ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Gyres are very unfun to clean!!! They still have dead spots too. You almost need one on each side alternating.

I do think its BS when someone says their TANG got stuck to a nero 5, it is a tang, come on? I mostly just worry for my pygmy filefish as I have seen them struggle when they get too close to my Jebao's and my green banded gobies because I have sucked them up more than once when just trying to do a water change and they get curious. 

Oh for sure. I would be nervous with gobies too. The Nero definitely has bigger gaps so I would be cautious too with fish like that. 

My lfs uses a single Nero on their 137g peninsula. The tank is thriving with multiple $2k and up colonies and $1500 wrasses haha

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You almost need one on each side alternating.

My personal experience is this ^.

One gyre moves a lot of water, but it becomes very one directional. One way over top and opposite undercurrent. 

I’m waiting for the 2K to be released and then probably wait some more until they get the holiday discount. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Oh for sure. I would be nervous with gobies too. The Nero definitely has bigger gaps so I would be cautious too with fish like that. 

My lfs uses a single Nero on their 137g peninsula. The tank is thriving with multiple $2k and up colonies and $1500 wrasses haha

Well hopefully they upgrade the magnet by the time I ever own a large tank 😉 then make it apex compatible and I'll be happy.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Matteo said:

a single nero for 137g peninsula.....hmmm.....now you have me looking at the nero.  But for $250....dang that's expensive.  

23 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

My personal experience is this ^.

One gyre moves a lot of water, but it becomes very one directional. One way over top and opposite undercurrent. 

I’m waiting for the 2K to be released and then probably wait some more until they get the holiday discount. 

I thought the gyre has different modes?  Like pulsing and lagoon and stuff.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

a single nero for 137g peninsula.....hmmm.....now you have me looking at the nero.  But for $250....dang that's expensive.  

I thought the gyre has different modes?  Like pulsing and lagoon and stuff.

I don't think $250 is expensive for basically a must have piece of equipment in your reef. 

Mp10s are the same price. 

$250 gets you a Bluetooth controllable, multi mode function pump that you can set different modes and frequencies at different times of the day for your perfect needs. It's also a smart pump and will not start if it notices resistance in the pump. If something gets stuck in the prop the pump cuts power immediately. 

Once again I really don't think $250 is a lot for a 3000gph wide flow, wirelessly controlled, small footprint WaveMaker. 

I have used mp10s, jaebos, Tunze, current USA, koralia, you name it. This is by far the best pump I've ever owned and would trust on bigger tanks too. 

Like I said the peninsula they have is huge with thick glass and they have had 0 magnet issues for over year. 

I don't really like to plug products too much but I think the Nero is unbelievably underrated for what it is. 

I don't think I'll get another pump. If they come out with a new Gen you bet your ass it's mine. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Matteo said:

I don't think $250 is expensive for basically a must have piece of equipment in your reef. 

$250 gets you a Bluetooth controllable, multi mode function pump that you can set different modes and frequencies at different times of the day for your perfect needs. It's also a smart pump and will not start if it notices resistance in the pump. If something gets stuck in the prop the pump cuts power immediately. 

Once again I really don't think $250 is a lot for a 3000gph wide flow, wirelessly controlled, small footprint WaveMaker. 

I have used mp10s, jaebos, Tunze, current USA, koralia, you name it. This is by far the best pump I've ever owned and would trust on bigger tanks too. 

Like I said the peninsula they have is huge with thick glass and they have had 0 magnet issues for over year. 

I don't really like to plug products too much but I think the Nero is unbelievably underrated for what it is. 

I don't think I'll get another pump. If they come out with a new Gen you bet your ass it's mine. 

It certainly would look nice on the side of my 80g 😉 Maybe I will have to get one if they have a sale and get a fish guard 😛 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

It certainly would look nice on the side of my 80g 😉 Maybe I will have to get one if they have a sale and get a fish guard 😛 

fish guard smish guard. A healthy fish wont go near a vacuum 😛 Marinedepot.com is having a 15% store wide sale on Friday. They currently have AI products discounted so I AM SURE the Nero will be too. 

But for real what fish is gonna swim up and get sucked up into the tiny little hole of the Nero in a fricken 80g :naughtydance:

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Matteo said:

fish guard smish guard. A healthy fish wont go near a vacuum 😛 Marinedepot.com is having a 15% store wide sale on Friday. They currently have AI products discounted so I AM SURE the Nero will be too. 

But for real what fish is gonna swim up and get sucked up into the tiny little hole of the Nero in a fricken 80g :naughtydance:

SAVE THE GREEN BANDED GOBIES!!! omgomgomg

I think they only get discounted if AI gives the okay since I think they are MAP priced. $213 would be nice 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

SAVE THE GREEN BANDED GOBIES!!! omgomgomg

I think they only get discounted if AI gives the okay since I think they are MAP priced. $213 would be nice 😎

sending the good discount vibes 

My $13 pump came in.  Returning it tomorrow =P.  It's HUGE and the suction cup sucks.  Blah.  If Nero falls to $213, I will get one too.  Gyre is too big and I remember now what a pain it was to clean it.  Every time I feel like I am going to break that thing and not be able to put it back together.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, Matteo said:

Can you make the Nero go into feed mode without using the phone app?  Like a button on the physical controller I can press....I hate taking out my phone just to put it into feed mode every day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Can you make the Nero go into feed mode without using the phone app?  Like a button on the physical controller I can press....I hate taking out my phone just to put it into feed mode every day.  

Feed Mode The Nero™ will spin very slowly for 10 minutes (default setting) and then resume it’s set mode. 1. Hold the button on the Driver for 2-5 seconds until the LED blinks white. The button LED will blink white while in feed mode.

https://www.championlighting.com/pics/pumppics/AI/ai_nero5_UserGuide.pdf

• Like 1

"Feed mode" is sort of BS anyway. The Ocean doesn't stop for fish or coral to feed... 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Matteo said:

"Feed mode" is sort of BS anyway. The Ocean doesn't stop for fish or coral to feed... 

it's more so the food doesn't fly everywhere and mostly into the sump....hahah

and Jebao makes their own version of the Nero for $55.  LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jebao-SLW-10-SLW-20-Sine-Wave-Flow-Wavemaker-Quiet-Reef-Wave-Pump/401962345137?hash=item5d96d2a2b1:m:mcrpbld11XLnRfGpfida83g

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I think feed mode is handy for the return pump, so food don’t just go right into the overflow. I do let my gyre keep blowing food around the tank. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

it's more so the food doesn't fly everywhere and mostly into the sump....hahah

and Jebao makes their own version of the Nero for $55.  LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jebao-SLW-10-SLW-20-Sine-Wave-Flow-Wavemaker-Quiet-Reef-Wave-Pump/401962345137?hash=item5d96d2a2b1:m:mcrpbld11XLnRfGpfida83g

Buy it and tell me how long and well it last... It's not even the same product.... Really

Also we not talking return pumps people stay focused 

• Haha 2

I sometimes leave the pumps on as the wrasse and typical commonly kept fish have no problem but I turn them off for the scooters, they chase the food but are just not as quick about it. I always had to turn my pumps off for the clingfish and certain blennies who were really 'picky' and had to watch the food for 15 seconds before deciding to eat it 🙄

It depends what kind of fish you keep since some had to adapt to totally different feeding habits in captivity. 

• Like 5

I think I am going to get two of these: 

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/rpm/

I have spent HOURS researching wavemakers.  The reefbreeder wavemaker is half the price of the Nero 5, can be controlled fully with a physical controller, and has 1.5 years USA warranty.  I actually don't care for mobile app.  

I also considered the IM WaveLink:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-midsize-wavelink-aio-powerhead-253-2300-gph-innovative-marine.html

My criteria are:

- less than $250 total (either two pumps or single amazing pump)

- physical controller

- easy to hide on backwall

- USA warranty

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I have spent HOURS researching wavemakers.  The reefbreeder wavemaker is half the price of the Nero 5, can be controlled fully with a physical controller, and has 1.5 years USA warranty.  I actually don't care for mobile app.  

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-midsize-wavelink-aio-powerhead-253-2300-gph-innovative-marine.html

My criteria are:

- physical controller

- USA warranty

Why not a gyre 

My criteria are:

- physical controller

- USA warranty

After you mentioned jebao, I immediately thought of the RPM as a middle ground alternative.  Glad you stumbled upon it, and would love to hear some feedback if you go with it. 

I have one wavelink and that is a good pump too, but it’s generic looking and might get bulky if you go to the top end power/strength. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

My criteria are:

- physical controller

- USA warranty

I have had reef breeders products before and he stands behind his warranty. I would love some feedback on these. Two for less than 1 nero would be nice if the flow is somewhat comparable. 

There is also this for $56 bucks but no warranty

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I have had reef breeders products before and he stands behind his warranty. I would love some feedback on these. Two for less than 1 nero would be nice if the flow is somewhat comparable. 

There is also this for $56 bucks but no warranty

Yea, warranty is key after having my Gyre and Jebao dying on me.  Jebao is such a hit or miss.  

13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

After you mentioned jebao, I immediately thought of the RPM as a middle ground alternative.  Glad you stumbled upon it, and would love to hear some feedback if you go with it. 

I have one wavelink and that is a good pump too, but it’s generic looking and might get bulky if you go to the top end power/strength. 

Just bought two of them =).  Will let you know how it goes.  

• Like 1