Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Ric's are looking SO good!!!

I just did the same with flows.  I now have two Tunze 6040 (1000+ max gph), and IM mid-size powerhead (1500 max gph) in the display (all running roughly half the max tho), plus ~500 gph return.   Now that I have IM wavelink I might keep one Tunze in there but turn both of them up a bit.  Not really a big fan of 3 powerheads in my tiny tank.

That's a lot of flow.  I am running my gyre and rw8 at about 75%.  Any higher and my lps start to struggle.  I probably need to adjust where I am pointing the rw8.  Do you get lots of day time polyp extension?  

Just so I have it noted here in my journal, I started dosing 5ml of Aquavitro Fuel every day (assuming I remember to).  We will see if that helps with SPS color.  I like it because it has aminos and trace element in one vs separate bottles like Seachem Reef Plus and Seachem Trace.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

That's a lot of flow.  I am running my gyre and rw8 at about 75%.  Any higher and my lps start to struggle.  I probably need to adjust where I am pointing the rw8.  Do you get lots of day time polyp extension?  

depends on which acros for me...still trying to bring the tank back from the mess.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I was running the kessil ap700 16 inches from water line and only at 75% peak for 2 hours.  After seeing the locals tank and the amount of light he was running, my tank definitely needed more.  I don't see much growth or color in my acros right now.  They aren't brown but also not as bright as when I got them.  I believe more light will help.  I am pretty certain I was running higher intensity before my tank crashed last year.  I lowered it when I was battling algae and dino and just never bumped it back up since lps and softies were fine.

What are your phosphate at, out of curiosity? 

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Close to 0 phosphate and about 2ppm nitrate.  I have to regularly dose both to get them to read non 0....

Yeah, that tracks. Usually low to no phosphate tanks exhibit more pastel faded colors. It might be a combo of things. Just take changes slow, I’m interested in your results!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Yeah, that tracks. Usually low to no phosphate tanks exhibit more pastel faded colors. It might be a combo of things. Just take changes slow, I’m interested in your results!

haha yea, i am really going to start testing regularly and documenting my changes regularly!  

The butterfly police gonna kick down my door soon...I got a trio of pyramid butterflies.  Probably the most reef safe butterfly out there.  $40 each...came into the LFS as a trio and they like to school so got all 3.  Eating like champs already.  Also got a hawkfish last weekend and it looks perching on montis and frag racks.  Took a video to test out new GoPro Hero Black 7 =P.  I changed the light to mostly white since I wasn't sure how the GoPro white balance will do.  Next time I will leave it more blue since the GoPro seems to handle it really well.

• Like 6
  • Wow 8

My yellow tang started to school with the butterflies =P.  Hope they remain best friends because initially the butterflies were being a little aggressive towards the other fish.  I am glad though the clownfishes no longer dominates the tank.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

If anyone wants a piece of starburst montipora, you only have to pay shipping and I will send you one.  Shipping will be $10 USPS priority mail 2 days.  I want to test how they do via 2 days shipping.  So a $10 risk for you with hopefully good rewards.  Here's a close up pic of the mother colony.  The frag does have a similar green graft thingy, so bonus for you.  The frag is about 1.5 inch by 1 inch.  They do best under med to strong lighting in a mature tank.

image.thumb.png.8021c4f495654b26aadafa36a0172b61.png

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

If anyone wants a piece of starburst montipora, you only have to pay shipping and I will send you one.  Shipping will be $10 USPS priority mail 2 days.  I want to test how they do via 2 days shipping.  So a $10 risk for you with hopefully good rewards.  Here's a close up pic of the mother colony.  The frag does have a similar green graft thingy, so bonus for you.  The frag is about 1.5 inch by 1 inch.  They do best under med to strong lighting in a mature tank.

image.thumb.png.8021c4f495654b26aadafa36a0172b61.png

Tempting 🤔

12 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

lol...you sure you want montiporas again??

I’m always up for a unique monti. Well, I kept a chunk of my starburst that I thought may have some graft on it. But nothing really showed yet. 

Right now the acros growths are outpacing the two monti frags that remained in the tank anyway. 

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I’m always up for a unique monti. Well, I kept a chunk of my starburst that I thought may have some graft on it. But nothing really showed yet. 

Right now the acros growths are outpacing the two monti frags that remained in the tank anyway. 

haha i thought i remembered you had a starburst before too.  greeeedy.  you already have one!  my initial starburst didn't have the graft in it either....it just kinda showed up.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

haha i thought i remembered you had a starburst before too.  greeeedy.  you already have one!  my initial starburst didn't have the graft in it either....it just kinda showed up.

fine, I won’t be greedy.  I don’t have to have this one. 

Plus, I know you’ll probably have more when I feel like getting one later.  

• Haha 1

Any kind of shipping in this heat will require some serious insulation and an ice pack! 

I just shipped some acros for a 24 hour period in a lunch box cooler with an ice pack on the bottom, small cleaning towels as insulation, bagged acros in sealed bags, wrapped in newspaper then more cloth rags, then bubble wrap and newspaper for the rest of the top space. And an insulated shipping box. 2/3 were fine, one was a little weary, but will bounce back. 

Montis are fairly hearty, if there was a hard coral that I would gamble on, it'd be a monti! 

• Like 1