Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

4 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Trying to decide on my last 2 - 3 fish since I still have $200 credit at the store.  A Midas blenny and a McCosker wrasse?  Or two banggi cardinals....

I vote the Blenny /Wrasse combo

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pgrVII said:

I vote the Blenny /Wrasse combo

1 hour ago, Newstead said:

Ditto - I love Midas blennies!

I had a Midas before and it was one of my fav!  Hard to find a healthy fat one at the store though...

1 hour ago, Cutter79 said:

Question for you going way back in your thread lol. Did you end up adding a small pump to your sump to help with the detritus? 

Yup I did and it helped a lot wit detritus.  I dont run one anymore since my sump is toooo clean right now.  

• Like 1

Just read the last few pages of your thread, and I need to do what you did to really kick dinos in the ass. Every time I have dinos under control by dosing NO3/PO4, my sump/filtration drops my nutrients to zero and dinos come back! I feed frozen every day too! Will turn off my skimmer, and take out my marine pure (overkill), and hope I get the same results as you.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Just read the last few pages of your thread, and I need to do what you did to really kick dinos in the ass. Every time I have dinos under control by dosing NO3/PO4, my sump/filtration drops my nutrients to zero and dinos come back! I feed frozen every day too! Will turn off my skimmer, and take out my marine pure (overkill), and hope I get the same results as you.

I started dosing phytoplankton every 2 days too to get my pods count up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 6:28 PM, ninjamyst said:

Trying to decide on my last 2 - 3 fish since I still have $200 credit at the store.  A Midas blenny and a McCosker wrasse?  Or two banggi cardinals....

Between the two options, I like the blenny/wrasse combo. 

Of course, 200 credit will also get you a nice pintail fairy wrasse. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Between the two options, I like the blenny/wrasse combo. 

Of course, 200 credit will also get you a nice pintail fairy wrasse. 

Got the midas last weekend.  $65.  Expensive for a midas but I have the credit  Spent another $20 on a yellow watchman that disappeared in the tank.  Then another $30 on pods and live brine to get the midas eating.  So have less than $100 left.  Credits sure go fast....

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Got the midas last weekend.  $65.  Expensive for a midas but I have the credit  Spent another $20 on a yellow watchman that disappeared in the tank.  Then another $30 on pods and live brine to get the midas eating.  So have less than $100 left.  Credits sure go fast....

Store credit is all just a trick to get us to spend more money. 😞 

• Haha 2

My magnafuge stopped working last night so spent a long time searching for a replacement.  Ended up getting the ChaetoMax despite the outrageous price of $70 for a small little fuge light.  But I needed one that can attach to the side of the sump and not over it.  This new IM fuge light better be worth the money!  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
30 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

My magnafuge stopped working last night so spent a long time searching for a replacement.  Ended up getting the ChaetoMax despite the outrageous price of $70 for a small little fuge light.  But I needed one that can attach to the side of the sump and not over it.  This new IM fuge light better be worth the money!  

Lemme know what you think. I'm adding a sump to my build and I wanna do a small fuge 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Aww that stinks, how long did you have the Magnafuge running? You should post a photo comparison once the new one arrives, the ChaetoMax is a big upgrade in refugium light, right?

Had the Magnafuge running for 2 year.  Chaeto grew decent with it but not amazing.  The Magnafuge is mostly just white light while the ChaetoMax is red and blue LEDs.  Supposely it should double / triple growth rate of the Magnafuge.  

On 2/18/2019 at 9:47 PM, Cutter79 said:

DO you have a recent pic of your sump area? I want to see how you have your fuge set up.

Here's a pic of my sump with the new ChaetoMax light.  It's oooooook.  Doesn't seem as bright as the Magnafuge but I understand the spectrum is completely different.  It is very slim but it gets hot after a few hots.  Also, the power supply wire is way too short.  

I have the fuge in the return pump chamber.  I have a filter pad and an arcylic sheet to prevent chaeto from getting to the return pump.

DSC_1980.thumb.jpg.8ec0d3b0c1d82e8284232cfa98cfad9b.jpg

23 hours ago, Cutter79 said:

where did you find the frag rock you put on your back glass? I cant seem to find any small ones like that.

https://www.aqua-mags.com/ 

I believe we have a sponsor now too that has something similar.  @NanoRox?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Here's a pic of my sump with the new ChaetoMax light.  It's oooooook.  Doesn't seem as bright as the Magnafuge but I understand the spectrum is completely different.  It is very slim but it gets hot after a few hots.  Also, the power supply wire is way too short.  

I have the fuge in the return pump chamber.  I have a filter pad and an arcylic sheet to prevent chaeto from getting to the return pump.

DSC_1980.thumb.jpg.8ec0d3b0c1d82e8284232cfa98cfad9b.jpg

https://www.aqua-mags.com/ 

I believe we have a sponsor now too that has something similar.  @NanoRox?

Thanks. Never seen a fuge in the return before, you must have a baffle separating it from the pump? Also it looks like your skimmer is a rocket haha cool stand 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Cutter79 said:

Thanks. Never seen a fuge in the return before, you must have a baffle separating it from the pump? Also it looks like your skimmer is a rocket haha cool stand 

Yup, you can see the acrylic sheet separating it from the pump.  That skimmer is a workhorse!

• 1 month later...

HI Ninja, how is that ChaetoMax light working for you? Would you recommend it? The LED off my Fluval Edge tank is working ok but the light is flooding my entire sump and I am getting brown algae build up on everything.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:37 AM, Cutter79 said:

HI Ninja, how is that ChaetoMax light working for you? Would you recommend it? The LED off my Fluval Edge tank is working ok but the light is flooding my entire sump and I am getting brown algae build up on everything.

It's overpriced but works well.  It's very slim and light output is just enough for where I put it.  It doesn't leak light into the main chamber of the sump so that's good.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...