Cultivated Reef

205g Peninsula

jabeuy

Ya, I've heard that complaint about the Eurobracing. I don't think it's to bad though. Wow-20gal. I was wondering how much that monster would evaporate. 2 weeks is perfect amount for an ATO to last- that gives you a good vacation time! Hey- ck out my new tank thread- I finally started the 50gal.? it's called Moai of the Sea

Ya, I've heard that complaint about the Eurobracing. I don't think it's to bad though. Wow-20gal. I was wondering how much that monster would evaporate. 2 weeks is perfect amount for an ATO to last- that gives you a good vacation time! Hey- ck out my new tank thread- I finally started the 50gal. it's called Moai of the Sea

I'm putting a canopy on this though, so it'll hide the eurobracing, and possibly cut down on evaporation?

Cool I'll check it out!

• Like 1

I'm putting a canopy on this though, so it'll hide the eurobracing, and possibly cut down on evaporation?

Cool I'll check it out!

Ya, that should help with evaporation for sure

So eventually I'm gonna get some type of anemone. In this size tank, does anyone know if I could get away with having multiple anemones (different kinds) and multiple pairs of clowns?

Haven't looked into it yet, but would be pretty neat to have.

So eventually I'm gonna get some type of anemone. In this size tank, does anyone know if I could get away with having multiple anemones (different kinds) and multiple pairs of clowns?

Haven't looked into it yet, but would be pretty neat to have.

One pair of clowns only I believe due to aggression, but you can have infinity many anemones. Different types will sting each other though.

In my 45g I have one bubble tip anemone, 12 Rock Flower Anemones, and one maxi mini anemones. And a ####ing aptasia anemone.

• Like 1

In a tank that size you could probably get away with 2 pairs of clowns, but it will need both pairs to chose different nems and the nems to be co-oprative and stay at different ends of the tank.

• Like 1

Video is killer- that tank is sweet for the Monti- is your Alk. stable? I imagine it's getting enough light?

Thanks!

I'm still dialling in Alk on this tank, but it was always faded like that even in my previous tanks.

As for light, all my other montis are doing well. Though this particular problem monti is placed lowest...but like 1/2" lol.

Another video of feeding nori:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So the tank has been up for 3 months now and I feel a water change is due lol! Nitrates and phosphates and under control but I feel that some stuff other than alk/calc/mag needs to get replenished that I don't measure for. Seems like a water change is a good way to get it done :)

I have an unused 20g brute, so probably will do a 20g water change sometime within the next couple of weeks.

Also, after having recently seen reefs in real life, I suddenly have an itch for branching SPS! Uh oh! Not sure how this will tie-in with how this tank is currently relatively low on maintenance.

• Like 3

Sweet tank I'm pretty jealous, where are you in Toronto and when can I come and see it? HAHA jk.

I would be so tempted to get a carpert nem, personally think they are the coolest. If you had the nem's on opposite sides of the tank multiple pairs might be okay but I would introduce them at different times. Once they're hosting I don't believe they leave the safety of the nem often and they won't go far.

Sweet tank I'm pretty jealous, where are you in Toronto and when can I come and see it? HAHA jk.

I would be so tempted to get a carpert nem, personally think they are the coolest. If you had the nem's on opposite sides of the tank multiple pairs might be okay but I would introduce them at different times. Once they're hosting I don't believe they leave the safety of the nem often and they won't go far.

Haha! Cool, I'm on the west end.

I'm also really tempted to get a carpet. Maybe in a couple months I'll revisit, but I'm scared about it killing my corals if it walks around. I've never had an anemone yet!

They're probably best to introduce earlier than later but the water param's and lighting have to be good. You have to weigh that whole is it worth the risk idea haha.

• Like 1

Carpets are fairly safe bets with regard to walking. They generally like to have their foot in deep sand on the rock/bottom of the tank below the sand. Once they're settled they tend to stay put.

• Like 1

Carpets are fairly safe bets with regard to walking. They generally like to have their foot in deep sand on the rock/bottom of the tank below the sand. Once they're settled they tend to stay put.

Oh cool. But yeah, that's the other thing with carpets, they like the sandbed...my light probably aren't strong enough for the sandbed with the current setup.

I was also looking into the magnifica anemones, but the stinging and walking.

Still lots of research to do. Might end up with a separate tank with just nems and clowns! :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow, been a while since an update.

Since last time:

- got a midas blenny and Lubbock's wrasse

- existing 6-line kept taunting the Lubbock's who hung out by the overflow

- 6-line disappeared for a week

- found the 6-line in my sump's first chamber, half eaten up by the skimmer. The only reason I found it was b/c the skimmer stopped working lol...and I can only imagine the 6-line accidentally jumped over while taunting the Lubbock's...

- midas blenny jumped after only 1 week. Sad, such a cool fish, will get another one one day.

- got a yellow tang + flame hawkfish!

Here's the hawk:25818653156_2471dda853_z.jpgFlame Hawkfish

Some growth shots of the sunset monti that doesn't color up haha:

Jan 17, 201623818125574_e58b1d6cf7_z.jpgDSC_5245

March 9, 2016

25218237753_4b48f405bf_z.jpgMonti

Slowly coloring up on the new growth parts, maybe that acropower is working!

• Like 4

Looking good- did the little hawk. How are your sps doing?

Sps doing alright, growing slowly, not as fast as couple of months ago. The sunset monti that was really dull is slowly coloring up too, especially on the new encrusting growth. Might be the acropower, might be b/c I feed 4 times a day (all inside the 9-5 workday!)

But yeah, flirted with SPS for a bit, finding it's not for me, they don't move!

Pretty epic build. This thing is huge! Looks well thought out and well built.

Haha thanks! It was big at first but I've gotten used to it, already looking ahead to a bigger tank someday. This never ends...

Wow this tank is a great shape/size for a peninsula, I like the placement

Thanks! A little more length, width and height would be even better :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...