Top Shelf Aquatics

It Begins AGIAN....100% custom 15g NANO.

EnderG60

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't said, try a ball valve on the out put of your skimmer, this should raise the water level in it, and get a better bubble. Then it's fine tuning from there with water level and air input.

Originally posted by supernip

is that paint safe? your thread is too long. please recap every once in a while... like now :)

i like how he painted the pipes then put it all behind a false back

paint is krylon fusion. Bonds to plastics. I sanded em down first as well to make sure. doenst have any rust inhibitors and was recommended by someone on reef central.

the skimmer from before aint gonna work. Im gonna make a new one after finals.

overflows were cut with my trusty old dremel and a carbide bit. I also use the minisaw attachment to cut teh acrylic. Works REALLY well, and if you can keep it straight(use a guide) it makes great edges.

thats the plastic we use at shop class here at school!

how awsome, i didnt think you could custom a tank out of that stuf! im making a DIY cover for my tank out of that stuff,

you lucky SOB...wanna send me some??

Well its gonna freeze tonight so i took the tank in. Im gonna hook up the mag5 to it and see how the flow is working out so far tomarrow(when i cant take studying anymore:x )

• 2 weeks later...

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

Well did a flow test with a mag 5 and realised my dumbass self made the drain 1/2:unsure:

SOOOO, I made up a new stand pipe in 3/4 with a 1 1/4"(for 1" ID hose)bulkhead that I will try out tomarrow. If that doesnt work Ill have to make one out of 1" which is gonna be a fun one because making the 3/4" fit aint easy.

Anyway stuff is drying so Ill have pics tomarrow...

And let this be a lesson to others...DOHX)

Ok well I installed a Much larger drain plug..this one is 1" ID

DSCN1094.JPG

Tried it again and the devider was the next cause of restrictions so had to mod it.

DSCN1098.JPG

Then tried the new 3/4" thin wall(actually 7/8" ID PVC) and it either siphoned off the water to fast or to slow.

DSCN1099.JPG

So yanked that damn thing out and just stuck in a 10" section of 1 1/4" and BAM it worked, and pretty damn well to.

DSCN1101.JPG

So the system now runs on its ghetto test rig.

DSCN1102.JPG

Note the new drain is not glued in yet and I will paint it black.

I am using a mag 5 on there and I am going to try it later today with a mag 7 to see if that will work.

But the flow pattern looks very good.All that crap in the water makes it easy to see :)

DSCN1104.JPG

Only thing I gata fix now is make the overflow teeth a bit lower, because the water level is a bit to high for my liking.

DSCN1103.JPG

So A bit more testing and I still need to order the peice of acrylic for the top brace and it will be done. weeee

DSCN1105.JPG

Welp Tried out the mag 7 and it makes a much nicer flow pattern So I will be using a 7 on the tank instead of a mag 5.

I also disconvered another flow problem, but this one is the filter/bio balls section I made. It just cant cope with flow over about 250 gph. So Since I had to order some more acrylic anyway, and the new drain pipe freed up some room there for the heater, I went ahead and got the stuff to make a new one of those as well.

That stuff isnt going to be here for at least a week, so im going to start my search for someone that has a table saw and such to make the hood, and top of the stand.

Stay tuned;)

Originally posted by lucubrator

why don't people read whole threads instead of asking questions that have already been answered?

maybe i dont wanna,

if you dont wanna tell me, then i got some advise for you,

SHUT THE F@CK UP

Originally posted by EnderG60

paint is krylon fusion.  Bonds to plastics.  I sanded em down first as well to make sure.  doenst have any rust inhibitors and was recommended by someone on reef central.  

the skimmer from before aint gonna work.  Im gonna make a new one after finals.

overflows were cut with my trusty old dremel and a carbide bit.  I also use the minisaw attachment to cut teh acrylic.  Works REALLY well, and if you can keep it straight(use a guide) it makes great edges.

right on,

thanks

well Im bored as all crap right now so I did some calculations.

Total tank volume is 19.5 gallons

Display area is 17 gallons

the rear area that will be a fuge is 2.5 gallons

Top off container 2.1 gallons(which i hope will last at least a week)

and the sump will be 5 to 6 gallons depending on how high I make it

I also just ordered my 150w DE halide from http://www.firstclassaquatics.com which will have a custom reflector made by MattGecko.

And I have started on the Canopy layouts. There will be room for a dual PC lighting system(either 32w or 65w)Should they be needed. but I doubt they will be with a 20k halide. It will also have an open back, and some PC fans for cooling.

Im trying to decide if a few fans on the back will be enough, or if i should add one on the top blowing up and out.

Anyway Looks like the canopy is going to be about 11" tall, and a local reefer(actually the president of the atlanta reef club) is letting me use his woodshop:happy:

IM getting anxious sitting here waiting for parts with nothing to doX)

Yeah, I made the rear section smaller so the peice i originally ordered wouldnt have fit, so im getting a new one. Going to be a 1.5" lip all the way around.

WOOHOO acrylic actually came today:D

Got a bunch of stuff gluing right now. Ill have some pics soon. Still need to get a few more PVC bits for the skimmer but everything is closed now till sundayX)

Hopefully the halide will arrive on monday and I can get started on the woodwork.

Welp I finished the sump, filter box, skimmer and eurobrace. So all the equipment is finished.

I also got started on the hood and base woodwork.

But since my image host site is not working I cant post pics:(

By the end of the week though I should have the old tank moved and the new tank cycling, while i finish up the canopy.

now if i can just get the damn pic host to work!!

Welp Pic server crashed so all the pics should be back up now. If any are missing let me know.

My halide has also been delayed a week, so I can finish my hood yet :(

Im going to try messing with making a gurgle buster for my drain pipe similar to this

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/domitron2/HGB/HGB.html

but since it wont fit back there im going to make it out of acrylic and PVC and see how that works.

Ok made the low profile gurgle buster and it works pretty well. no gurgling at all. But it still makes a falling water noise, so im gonna try a few things to get rid of that as well...because well..im anal.

anyway here it is

Img0235.JPG

Img0237.JPG

My halide will be in on monday..bout damn time! and the pump, heater and black sand will be in on wednesday.

here is a lil sneak peak of the wood work though. Base of the tank and the top part of the hood. few more things to fill and its primer time.

Img0239.JPG

Img0238.JPG

hmm tried making the drain pipe 1" (instead of 1.25 like in pic) to get rid of that falling water sound and it didnt help.

Anyone have any ideas on how to quiet this thing a bit more?

only other way i know if is a ball valve on the drain, but i dont really want to do that if i dont have to

Got the Halide in today FINALLY. So Set it up to see how tall to make the hood

Img0044.JPG

Looks like the hood is going to be 10.5" tall and the light will be 10" over the water line.

And now im going back to bed to try and sleep this damn cold off:x

Archived