SaltCritters.com

It Begins AGIAN....100% custom 15g NANO.

EnderG60

Is it real wood? Unfortunately, I don't have a Walmart near me, but I may make a trip to take a look at the nearest one. How much was it, may I ask?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know if they still carry it. I got it almost a year and half ago when i first setup the 11g.

But yeah its wood...pressed board though but its nice and strong, and when you actually glue it together its pretty sturdy.

I think i paid $65 for it.

progress report

Got the rubber pond liner in the stand...for accidents.

Img0176.JPG

sump in almost working order. Just needs top off plumbing and a lil mod to the drain.

Img0178.JPG

Also got some new dark brass knobs while i was at HD.

Img0180.JPG

Img0182.JPG

shiney :)

wow thanks! Ill enjoy it when its done;)

HEY HEY..WATER!!

Img0184.JPG

Really really COLD water!

Img0183.JPG

After some time on the stove we have nice warm water....even if im like 5 gal short...damn slow ass RO

Img0185.JPG

but i guess thats a good thing...because i noticed this..

Img0186.JPG

UH OH...das no good

Img0187.JPG

Im gonna have to drain the tank again and shim the front of the stand...probly should have checked that before hand, but oh well not a real big deal to fix...gata wait on more water anyway.

Ill have more pics later, but for now i have to write a lab report and study for a test X)

oh yeah sir barbe hatten...give me some specs on that double glass pane thing...im about to put in the lower fans and if im gonna do that i need to make sure they will clear

ok done some testing and here is whats going on.

after 12 hours with the halide on the tank will reach 80F. the under hood temps are 91F(this is with no lower fans yet) and this is with an ambient temp of around 75F.

So im going to add two more fans to the lower hood to get some air moving down there.

Im also playing with different stand pipes, and drain pipe configurations to make this thing quiet.

So far my best layout is using a ball valve at the end to slow down the drain. but im still getting some splashing sound from the very end.

I am going to try a few more things down there im hopes of silencing everything.

any silencing tips would be more then helpful.

hey looks great and thanks for keeping us informed...

question how much has everything costed so far?

and how many man hours have you put into it?

really dig the bottom part of the cabinet.

oh and a razor blade works well getting stickers off glass...since you probaby are avoiding chemicals.

J

Ill have to tally it all up for the cost so far.

i actually got the sticker off this morning. the condensation softened it and then halide warmed it so it came right off.

and i really dont know how long its taken...havent paid much attention to that. Most of the time was spent measuring and doing drawings, and then alot of time went into filler putty and sanding.

Ok..I couldnt help myself...

Img0192.JPG

I have a feeling of terror and pure joy all at the same time :

BTW...i just noticed the balasts have a lil check next to the 32w.....i hope these are the right ones....

hmm. apperently running a chiller in a closed space just makes the tank hotter!

guess im gonna have to add some fans down there too.

turns out those are the right balasts. I just finished wiring up the switches that they didnt come with(very ghey) and putting some connectors on the ends of the wires.

still gata drill the holes and wire up the bulb connectors though the hood, and add the lower fans but thats gonna wait till tomarrow because well its friday.

Oh and I added some stuff up and Minus the crap i had laying around this project has cost me around $700

Thats with the tank, sump, and all acrylic, base and hood, lighting, UV glass, heater, chiller, and pumps...hell almost 2/3 of that were lights and the chiller!

and selling off other stuff, like those skimmers and filter stuff i made that didnt work for this tank helped ease that cost as well:)

All done wiring up the hood.

Img0197.JPG

Img0198.JPG

Big black plug is for the halide, two of the others are for the PC's and the middle one is for the fans.(helps to have a bunch of computer crap laying around)

Also wired up the balasts. Damn things didnt even come with switches. the casing for the balast even has a thing on the back to cut out the hole for one....ugg. Luckily I had some switches in a box so i wired em into the balast rather then at the end of those cables.

Img0193.JPG

Img0194.JPG

Img0195.JPG

and the final pics of the lighting!

Img0196.JPG

Img0200.JPG

Img0199.JPG

I also just cut out the rest of the fan holes and the wire notch in the lower hood so that should be all done tomarrow.

I still need to pick up a relay for the top off and wire the float switch, figure out where to add some fans to the stand for the chiller and get a finer adjustable valve for the drain.

Ok info update.

After padding the mag drive I got it quiet enough to run all night without keeping me up.

Also did a bunch of testing with the fans running and durring the day with the fans and lights on the tank never got over 73F(with a room temp of 73-75F) but this morning with the lights and fans off all night the tank was at 76F and the room temp was 71F???

Im guessing the pumps are putting out that heat, so I ordered a few temperature controled fans and im going to see how they work running all night. Im also going to try putting a quiet fan down in the sump right over the mag and see if that helps.

but if i can get that night time temp jump under control I might not even need the chiller but in extreem cases. YEAH a tank with almost 19 watts per gallon that doesnt need a chiller:D

What are you doing in the way of school? HS? College? Man is that a nice tank, Now I'll have to save up and start on a custom.

College. Working on my Mechnical Engineering degree. Actually kinda funny since right after i got the tank basicly finished i started my fluid dynamics course;)

OH this is total crap.

Im working on some new stuff for the tank(pics soon) and my check valve failed!

overflowed the sump and filled the ribber liner about 1.5" high full of water. Took the damn thing off and you can blow through it both ways with ease. the hell kinda crap is this?

ok rant over. now i gata go get a new check vavleX)

Never trust a check valve... An orientation difference of as little as 5degrees can be the difference between success and failure. Then, there is calcium buildup (or in GTech terms scaling)...

Are you at GTech?

Good Luck

Archived