Pod Your Reef

205g Peninsula

jabeuy

Been a while since an update, unfortunately its disaster on the reef :(

Since last time, I added an orchid dottyback and 4 lyretail anthias. These anthias were coming from my trusted LFS's display tank, been there for a year, the healthiest of fish. The owner caught them for me as I was on the way to pick up, and put them in a holding tank that happened to have a male anthia in it already. When I got there, the 2 biggest of the 4 were badly beat up already...I took them home regardless. After a couple of weeks they mostly recovered, but 2 eventually succumbed to their wounds. So at this point I'm up to 14 fish.

2 days ago, I walk in, and see dead fish everywhere. 4 dead. I quickly get a UV sterilizer in. Next day, 4 more dead. Today, 1 more dead. Now I'm down to 5 fish. Lost one of my clowns that I've had for almost 2 years, and the other is looking a bit down.

We're suspecting it's velvet by the looks of what's on the fish. Also, my remaining clown is swimming against the current, one of it's unique symptoms apparently.

So 5 survivors. Clown, 1 anthia, naso tang, hawkfish, Lubbock's wrasse. All but the clown are bow eating well. Hoping the UV keeps thing in control.

• Like 1
phillyclownfish

Oh ok. Have a thread for my sick purple tang and there is a great velvet thread on another forum. Pretty much freshwater dip then ruby rally chemical bath and then you need CP to prevent the dinospores from infecting the fish again....

Oh ok. Have a thread for my sick purple tang and there is a great velvet thread on another forum. Pretty much freshwater dip then ruby rally chemical bath and then you need CP to prevent the dinospores from infecting the fish again....

Thanks for the info, will look into it

I'm gutted for you. This time last year I was down to 1 plucky chromis after velvet took out my other 12 fish in 4 days in January. It was relentless, 5 in one day at it's worst.

I'm gutted for you. This time last year I was down to 1 plucky chromis after velvet took out my other 12 fish in 4 days in January. It was relentless, 5 in one day at it's worst.

Damn, you had it worse than me then.

I've lost 10 over 4 days, but currently also have 4 survivors. Hoping the worst is over. Funny thing is, the first to go were damsels, chromis and clowns...the hardier fish.

It hit my clowns hard.

I made an amature mistake, I bought a kole tang off a local reefer, he said it hadn't been it's self for the last few days. Catching it was stressful for the fish too and I have no quarantine facility.

First to go was a copper band butterfly I had just got, I was gutted as I've always wanted one and know they're hard to keep, thought it was just one of those fish I couldn't keep as it had no outward symptoms.

Then the kole started looking sick. I lost a couple of chromis the next day, they had clearly been struggling for breath.

My clowns developed the classic velvet dusting of spots and slowly got worse.

I'd hoped my six line would make it as it showed no symptoms till the day before it died, it was the last fish I lost.

1 chromis survived.

Some fish showed the classic velvet symptoms, others didn't, it was very odd. Stuff only died during the day too which I thought was strange.

Either way, I was not amused and have been much more careful about fish I add.

It hit my clowns hard.

I made an amature mistake, I bought a kole tang off a local reefer, he said it hadn't been it's self for the last few days. Catching it was stressful for the fish too and I have no quarantine facility.

First to go was a copper band butterfly I had just got, I was gutted as I've always wanted one and know they're hard to keep, thought it was just one of those fish I couldn't keep as it had no outward symptoms.

Then the kole started looking sick. I lost a couple of chromis the next day, they had clearly been struggling for breath.

My clowns developed the classic velvet dusting of spots and slowly got worse.

I'd hoped my six line would make it as it showed no symptoms till the day before it died, it was the last fish I lost.

1 chromis survived.

Some fish showed the classic velvet symptoms, others didn't, it was very odd. Stuff only died during the day too which I thought was strange.

Either way, I was not amused and have been much more careful about fish I add.

Strange, my losses all happened overnight.

I've read that velvet makes fish sensitive to light.

Hopefully we both learned our lessons. In my case I took home anthias that had been beaten up. Only take home healthy fish! An do a QT while you're at it! I will be from now on, for all new additions at least.

What are you doing to be more careful now? Medicating or just observation?

Careful obs before purchase and only buying from people I know I can trust and hoping for the best lol. I don't have the luxury of space for QT.

I run UV already (don't think it was working when I had the out break :angry:). It's under sized as well, when I upgrade I'm planning to go OTT with the UV unit and slap a 36W sterilizer in under the stand. That should cook any nasty's pretty quick.

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems to be in the air. Been battling my own outbreak of what I think is marine ich. Hoping I caught it in time to save most of the fish. So far I've only lost two and nothing else seems to be getting sick at this point with no deaths in a week. No way to catch everything for QT, so hopefully the UV will keep things in check.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems to be in the air. Been battling my own outbreak of what I think is marine ich. Hoping I caught it in time to save most of the fish. So far I've only lost two and nothing else seems to be getting sick at this point with no deaths in a week. No way to catch everything for QT, so hopefully the UV will keep things in check.

Definitely would be a nightmare catching them to QT. That alone might even cause enough stress to make any outbreak worse.

Hope the worst of the storm is over for you. I sure hope that's the case for me, the surviving 3 fish are eating and swimming normally lately.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since an update. Tank has recovered from whatever outbreak it had. Naso, flame hawk and lubbock's wrasse survived.

Opted not to QT them, and instead put in a UV that I have running always now. Since then, I QT'ed 5 green chromis for observation, then moved them in after 2 weeks (but much more time since the last death in the tank, maybe about a month).

Corals have been growing well, but slowed a bit with less fish.

Some blurry pics, adjusted for white balance :)

27625467963_b775c50cfe_z.jpg

27625759694_6a1eb8d4a1_z.jpg[/url

27625470723_d41075e343_z.jpg

27625763284_d271c70aa0_z.jpg

27625473773_64047c1681_z.jpg

27960468000_3f7e50dcd4_z.jpg

27625772434_390018970c_z.jpg

27960473880_1ced69fac0_z.jpg

27625779084_c9c3986ba9_z.jpg

27960481190_aca7e0693c_z.jpg

• Like 8
  • 5 months later...