ReefCleaners.org

2 Gallon “Cookie Jar” Pico Reef by ReefJar

ReefJar

Done cycling? What type of lighting are you using? Could you give us a little more information about your setup?

Either way, when your system is "ready"... I would stick to something easier like Birdsnest to start and shy away from Acropora.

Thanks! You can check out my thread I started if you want to see my 2 gallon jar setup :D

BTW love your corals :wub: Cant wait for mine to mature as well. Such a sweet setup!

Im planning on digitatas, but Ill try a couple of softies and LPS at first :)

And it has a couple of corals already. Now it has some zoa frags, orange acan and a baby elegance coral (its $2.5 so I snagged it on impulse) omgomgomg

Everything looks fine now and the corals were opening well.

• Like 2
Nanoreefwanabe

Love these little tanks. . Can't wait to "relight" my vase it has been running for 7 years now. ... but sadly with no lights for the last two years there is no coral left alive. . There are tones of worms and dusters and snail's though. . New light it's on the way. ..I love that people are still building these little unconventional tanks.

• Like 2

Love these little tanks. . Can't wait to "relight" my vase it has been running for 7 years now. ... but sadly with no lights for the last two years there is no coral left alive. . There are tones of worms and dusters and snail's though. . New light it's on the way. ..I love that people are still building these little unconventional tanks.

These little tanks are just as stable as larger setups, given the strategic ways in minimizing evaporation and params swing. And as a bonus you don't need to waste tons of $$$ and pay alot of bills to grow happy sps, lps and softies in these little jars/vases. Mine is just almost a month old and Im loving it already :lol:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, if you've been to my site you will see some new posts. One thing I didn't write about yet is an accident... well two things combined I think led to a bigger mess than it could have been. When it rains, it pours.

I changed to a new bulb (ABI Tuna) and I also started using Reef Crystals.

I had issues with Reef Crystals and a orange/brown sludge as mentioned before. But I filtered the water like IO said and sure enough it cleared up the water. I'm still not convinced the water was fine and shouldn't have used that salt again.

I also had some corals burn.

Here is what happened:

I changed the light to the ABI Tuna after the saltwater was switched over. When I was out, the light dipped down close to the jar and burned some corals. The screws for the clamp light must have come loose when I changed the bulb over. I thought I doubled checked them but I guess I didn't do a good job at that.

Once death started, it just wouldn't stop. I tried gluing, fragging, etc... The jar looked like a complete mess after 2 weeks. The SPS were the ones hit the hardest. The water quality was poor even though I was doing water changes frequently. I thought everything was settled when I realized there was more SPS within some crevices dying and polluting the jar. I should have removed the rock sooner and cleaned it up properly.

It was extremely disheartening to see my beautiful jar dying.

Updates:

• I've switched back to Coralife Marine salt mix and cleaned up the rocks.
  • Added new corals!
  • I also purchased a Fluval Spec V, but don't worry, I'm still keeping this jar going!

Here are a couple sneak peak pictures of some new corals that I've added and are doing well.

top-down_zps6zqxjmto.jpg

redplanet_zpsx33tpme7.jpg

bluemonti_zpsjjsjqk30.jpg

Well, if you've been to my site you will see some new posts. One thing I didn't write about yet is an accident... well two things combined I think led to a bigger mess than it could have been. When it rains, it pours.

I changed to a new bulb (ABI Tuna) and I also started using Reef Crystals.

I had issues with Reef Crystals and a orange/brown sludge as mentioned before. But I filtered the water like IO said and sure enough it cleared up the water. I'm still not convinced the water was fine and shouldn't have used that salt again.

I also had some corals burn.

Here is what happened:

I changed the light to the ABI Tuna after the saltwater was switched over. When I was out, the light dipped down close to the jar and burned some corals. The screws for the clamp light must have come loose when I changed the bulb over. I thought I doubled checked them but I guess I didn't do a good job at that.

Once death started, it just wouldn't stop. I tried gluing, fragging, etc... The jar looked like a complete mess after 2 weeks. The SPS were the ones hit the hardest. The water quality was poor even though I was doing water changes frequently. I thought everything was settled when I realized there was more SPS within some crevices dying and polluting the jar. I should have removed the rock sooner and cleaned it up properly.

It was extremely disheartening to see my beautiful jar dying.

Updates:

• I've switched back to Coralife Marine salt mix and cleaned up the rocks.
  • Added new corals!
  • I also purchased a Fluval Spec V, but don't worry, I'm still keeping this jar going!
Here are a couple sneak peak pictures of some new corals that I've added and are doing well.

top-down_zps6zqxjmto.jpg

redplanet_zpsx33tpme7.jpg

bluemonti_zpsjjsjqk30.jpg

Those pictures looked good, hope it turns around and starts doing great.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-50-45.thumb.png.12c438b0ff627d7f39f88e634ddb4b07.pngThanks so much ReefJar for the guidance from your website and threads on the forums. I used your work and Brandons like my bible. Finally got around to setting it up last night and noticed this little starfish hitchiker on my live rock. Some of my live rock came in with some patches of green algae (as seen in the starfish pic) i cant seem to find any 35% anywhere so im trying to use the 3% that i have available to me, any for going about the 3% would be much apprectiated. 

Thanks again. Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-50-45.thumb.png.12c438b0ff627d7f39f88e634ddb4b07.png

20170828_214802.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-50-22.png

• Like 1

Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-50-45.thumb.png.12c438b0ff627d7f39f88e634ddb4b07.pngThanks so much ReefJar for the guidance from your website and threads on the forums. I used your work and Brandons like my bible. Finally got around to setting it up last night and noticed this little starfish hitchiker on my live rock. Some of my live rock came in with some hardly noticeable patches of green algae (very short) i cant seem to gind any 35% anywhere so im trying to use the 3% that i have available to me, any for going about the 3% would be much apprectiated. 

Thanks again. Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-50-45.thumb.png.12c438b0ff627d7f39f88e634ddb4b07.png

On 8/29/2017 at 0:03 PM, TheRope said:

Disregard my comment entirely i found another one of Brandons threads talking about it in detail. Sorry about that XD

You should start a thread on your reef jar!  We have a lot of them around here. :) And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

You should start a thread on your reef jar!  We have a lot of them around here. :) And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Hahaha i may do so once i get some corals in ^^ 

And thank you for the welcoming haha 

1 minute ago, TheRope said:

Hahaha i may do so once i get some corals in ^^ 

And thank you for the welcoming haha 

Hey we even like empty tank pics around here!  Plus it's fun to document every step of the tank as it grows so you can look back and see the amazing progress over time!

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking and enjoying everyone's reefing adventures! It's amazing to see more and more people getting interested with smaller reefs.

I've moved to Japan and have shut my reefs down. However, I plan on starting fresh and have new challenges to talk about and discuss. I wrote more here: https://www.reefjar.com/moved-to-japan/ but I will start new thread once I pickup some hardware and sort out potential issues.

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback and wish continued success to all!

• Like 2