Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Reefbreeders RPM came in.  Initial review:

• WHISPER QUIET - sooooooooo quiet
  • Very wide, very gentle flow
  • Weaker than I expected.  Definitely need two of them.  Running both at highest setting and wish there is more.
  • Bigger than I expected

Currently I have them mounted to the backwall, but since I can't angle them, I don't think my SPS that's in front of the middle overflow is getting enough flow.  May have to change them to be mounted at the two ends of the tank.  

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

stressed over what to do with this tank when i move this year...

Moving? Anywhere in particular? Still in Chicago area? I got a conf coming in August downtown, that I’m signing up to go to. 

4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Moving? Anywhere in particular? Still in Chicago area? I got a conf coming in August downtown, that I’m signing up to go to. 

Orlando! Planning to move in the fall.  I made a vow to myself this will be my last winter in Chicago.  

• Haha 1

Hi Ninja,

I got the Nero 5 last year and digging the flow. I was actually eyeing the new New RedSea Reefwave. Did you like the gyre flow pattern and don’t see much of a difference compared to the Reefbreeders?

On 2/8/2020 at 4:44 AM, picoreef78 said:

Hi Ninja,

I got the Nero 5 last year and digging the flow. I was actually eyeing the new New RedSea Reefwave. Did you like the gyre flow pattern and don’t see much of a difference compared to the Reefbreeders?

I never tried the Red Sea Reefwave, only had the Maxspect Gyre XF-130.  I love the reefbreeders although one is noisier than the other.  

• Like 1
On 2/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, ninjamyst said:

Orlando! Planning to move in the fall.  I made a vow to myself this will be my last winter in Chicago.  

If you move that far, sell it and get a new tank once you’re settled in. Can’t imagine that any moving company would guarantee a safe arrival of the tank. 

6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

If you move that far, sell it and get a new tank once you’re settled in. Can’t imagine that any moving company would guarantee a safe arrival of the tank. 

I dont want to part with my corals =(.  Just come in August and take all of it.  Hahahah.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

That December FTS looks EPIC !!! You use Nikon cameras right ?

Yup but not a DSLR.  Just a simple Nikon J5.

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Ummm, I just might take you up on that.  😂

You will need a bigger tank to fit all my stuff.  Hahah.  

• Like 1

Really ?! That is insane. Mirrorless is still awesome though. I just picked up a brand new in box D3200 and 50mm manual lens for $85 today. 

I'm a Canon guy,I love my T3i but for the money I couldn't let it slide outta my grasps. 

• 3 months later...

did some testing today:

alk: 4.2

ca: 220

LOL.  Tested 3 times.  Test kits not expired, Ca kit is brand new.  I am surprised things are still alive...

This is what happens when you stop doing water changes and you don't recalibrate dosing...sigh.  I am the WORST.  

Got a new fox flame acro today though....hence the testing =P.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
mitten_reef
Just now, ninjamyst said:

did some testing today:

alk: 4.2

ca: 220

LOL.  Tested 3 times.  Test kits not expired, Ca kit is brand new.  I am surprised things are still alive...

This is what happens when you stop doing water changes and you don't recalibrate dosing...sigh.  I am the WORST.  

Got a new fox flame acro today though....hence the testing =P.

ya gonna drop the FF into the evo for now right, where I assume your water is more stable?  I don't think it'd be able to handle the alk drop to 4.2 coming from a, presumably, healthy stable reef tank. 

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

ya gonna drop the FF into the evo for now right, where I assume your water is more stable?  I don't think it'd be able to handle the alk drop to 4.2 coming from a, presumably, healthy stable reef tank. 

hmm....the other acros in my tank seem to be fine?  Colors are not great but they are alive.....hahah.  I am gonna raise alk to 5 tonight and then 6 tomorrow night.  

mitten_reef
1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

the other acros in my tank seem to be fine?

they probably experienced the decrease in alk slowly over time, vs the new purchase which would be a sudden drop.  

I just know that very low alk can make for unhappy acros, maybe if you can raise it back up to 6-7 range like you're planning it might not hurt the frag?

Just realized that the evo is full of nems, so that's just as risky to park the frag there if not worse.  😅

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
41 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Got red bugs from the fox flame frag.  Another local reefer found red bugs from the same seller.  Sigh.  Now have to dose interceptor plus.  

This tank just can’t catch a break lately. Sorry bud.