Cultivated Reef

Advice needed on 4 gallon cube tank

Odobenus rosmarus

Odobenus rosmarus

Today I bought a 4 gallon cube tank and I need some advice on lighting, flow, and filtration. I had a very successful 10 gallon reef but this is less than half the size and I'm not sure how to approach it. Any help is appreciated!

Most common lighting for a small Pico is a par bulb. Filtration could be fluval Aqua clear. I personally would do model ac20 or 30. Using the large and most liked ac70 will be too much flow. You could buy the intank media basket for the ac20, this will give you room for floss and gfo, chemipure etc. there are more expensive options for lighting and even the filtration, but the above would work nicely, oh and 25 watt heater.

I agree with everything nanofreak said. Definatly get the in-tank inserts or make your own. The aquaclears kinda suck without them.

I used an AC20 on a 2.5 gallon and needed to add a tiny 40gph powerhead for extra flow.

Odobenus rosmarus

Thank you for the replies. What par bulbs would you guys recommend? I asked around on a Facebook group about this topic as well and most of the people said that a par30 bulb would work fine for this tank. I will most likely purchase an aqua clear 20 with the inTank media basket, they seem pretty awesome.

Odobenus rosmarus

Okay so I have an update already. I bought a "54W E27 18LED Coral Reef Grow Light 12White+6Blue PAR38" off of ebay for a whopping $19!!! I trust this light because I have bought other Chinese LED's off of ebay and had success with them. What do you guys think of this light, do you think it will produce results?

As you can probably tell this is a bit of a budget build so what do you guys think of running this system filterless? The idea would be to have adequate flow and do frequent water changes to keep everything under control.

Odobenus rosmarus

I've gone a little deeper into the tank plans, I'm open to any advice because this is a first time doing a tank this small. Here is what I have come up with so far.

Equipement

Filtration: filterless (1-2 weekly water changes)

Light: chinese par38 (this light will most likely be replaced with something higher quality in the future) I'm planning on using a paper lantern fixture that hangs from the ceiling for this light. I want this tank to have a "clean" zen look to it, minimal cords/visible equipment.

Flow: hydor koralia 240gph

heater: I need help finding one small enough that won't be an eye sore

ATO: DIY gravity ato (will probably be upgraded in the future as well)

Stocking

- 3 sexy shrimp

- 1 porcelain crab and/or 1 pom pom crab (let me know what you guys think of these guys being kept together!)

- CUC I will need some advice on this, I won't be having any hermits if I'm going to have a porcelain or pompom

- Mini maxi anemone(s) or other small sized anemones for the shrimps and crab

- Easy to keep LPS and soft coral to begin

Odobenus rosmarus

I still had all of the stuff from my 10 gal reef so I decided to just use the rock and sand I already had and do some aquascaping. While I was aquascaping I remembered that I also had some pre made saltwater for water changes on the 10 gallon. So I decided to just fill the thing with water... Then I came across an old AC20 and 50watt heater I had for a QT tank... So One thing led to another and the tank is setup! Just waiting for the light to come in the mail and for the cycle to begin. I will be doing tests pretty soon.

resized1.tiff

Odobenus rosmarus

I watched a video of someone who drilled the bottom their nano cube and used a canister filter with an inline heater connected to the bulkheads. The bulkheads were in the middle of the bottom pane of glass and the inlet and outlet were hidden within the rock work so that there was an illusion of flow coming out of nowhere, it was an awesome looking tank. I thought this idea would be useful for my tank because I would like to hide AS MUCH equipment as possible so that there is nothing taking away from the look of the corals and aquascape. I decided to jump on sketch up and use this idea but alter it for my needs. I can't drill the bottom of the tank because that would mean that I would have to also drill my stand and if I'm going to be bringing this tank to university (thats the whole reason for this tank) I can't be drilling desks or tables to put my bulkheads through lol. So here is what I came up with. I'm going to drill the back of the tank near the bottom so that the sand covers any sight of the bulkheads and I will use rock to hide the inlet and outlet. Let me know what you guys think!

Sketch 4.tiff

Sketch 3.tiff

Sketch 2.tiff

Sketch 1.tiff

How do I post pictures? I can't figure it out.

On the topic of AQ filters. I bought a AC70 and then also bought an AC20 impeller. After I modded the AC70, it turned out the AC20 impeller was a waste of money(only $9, but a waste of $9).

I probably wouldn't have even needed to cut the tab out to limited the flow more, but I don't have a fine grain sandbed to get blown around. I got the sand that is mixture of sand and sea shells etc. So flow isn't an issue at all, and you can really turn it down if you cut the tab out.

So I guess it depends on your sandbed. I see the shells rocking back and forth a little with the flow all the way up, so I take it back just a tad.

I have mine on a 3 gallon jbj picotype.

Odobenus rosmarus

The light should be coming in the mail soon (crossing my fingers) but before it does come in the mail I need to make up my mind on what I actually want to do with this tank. I've decided that I'm going to get some "bullet-proof" corals such as GSP, xenia, and mushrooms as soon as my cycle is done and pretty much just sit on those for a month to literally test the waters. I have no idea if I should use filtration or not, is it really worth spending the extra money for something that might not make a difference? I don't know but my instinct is telling me no. I should probably go filterless since I'm penny pinching right now and I don't see anything wrong with my setup so far. Although that brings a different topic to my mind. If I'm going filterless that means the biology in my tank is going to be doing the heavy lifting which means I should probably be dosing a probiotic supplement like the ones KZ sells. I've been thinking of using the big 3 that KZ sells, zeofood, zeobak, and zeostart and diluting the solutions. I would be under dosing these quite a bit since I've never used them. Anyways this was sort of just a brain dump, let me if you guys have opinions on this stuff.

If you're just having those corals, forget any type of dosing and whatever filtration options you're thinking about buying. Light and consistent water changes will be more than enough.

Keep it simple for now until you figure out what you're doing and get some $ saved up.

or ... just stop! Wait until you're really ready :)

The light should be coming in the mail soon (crossing my fingers) but before it does come in the mail I need to make up my mind on what I actually want to do with this tank. I've decided that I'm going to get some "bullet-proof" corals such as GSP, xenia, and mushrooms as soon as my cycle is done and pretty much just sit on those for a month to literally test the waters. I have no idea if I should use filtration or not, is it really worth spending the extra money for something that might not make a difference? I don't know but my instinct is telling me no. I should probably go filterless since I'm penny pinching right now and I don't see anything wrong with my setup so far. Although that brings a different topic to my mind. If I'm going filterless that means the biology in my tank is going to be doing the heavy lifting which means I should probably be dosing a probiotic supplement like the ones KZ sells. I've been thinking of using the big 3 that KZ sells, zeofood, zeobak, and zeostart and diluting the solutions. I would be under dosing these quite a bit since I've never used them. Anyways this was sort of just a brain dump, let me if you guys have opinions on this stuff.

I personally do not recommend GSP or xenia, but it's your choice. Xenia's especially. They grow fast and they look cool, but they are like a pest when it comes to if you ever want to get rid of them. If even a little bit gets in the tank, it will land somewhere else and start growing there.

My wife loves Xenia and I tell her she can make her own tank if she wants to see them because they won't go into anymore of my tanks.

GSP is no where near as bad, much slower and easier to control. But eventually you'll have to start trimming back.

I love the way both look, but too much headache for me.

Odobenus rosmarus

If you're just having those corals, forget any type of dosing and whatever filtration options you're thinking about buying. Light and consistent water changes will be more than enough.

This quote actually made me really happy lol. I've been literally one click away from ordering new filtration and additives for this tank, luckily I second guessed myself and didn't end up buying anything, phew. I would like to keep this tank as simple and "low-tech" as possible but still produce a stunning look.

I've gone a little deeper into the tank plans, I'm open to any advice because this is a first time doing a tank this small. Here is what I have come up with so far.

Equipement

Filtration: filterless (1-2 weekly water changes)

Light: chinese par38 (this light will most likely be replaced with something higher quality in the future) I'm planning on using a paper lantern fixture that hangs from the ceiling for this light. I want this tank to have a "clean" zen look to it, minimal cords/visible equipment.

Flow: hydor koralia 240gph

heater: I need help finding one small enough that won't be an eye sore

ATO: DIY gravity ato (will probably be upgraded in the future as well)

Stocking

- 3 sexy shrimp

- 1 porcelain crab and/or 1 pom pom crab (let me know what you guys think of these guys being kept together!)

- CUC I will need some advice on this, I won't be having any hermits if I'm going to have a porcelain or pompom

- Mini maxi anemone(s) or other small sized anemones for the shrimps and crab

- Easy to keep LPS and soft coral to begin

Seems like you are on the right track. I like your stocking plans. CUC are not really needed.

The only thing I would personally do differently is add a small filter like an Aquaclear AC20. A little bit of filter floss and carbon really makes a difference. The carbon can help you with chemical warfare between corals and really keeps the water clear. It also removes that oceany smell tanks can get sometimes.

On the other hand, You could make it work without a filter and I bet a lot of filter feeding critters will appreciate the extra floaties in the water column.

Odobenus rosmarus

Seems like you are on the right track. I like your stocking plans. CUC are not really needed.

The only thing I would personally do differently is add a small filter like an Aquaclear AC20. A little bit of filter floss and carbon really makes a difference. The carbon can help you with chemical warfare between corals and really keeps the water clear. It also removes that oceany smell tanks can get sometimes.

I actually have a spare AC20, after reading this post I put it on the tank. I think I will end up turning it into a mini HOB refugium, I also have a rio mini sun that would work perfect for lighting it. Other than that there has been lots of progress in the last week, the bulb finally came in the mail and I bought a desk lamp fixture which looks pretty cool with the blue and white light, I purchased a softball sized piece of live rock and a small bottle of bacterial additive to help the dead rock cycle faster, I also bought an electronic thermometer lol it wasn't needed but I like it more than the glass thermometer I was using. I have set up to buy 2 very small BTA's, a cleaner shrimp, and some zoanthids on wednesday, these will be the tank's first inhabitants! I still need to find someone to buy sexy shrimp and a porcelain crab from but for now I am fine with the cleaner. Anyways here are some pictures of the tank, don't mind the pile of rock I haven't gotten to aquascaping yet.

post-86970-0-72934300-1448249021_thumb.jpg

Odobenus rosmarus

How high I should have this light above the tank? It is advertised as 54watts but its a $19 LED from china... So I'm not sure what to make of that but right now I have it 15" above the rim of tank.

Odobenus rosmarus

One thing I don't like about this light is the 2:1 white to blue ratio, I would rather it be 2:1 blue to white instead. I've read that corals appreciate more blue spectrum so I'm not sure how this much white light will affect the corals health, hopefully it won't be a big deal for now.

I have a 12w par38 led 6:6 ratio White 15000k and Blue 450-470nm.

I have mine about 6 inches above the water. I have some birdsnest that is in the top 1/3 of my cookie jar (the tips are maybe 3" below the surface) and they seem to be loving it.

I wasn't sure where to place it either and just judged it by what the corals were doing. I noticed when I had the light 9" up, the birdsnest was losing its colour. so I brought the lights down and it seemed to be doing a lot better. The teal BN is actually teal again :)

Here is a picture of how it looks (there is a bleached coral in front from a hyper salinity accident, I'm hoping to revive it. It seems to be growing some skin back at the base so I'm leaving it up there for now):

upperview_zpsae0mainj.jpg

One thing I don't like about this light is the 2:1 white to blue ratio, I would rather it be 2:1 blue to white instead. I've read that corals appreciate more blue spectrum so I'm not sure how this much white light will affect the corals health, hopefully it won't be a big deal for now.

There is a 2:1 blue light I found recently on ebay from China.

I haven't ordered it yet, but I plan too after Christmas. I'll search up the link for you.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectrum-E27-Fixture-PAR38-18-LED-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Light-12Blue-6White-/131481202437?hash=item1e9ce3ef05:g:HuMAAOSwPhdVJSw-

Odobenus rosmarus

There is a 2:1 blue light I found recently on ebay from China.

I haven't ordered it yet, but I plan too after Christmas. I'll search up the link for you.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectrum-E27-Fixture-PAR38-18-LED-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Light-12Blue-6White-/131481202437?hash=item1e9ce3ef05:g:HuMAAOSwPhdVJSw-

No way, its the exact same light as the one I bought from ebay (almost same price too) just with the opposite blue:white ratio... Well thats annoying lol, I'll have to find one similar because they don't ship that unit to Canada.

How has this light been working out for you? I'll most likely be ordering a light similar to this off of amazon, I find amazon ships way faster and are a little less sketchy than ordering from china.

On another note, I'm still planning on purchasing the 2 BTA's, cleaner shrimp, and zoanthids tomorrow so i'll make sure to upload pics and keep you guys posted on how this light works out for them.

I would put it as high as possible and observe your corals to see if they are reaching for light. If they are then lower it down closer. These LED tend to bleach corals so be mindful. Mine was only 12 watts and I do see some bleaching already.

No way, its the exact same light as the one I bought from ebay (almost same price too) just with the opposite blue:white ratio... Well thats annoying lol, I'll have to find one similar because they don't ship that unit to Canada.

How has this light been working out for you? I'll most likely be ordering a light similar to this off of amazon, I find amazon ships way faster and are a little less sketchy than ordering from china.

On another note, I'm still planning on purchasing the 2 BTA's, cleaner shrimp, and zoanthids tomorrow so i'll make sure to upload pics and keep you guys posted on how this light works out for them.

Careful on those BTA's in something that small. They tend to move around a lot and sting up other stuff especially in something that small. I put rock flowers in if I want nems in my nanos because they really don't move and don't bother other corals as much.

Odobenus rosmarus

A lot has has been happening with the tank! Everything will be up this weekend. Filtration changes, feeding and dosing, perfected aquascape, new tank placement, and there is life in this tank!

Archived