inTank Media Baskets

It Begins AGIAN....100% custom 15g NANO.

EnderG60

Got more done.

Skimmer is finally completed.

Img0064.JPG

Also finished the modifications to the chiller to make it fit in the stand.

Img0065.JPGImg0066.JPG

And mocked up the sump stuff to make sure it all fits right.

Img0071.JPG

Also finished up the base of the tank.

Img0069.JPG

Img0070.JPG

Also got in the black sand and the heater and stuff so everything is here but the UV glass which I have to go pick up tomarrow.

Unfortunatly classes start tomarrow :( So im gonna try and get the canopy done over the weekend and see if i can get the other tank moved durring the week.

Stuff is really going to start comming together soon:D

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp got a micro computer power supply.

Img0105.JPG

FYI you can trip the newer style power supplies(ATX versions) to be on whenever they get power by jumping the Green wire on the mother board connecter to any black wire.

Img0106.JPG

Or you can open the drive up and hard wire it and then just cut off the rest of the un-needed crap.

Img0109.JPG

Img0110.JPG

I also cleared out the stand to do some test fitting.

Img0111.JPG

Img0112.JPG

Also picked up the UV glass ( I actually got a peice of Low emmisivity tempered glass cheaper then the micheals stuff :))

And I got most of the parts cut out for the rest of the hood, and should have that just about done tomarrow.

more to come;)

Hey hey...its got a hood!

Img0113.JPG

Img0114.JPG

Img0115.JPG

Img0116.JPG

Img0117.JPG

Still gata finish gluing, filling, smoothing and then route the bottom edge and add a bunch of fans though.:P

This thing is starting to look goodB)

Great looking project you got going there. : ) I think it looks great only thing i dont really like is how high the hood is compared to the base.

Welp Im happy I finally found the paint I have been hunting for. Krylon Semi flat black. Its what i used on my last setup and I really like it, but MAN its hard to find.

Got 2 of the parts painted, just have to sand out some bad spots and its good to go.

Im also going to route the bottom edge of the canopy because that square edge is bugging me.

I am going to plan on moving the old tank on monday, so I can get the work on the stand done. Im really hoping to have the tank setup by tuesday.

I am also trying to decide on what to get for supplimental lighting(actinics)

I have room for a 2x65w power compact setup, but im not sure how much heat that is going to add. But im not sure a 2x32w setup would be enough....

I mean 280w of light over a 15g is getting up there, even with a buttload of fans and a chiller.....oh decisions, decisions

Progress update

Img0163.JPG

Img0166.JPG

finally got the bottom edge routed, but it still needs a bit of putty work. Top also has a few bad spots in the paint that need to be sanded and resprayed, but all is going rather well.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

get another peice of glass and make a double pane thingy, seal it up... then seal all the lights in except for the fans... you should keep most all of the heat away and evaporation at a minimum... to seal the panes of glass, just place a spacer at each corner and silicon seal the edges together... i'll work on a diagram for you... i've been wanting to try this, but i haven't had a tank to try it on...

old tank is moved, and I decided to mock up the new one to see what its gonna look like.

Old setup

Img0041.JPG

New setup, with old tank moved

Img0168.JPG

You can try a thin coat of poly...you may even want to mix it w/some paint thinner to thin it out before applying it. The only drawback is, once you use it, you're probably gonna lose that nice semi-flat finish you like so much. Other than that, I can't think of anything to prevent cracking, etc.

Welp just got in the reflectors from saltydawg and they are perfect!!

Thanks man!

Img0170.JPG

Used 2 of em to do the halide and the other two are for the 65w power compacts actinics I just ordered from premium aquatics. Only $30 a pop for a single 65w retro!

By the way..anyone know a good way to get that damn sticker crap off the glass?

I also just shortend the drawer so it clears the drain piping, so i just have to cut one more notch out so the skimmer cup clears and put it all back together.

Hey ender, im really impressed by your diy work. Its been a while since ive seen such extensive diy'ing.

Can you tell me a little bit about your injector for your skimmer? Is it a venturi of some sort?

Good job!

Its a 1/2" venturi off a top phathom skimmer i destroyed because it sucked. Used it to make that big skimmer and since i used a 3/4" venturi on that one i used the 1/2" one on this.

I would have gotten a mazzie venturi but they are just so damn expensive and I couldnt really see spending $50 on a ventrui for a skimmer that cost me less then $10:)

Still waiting on the 2x65w actinics, but got some wiring done and primed the lower hood.

should have water in it today so i can start testing the heating and cooling systems. Might have to add some fans to the lower hood thats why its not painted yet.

Also rebuilt and repainted the stand...looks much better now, and since i actually glued it this time its not wobbly!

Img0171.JPG

and a lil light comparison

Img0173.JPG

Welp im a dumbass...again.

over tightened the drain barb and broke loose the bulk head...so had to reglue that...so no water today :(

but i have everything else i need to get it plumbed.

Fingers are crossed for tomarrow

Thanks...and dont worry ill keep the pics flowing:)

well bulkhead had a small leak still so I have to wait for that to dry, and home depot was out of rubber liner till monday.

so looks like no water till tuesday....i really want to get this thing running and get the cycle started.

anyway did some testing with halide. just put the hood on the floor and turned it on.

With the light on and no fans the top of the hood got to 130+F and under the hood got to 120F. with the two fans PC fans on(one in one out) top of the hood stayed at 80F as did the air comming out the back. Under the hood still got over 100F and the glass got to 120F so im gonna add some more fans to the bottom of the hood.

Im going to add an in fan in the middle right under the halide and an out fan near the side.

Archived