Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Came back from Banff.  LOVE IT.  Here's a video of our trip if anyone is thinking about going.  The color of the lakes are surreal.  

But.....the tank didn't do so well.  Lost one of the butterflies and yellow coris and 2 banggai cardinals =(.  And lots of hair algae at the moment...probably from the fish dying and also overfeeding by the housesitter.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
On 9/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, ninjamyst said:

Came back from Banff.  LOVE IT.  Here's a video of our trip if anyone is thinking about going.  The color of the lakes are surreal.  

But.....the tank didn't do so well.  Lost one of the butterflies and yellow coris and 2 banggai cardinals =(.  And lots of hair algae at the moment...probably from the fish dying and also overfeeding by the housesitter.  

the trip looks amazing!  sorry about the fishies.  

• Like 1
On 9/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Eek. What will you permanently replace it with? Another Gyre or something different

I am running a Jebao RW8 and a Jebao PP8 now.  Got a nice deal from a local reefer for the PP8.  Together, they give more flow than the Gyre.  I also like the random mode on them.  I never liked the constant mode on the Gyre.  I had the older version and it didn't have the newer random mode.  

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

lost my job 3 months ago.  last month, went back to the company I worked at for 12 years.  dont get home from work till 7pm now.  barely have time to feed fish.  no water changes.  #adultingishard

• green cyano covers the sand bed
  • lost all 3 butterflies...from lack of feeding most likely
  • SPS coloring up like crazy
  • Zoas are popping so fast, it's overwhelming

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

^ Not sure whether to like this for the corals doing good or put a sad face for your recent troubles. 

Adulting is bitter sweet, thats for sure. Do you dose trace elements by chance? 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

lost my job 3 months ago.  last month, went back to the company I worked at for 12 years.  dont get home from work till 7pm now.  barely have time to feed fish.  no water changes.  #adultingishard

• green cyano covers the sand bed
  • lost all 3 butterflies...from lack of feeding most likely
  • SPS coloring up like crazy
  • Zoas are popping so fast, it's overwhelming

Damn, sorry to hear that.

......at least the corals doing well.

I was just wondering how you're doing.  Haven't seen many posts lately.  You know what? long-day job is still better than no job.   

sorry about the fish and the cyano.  make sure to stay on top of that water change, don't let the excess nutrient get out of whack. 

Glad to hear corals are doing well tho, they love dirty water.  I can barely see thru my glass this week, but when I'm looking top-down, everything is sooo bright!  

• Like 1

Eek. I know that feeling. It has been a couple years since I had a tank and recently decided to go all in again. Sometimes you need a break. Or maybe a change in the system itself to keep you interested 😞 

• Like 1

Your tanks on here have inspired many people.  Your Evo was the reason I bought my first reef tank!  It’s ok to take a break sometimes from the things we love!  Change in the system or an upgrade to get you excited again is a great idea too!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I am the worst.  Loosing interest in reefing and my tanks are suffering.  Picture is not blurry because of camera....it's from all the algae....sigh

1572210182553-1079633230.thumb.jpg.3de957d7cf6f72b898e453760aae6cb8.jpg

Just some algae get a new herbivore fish to help that yellow tang out, you got room for it. 😁

through all that haze, the corals look pretty nice still.  

I think when the tank progress gets stagnant or goes backward, it gets kinda boring.  I felt that way basically for the last 18 months - one step forward, 2 steps back for me.  I’m hopeful that this Fall/winter will be the turning point for me. 

• Like 2

Man,I'm sorry to hear about all the problems. Sometimes life just does some stupid things,but you have to take the good with the bad and focus on life. That's what I did for about a year,and I'm slowly trying get back into things.. Its a struggle but you'll overcome. 

Just stay positive and never lose the vision. Gotta enjoy life no matter what bs is thrown at you. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

No FTS because green film algae / green cyano still covers everything.  Blow them off every night and next day is all back.  Blah.  But corals are loving the dirty water!

bonsai is spreading out of control.  i constantly try to kill off the base but it keeeeeeps encrusting.  and some vertical growth too.

yWYqiOFm3fXDTAqZv5dGIkhbvSg1DcFvU5PN1Sx1

Indo gold torch....6 heads now.  May have to trim it soon and make some $$$$

e7gyOxWnH6JVTElL8dL10we3Q3v5hSQi8_hTG2gT

My fav ricordea

NlddC90NYppnFaOE0_P9o2qLzcEPvcxBFcUiSJrV

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
18 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

No FTS because green film algae / green cyano still covers everything.  Blow them off every night and next day is all back.  Blah.  But corals are loving the dirty water!

bonsai is spreading out of control.  i constantly try to kill off the base but it keeeeeeps encrusting.  and some vertical growth too.

My fav ricordea

Glad to see the corals are doing well. 

On 10/30/2019 at 12:47 AM, YHSublime said:

Just clean your glass and get a shark, spice things up a bit.

Where’s the shark that you were supposed to get? 😂

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Glad to see the corals are doing well. 

Where’s the shark that you were supposed to get? 😂

Will need a new build for the shark =P.  I am surprised the corals are doing well, even those that been smothered by algae.  Once I blow / scrub the algae off, they all seem fine.  I do notice that my chaeto is not growing although algae is growing in the display.  There must be ways to get my chaeto to outcompete the display algae....that's the whole point of a fuge....

• Like 2
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Will need a new build for the shark =P.  I am surprised the corals are doing well, even those that been smothered by algae.  Once I blow / scrub the algae off, they all seem fine.  I do notice that my chaeto is not growing although algae is growing in the display.  There must be ways to get my chaeto to outcompete the display algae....that's the whole point of a fuge....

What light is over it?

And how large is it? It takes a surprising amount of actively growing chaeto to reduce nutrients by a measurable amount.

2 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

What light is over it?

And how large is it? It takes a surprising amount of actively growing chaeto to reduce nutrients by a measurable amount.

The light is IM chaetomax light.  Chaeto used to double in size every 2 weeks or so but now been pretty stagnant.  Chaeto is soft ball size now.

20 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

My fav ricordea

Beautiful pics as always. 

• Like 2
jedimasterben
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

The light is IM chaetomax light.  Chaeto used to double in size every 2 weeks or so but now been pretty stagnant.  Chaeto is soft ball size now.

Give it more light and see what happens. That light says it is ~6w total, which is good for smaller areas. If you have a home depot nearby, you can get a clip-on reflector and something like a 23 watt daylight CFL (or higher, look for equivalent wattage of 100+) for around $10 or so.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Give it more light and see what happens. That light says it is ~6w total, which is good for smaller areas. If you have a home depot nearby, you can get a clip-on reflector and something like a 23 watt daylight CFL (or higher, look for equivalent wattage of 100+) for around $10 or so.

Do you think there is any correlation between reduced wattage for spectrum-specificity since chaetomax is red&purple-only led?