones...hahah

• Like 7
1 hour ago, mpsti05 said:

Nice! Where ya get um?

Aquapros.  They had some clams for pretty cheap if you want another one.  ALmost picked one up myself.

1 hour ago, xAyanex said:

Always be picky about what you want your you'll regret it later. Love midas'!!

The midas is quite a character.  Definitely add him to your list when you get your reefer =P.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

The midas is quite a character.  Definitely add him to your list when you get your reefer =P.

Lol will do. The only reason he wasn't on there to begin with is because I wanted a bicolor blenny and wasn't sure if they would pick on each other. (And I plan on keeping the one in my BC29)!

In other news, I don't know that I'll get a reefer. I want something bigger, like a max s 650, but then if I'm paying that much it's for the convenience of them getting all the stuff together on a pretty stand. I wish I could buy the pretty stand and custom build everything else. I want a tank large enough for at least 1 blue tang and possibly more than 1 yellow. And all the other fish I listed.

On 2/27/2017 at 10:03 AM, mpsti05 said:

Ohhhhh they are stocked up!!! 

On 2/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, kimberbee said:

My mom lives not to far away and I'll be seeing her Sunday. Guess I'll take a trip!! 

Nice seeing some more Chicagoans on here!! Love the new fox face Jacky!!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Some SPS growth pics after 6 months.

August

29090149481_6f0ae46ef9_z.jpg

Feb

32894812550_1098f7f064_z.jpg

August

29062363842_1ece75a5ec_z.jpg

Oct

30533345672_dfd8dc985d_z.jpg

Feb

33277972455_5997124bb9_z.jpg

That's some great progression shots! Do you dose anything other than the standard CA/ALK/MG? My acros grow exceedingly slow. 

Just now, pokerdobe said:

That's some great progression shots! Do you dose anything other than the standard CA/ALK/MG? My acros grow exceedingly slow. 

38 minutes ago, mpsti05 said:

Damn! Hope mine turns into that 

My acros really started to color up and grow once I did two things:

1. Feed fish with all pumps on.  I used to feed with pumps off so the fish eats all the frozen food before it can settle anywhere.  I got lazy and started feeding with all pumps on.  Food fly everywhere but fish loves it and corals are getting fed at the same time.  I feed Larry's and it has a good mix of particle size food.  I have open rock scape so food don't usually get stuck anywhere.  Even if they do, I have plenty of scavengers to clean up.
  2. Dose aminos and vitamins.  I started dosing Aquaforest Energy and Vitality every 2-3 days.  I also dose Acropower once a week but it usually creates an algae bloom on my glass so I don't do it as much.  Once I use up my big bottle of Acropower, I will switch to Aquaforest Aminos.  

Note I have a lot of filtration that allows me to overfeed.  I have tons of bio media (Seachem Matrix and Marinepure Biosphere) in my sump.  I trim chaeto every 3 weeks.  I change out carbon / phosguard (80/20 mix) in reactor every 2 weeks.  My skimmer is on 24/7.  

I am seeing some bubble algae and a lot of vermetid snails as a result of added nutrients.  But no GHA or bryopsis.  

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

My acros really started to color up and grow once I did two things:

1. Feed fish with all pumps on.  I used to feed with pumps off so the fish eats all the frozen food before it can settle anywhere.  I got lazy and started feeding with all pumps on.  Food fly everywhere but fish loves it and corals are getting fed at the same time.  I feed Larry's and it has a good mix of particle size food.  I have open rock scape so food don't usually get stuck anywhere.  Even if they do, I have plenty of scavengers to clean up.
  2. Dose aminos and vitamins.  I started dosing Aquaforest Energy and Vitality every 2-3 days.  I also dose Acropower once a week but it usually creates an algae bloom on my glass so I don't do it as much.  Once I use up my big bottle of Acropower, I will switch to Aquaforest Aminos.  

Note I have a lot of filtration that allows me to overfeed.  I have tons of bio media (Seachem Matrix and Marinepure Biosphere) in my sump.  I trim chaeto every 3 weeks.  I change out carbon / phosguard (80/20 mix) in reactor every 2 weeks.  My skimmer is on 24/7.  

I am seeing some bubble algae and a lot of vermetid snails as a result of added nutrients.  But no GHA or bryopsis.  

Interesting on the feeding the fish with all pumps on - I usually turn mine off out of necessity since I don't want my mandarin to have to chase his food down. I'll try leaving the pumps on for one of my feedings. 

I've tried acropower in the past it never really did anything for me. I do currently use AF PBS. I want to try the Energy and Vitality.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Interesting on the feeding the fish with all pumps on - I usually turn mine off out of necessity since I don't want my mandarin to have to chase his food down. I'll try leaving the pumps on for one of my feedings. 

I've tried acropower in the past it never really did anything for me. I do currently use AF PBS. I want to try the Energy and Vitality.

I am not a fan of acropower either but I have a huge bottle that I need to use up.  I really like AF Vitality just because it's bright yellow and I use it to see direction of flow in the tank...hahah.  AF Energy is meh...

11 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

More evidence that I straight up don't feed enough :P

hahah, much easier in big tanks with lots of filtration.  Nanos are so much harder to balance out nutrient export.  I am still struggling with my Fluval Evo 12 right now.

• Like 3
Just now, ninjamyst said:

hahah, much easier in big tanks with lots of filtration.  Nanos are so much harder to balance out nutrient export.  I am still struggling with my Fluval Evo 12 right now.

My nitrates frequently bottom out to the point where I need to dose it. And my corals are.. not happy.

I think I'm finally done killing bryopsis (I know I'm done killing valonia, so there's that), so it's time to see what this cadlights PLS-50 is made of, right? :P 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mariaface said:

My nitrates frequently bottom out to the point where I need to dose it. And my corals are.. not happy.

I think I'm finally done killing bryopsis (I know I'm done killing valonia, so there's that), so it's time to see what this cadlights PLS-50 is made of, right? :P 

that's the same issue i am having in my nano.  nitrate and phosphate are 0 but i have nasty algae on the rock.  my gorgonians are dying and i am at a lost right now...

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

that's the same issue i am having in my nano.  nitrate and phosphate are 0 but i have nasty algae on the rock.  my gorgonians are dying and i am at a lost right now...

try moving them to the big tank...where you feed heavy.

I now feel very confident that the golden gorg is non-photosynthetic, and need to be fed almost daily. I'm starting to see some progress (increased number of polyps, thickening of the branches) after target feeding goniopower and reef roids for a couple of weeks now. Google "mennella gorgonian", there's species/genus-specific thread on UltimateReef. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

try moving them to the big tank...where you feed heavy.

I now feel very confident that the golden gorg is non-photosynthetic, and need to be fed almost daily. I'm starting to see some progress (increased number of polyps, thickening of the branches) after target feeding goniopower and reef roids for a couple of weeks now. Google "mennella gorgonian", there's species/genus-specific thread on UltimateReef. 

I did move the golden gorg to this big tank but even the one already in it was suffering at some point.  It is doing a lot better now with my increased feeding.  Did yours stay bright yellow?  Mine lost a lot of color.  Pale yellow now.

Do you still have your little red Fromia star? I'm kind of an Echinoderm fan. How big is he from start to now? What do you think he has been eating? (I got 20 more questions too ?)

On 3/7/2017 at 1:46 PM, tanacharison said:

Find your killer yet?

added two emerald crabs and havent seen them since...was hoping they will kill the killer....

57 minutes ago, Moolelo said:

Do you still have your little red Fromia star? I'm kind of an Echinoderm fan. How big is he from start to now? What do you think he has been eating? (I got 20 more questions too ?)

unfortunately, it suddenly disappeared a month or so ago =(.  i am on the lookout for another one that's similar.  mine was on the small size, maybe 3 inches across.  Next time I get one, I will try to target feed it.