SaltCritters.com

It Begins AGIAN....100% custom 15g NANO.

EnderG60

i have to use a check valve. the placement of those rear returns would drain the tank almost 1/2 if i didnt have one.

and im at southern polytech

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drill a small hole in the side just under the operating level of your Locline to break the siphon. Two holes are better, just in case a snail is parked on one. Your tank will drain to the level of the weirs in the display, to the top of the standpipe in the back. Then just adjust your sump level so that it can catch that amount without overflowing.

Good luck with school!

I missed the two mid level returns....

Can you change your rear piping so that the tube comes up from the bottom to a T at the top of the back water level and then back down to those returns? Then drill a few small holes in the high horizontal piece for siphon control..

na the returns are built into the tank, and if i did it that way i would have to get some smaller check valves to put on those holes so they wouldnt blow water all over the place.

its just simpler to use a check vavle like i have it. Im sure i just got a bad one. I have one on my other tank that has worked just fine for about 5 years now no problems.

Bummer.... Maybe next time something like this will get you away from the check valve dependance.

7873flow.jpg

With a few small holes in the top horizontal.

Nothing personal, I just don't trust them - check valves, that is.

alright im just confused now...how can you expect to have any holes in a positive pressure system without having them spray water all over the place?

Bernoulli's Equation.... converting velocity for relative pressure is one way. But, in this case, there is a small amount of water that would never see the display (it would short-circuit in the back). You could also drill a small hole in the loc-line as before and while the pump is on - it is an added jet (I use mine to disrupt the surface) and when the pump shuts off due to power outage (or feeding, if you go pumps off for that) then the hole is exposed to the air and breaks the siphon.

oh oh oh i see. I thought you ment on the top of the tube. got ya.

anyway problem is solved i went and got a check valve like the one on my 58g, no more ace hardware PVC crap.

now i just gata figure out why the hell bubbles are getting out of my skimmer:angry:

Id rather not give out plans for the skimmer just yet. Im having some trouble with it. because of the small scale im getting some kind of back draft of bubbles that are getting over the baffle and out of the skimmer. So im gonna have to screw around with that a bit more.

Anyway I got a new check valve, and everything is working nicly again. Still trying to decide on a new pump though.

When the fans go off the pump heats the crap out of the tank. Stays nice and cool when the fans are on though. check this out. Room temp is 75 and water temp is only 72.5 and the halide and PC's have been on for 6 hours:D

Img0233.JPG

Got some rock in there now so the cycle begins!!!

Here is a nice nuclear pic

Img0247.JPG

Img0246.JPG

My first critter

Img0250.JPG

and the new stuff i have been working on. Screen to keep the soon to be macro out of the drain.

Img0251.JPG

And the bracket for the top off, float switch.

Img0252.JPG

Img0253.JPG

still have to wire up the relay though, so that the skimmer, and getting some temp controled fans are the last things i need to do :o

and for the hell of it a pic of my retarded fat ass of a cat

Img0234.JPG

ok small update.

I got a quiet one 3000 pump, and it made just as much noise as the mag 7 and the temp differance was only one degree so i put the mag 7 back on and this thing is going back.

I might try a dophin dp-650 later though.

I also just got in some thermal adjustable fans so im going to install them later and see how they do. If they are quiet enough ill just leave em on all night and that will solve the pump heat problem. if not i can mount a low flow fan over the sump.

My hood also got a small crack in the back from the heat, since i forgot to put a center screw inX) so im gonna fix that up as well.

Ill have more pics up later on, when i get it all done. Now i have to go to work and then study for a test:*(

That's a nice looking tank, but I'm a little worried about relying on that coralife thermometer. I tested it in lab and found it to be accurate +- .1 degrees when I got it. Right now, though, it shows 3.5 degrees above the lab grade thermometer. Sometimes it'll show 81+ degrees when the tank isn't more than 76.

this one is pretty accurat. Its better then the sticker POS i have and it matches up pretty good with the lasar thermometer.

besides im only really using it to see the temp differance in the tank and the room temp

I found that it is highly dependent on the battery condition.

New batteries = good temp readings

Old bateries = bad temp readings

I have to change the batteries about every 4 months.

did you just leave yours on for 4 months straight?

cuz i just use it to check the temp every once in a while. I like to use the cheapo stick on ones to get an idea of where it is and then use this to see where it actually is.

Im gonna try to rig up a wall plug for it some time so i can just leave it on though.

yeah screw those glass ones. I dont wanna have to go fish out a thermometer and try and read that tiny lil line thing.

if they ever made a stick on one that actually went on the inside of the glass they might actually worth worth a crap

Welp got the thermaflow fans in.

Img0316.JPG

Img0319.JPG

they work pretty damn well. nice and quiet, and provie just enough air flow to keep things stable. and will adjust if things get hot....me likey

I also noticed this

Img0317.JPG

turns out there was a small hole in the heat shrink causing the pulse start to arc.

so make sure your electrical conections are sheilded!!

VICTORY IS MINE!!!

left a single thermaflow fan on last night and my temp this morning is one degree over room temp:D

now i need to figure out a way to use a 110v signal to switch a 12v source

Go to a thrift store and buy an old 12v adapter from some cheapo electronic thingy, that'll take 110v to 12v for only a buck or two. Thats what I did.

I have a mini computer power supply to power all my fans. And I would like to rig up a relay to turn all but one of the fans off when the lights go off without having to buy another 12v power supply.

although a 12v adapter might be about the same cost as a realy...hmmm

if this fan runs on 12v and takes 2.8 watts to run how many amps is that?

Are you using a timer to controll your lights? If so, just buy an outlet extender and plug the lights and fan after the timer. Otherwise, go to radio shack and buy a relay that has 120VAC on the coil and 12VDC on the pole (switch). Run one leg of your lights through the coil and the fan through the switch.

Power = V*I current = 2.8/12 = .23 Amps

Yes, I leave my temperature probe on all the time... If you actually use the power button, then I don't know how long it will last.

Archived