Cultivated Reef

Torch proximity to frogspawn

aaron186

6Pgo6z2.jpg

I was hoping to place a torch on this lower rock. There is a frogspawn on the rock above it. Will I have trouble eventually if I place the torch in this spot? Am I safer putting a hammer there? Thanks

ReefSafeSolutions

I have a torch next to my frogspawn and haven't had any issues, but they never touch. There always seems to be at least a couple cm between their tentacles. I think it largely depends on the flow...if the flow pushes your torch's tentacles right up next to the frogspawn, it could be a problem. I've read that torches will and will not attack other euphyllia, so if it's a point of concern, I'd say put the torch there and watch where the tentacles go in the flow. If they are pushed away from the frogspawn you'll probably be fine.

ReefSafeSolutions

If the torch is far enough away, it won't sting anything. It can only sting if it's within range of it's sweeper tentacles. So if you leave at least 6" of space between the torch and the frogspawn you'll be alright.

Ive read torches will sting hammers and frogs but frogs and hammers won't sting each other

My torch and frogspawn are touching constantly, rubbing against each other. No issues.

Both members of the euphylia family as masssnapz already said, so they should be able to touch. My hammer and frogspawn were super close to one another and nothing bad came from it. Torch corals have a more potent sting I hear, but I don't think you should have a problem.

Frogspawn and hammers can touch. Some torches can touch hammers and frogspawn. But I have had a torch latch on to a frogspawn it was not pretty. That is why I keep my torches separated from every thing but other torches.

• 4 years later...
On 11/8/2015 at 8:39 PM, aaron186 said:

Will a torch get big enough to stink that frogspawn? It's a good 10 inches

My torch is about 5in diameter at 3-4 heads with the sweeper tentacles (the dangerous bits) extending 3 inches past the main body of tentacles. I’ve only had it for 2 months and bought it as a 2-head small frag. I can entirely believe they’d reach 10 inches with the right flow after a bit of growth. 

I’ve got torch/frogspawn/hammer on a single piece of LR (pictures below) and the torch is the only one that’s a problem, mostly because it’s loving life so much and is constantly spread out no matter what flow I put on it, and the range of those sweepers. 

6FF67A06-5815-492D-9B76-66FCF9114970.jpeg

744E3433-8681-47C3-BC5A-E225D42A988F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1