SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

8 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Awesome Jackie! Any new maintenance changes to the tank to turn it around?

Do less!  Stopped doing weekly water changes.  Removed phosguard and purigen.  Stopped skimmer for a bit.  Dosed nitrate to 2ppm.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, skyscraper2290 said:

How often are you doing WC’s?

Every 2 to 4 weeks.  Just 5%.  I still run a little bit of carbon but very very little.  I do have to scrape my glass now almost daily so I do have algae growing but it's the good algae.  

11 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Do less!  Stopped doing weekly water changes.  Removed phosguard and purigen.  Stopped skimmer for a bit.  Dosed nitrate to 2ppm.  

Yess! Less is sometimes better on a more mature reef tank!

• Like 1
jedimasterben
9 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Every 2 to 4 weeks.  Just 5%.  I still run a little bit of carbon but very very little.  I do have to scrape my glass now almost daily so I do have algae growing but it's the good algae.  

that reminds me, I haven't replaced my carbon in like 8 months. oops.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
skyscraper2290
10 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Wow that great, I assume your skimmer is running again and acting as your main waste remover?

Fabulous! The tank looks fantastic, and I think removing so much sand combined with the less aggressive nutrient control really has made a huge difference. 

I'd love a frag of that monti, maybe we can do a trade 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo I traded in $300 worth of corals to LFS and sold another $150 to local reefers.  Spent some of that money on a new yellow tang and neon dottyback.  Love seeing the sandbed again.  I am going to try really hard to keep corals off the sandbed going forward.  Going for the clean, minimalistic look.  SPS not doing so great though.  Color been dull.  Going to feed more and more fish will help.  I been eyeing this yellow tail tamarin wrasse at the store.  May pick it up this weekend if still available.

DSC_1970.thumb.jpg.0b8e855d6b3d44c74bd0040b2abf44e5.jpg

DSC_1973.thumb.jpg.f8357ded2dfff55a2caa1fa2d7bee770.jpg

• Like 12
  • Wow 4
14 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Soooo I traded in $300 worth of corals to LFS and sold another $150 to local reefers.  Spent some of that money on a new yellow tang and neon dottyback.  Love seeing the sandbed again.  I am going to try really hard to keep corals off the sandbed going forward.  Going for the clean, minimalistic look.  SPS not doing so great though.  Color been dull.  Going to feed more and more fish will help.  I been eyeing this yellow tail tamarin wrasse at the store.  May pick it up this weekend if still available.

tank looks great!!! Are the SPS the new ones you recently added?  maybe they just need a bit of time switching to a new tank/light and all that.  I'm so glad your ric's are looking as awesome as ever!  nice shot of the yellow tang too!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

tank looks great!!! Are the SPS the new ones you recently added?  maybe they just need a bit of time switching to a new tank/light and all that.  I'm so glad your ric's are looking as awesome as ever!  nice shot of the yellow tang too!

Both new ones and old ones =(.  I am sure it's low nutrient issues again.  My sump is just too damn efficient at processing nitrate and phosphate....hahah.  I hope this yellow tang does well.  Yellow tang price went up a lot the past two years.  Probably a good thing though so people think twice before getting one.  

43 minutes ago, JR! said:

tank looks great brother!

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I am sure it's low nutrient issues again.  My sump is just too damn efficient at processing nitrate and phosphate....hahah.

problem most other reefers would be happy to trade, hahaha.  do you dose any nutritional supplement, like acropower, fuel, reef energy AB?  I'm using Fuel about once a week, sometimes twice if I don't forget.  I think it definitely help on the growth side, not sure about colors though.  when was the last time you did a water change, my SPS perks up a day or two after water changes (possibly the trace elements re-introduction).     

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on having a yellow tang and a one spot foxface in the reefer 350? Those are the last 2 fish I want to add to my tank but read not to bother unless you have 100+ gal?

10 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Your tank and fish look amazing!  I love all the color.

• Like 1

Jacky, tank is looking great. Any time you have a true mixed reef like yours it can be extremely difficult to keep them happy. Unless that is all you do! 😛

Keep it up!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JR! said:

They are like 35 at the local Petco. They all look half dead though. Such a shame ☹️

really?  lucky you.  i wouldn't mind Petco fish if I do QT but I don't =P.  They are about $50 at LFS.  I remember 3 years ago, I got mine for $20.

10 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

problem most other reefers would be happy to trade, hahaha.  do you dose any nutritional supplement, like acropower, fuel, reef energy AB?  I'm using Fuel about once a week, sometimes twice if I don't forget.  I think it definitely help on the growth side, not sure about colors though.  when was the last time you did a water change, my SPS perks up a day or two after water changes (possibly the trace elements re-introduction).     

I did a 5 gallon water change 2 weeks ago =P.  I definitely been slacking on water change so it's possible it's a trace element issue.  I dose Aquaforest aminos and vitamins once a week.  Once that's all used up, I will use the Brightwell amino Dave sent me for secret santa.  This reminds me to do a 10% water change this weekend.  

9 hours ago, Cutter79 said:

What are your thoughts on having a yellow tang and a one spot foxface in the reefer 350? Those are the last 2 fish I want to add to my tank but read not to bother unless you have 100+ gal?

I had a yellow tang and foxface in mine before and they were getting along fine.  If I see a small foxface without a spot, I would get one again.  The 350 is 4 feet so length wise, it's about the same as 100 gallon tank.  It's just more narrow.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I had a yellow tang and foxface in mine before and they were getting along fine.  If I see a small foxface without a spot, I would get one again.  The 350 is 4 feet so length wise, it's about the same as 100 gallon tank.  It's just more narrow. 

Sweet. They have small foxfaces at my lfs right now. Most dont have spots but a couple look like the spot is coming in. I assume the spot comes with age? They are half price from the big ones at the other LFS. I think I am going to pick one up. 

3 hours ago, Cutter79 said:

Sweet. They have small foxfaces at my lfs right now. Most dont have spots but a couple look like the spot is coming in. I assume the spot comes with age? They are half price from the big ones at the other LFS. I think I am going to pick one up. 

I thought there are just two different kinds of foxface, one with spot and one without.  I like the one without since the spot can become a smudge or smear.

• Like 1