Top Shelf Aquatics

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Mikeymikemike

Here is a picture of the skimmer in action

12249899_10154297070365110_2350368752506

Have any natural looking pictures? Pretty clear what you are doing with the black background, dark, high contrast/saturated pictures, but would like to see what the tank really looks like.

I don't have a background for this tank when I am shooting at night I just turn off all the lights. this is a photo straight off the camera with no editing taken at night time.

11249764_10154297095905110_5117086109222

Post processing makes it look like this. I tone down the purple haze and compensate for white balance by pushing it up to 12K

12244839_10154293933590110_6877934328547

This is using the iphone camera which does not have a good sensor compared to DSLR. No filter here too.

12219533_10154297070410110_4626120644174

For this photo I used gel filters which are coloured films you put over your lens to neutralise the blue. I did not have to turn up saturation or contrast for this picture. I actually had to turn down the saturation. It gets a little overwhelming with colour.

12244815_10154296215545110_7987839612372

Thanks for the info, I might have to pick some up and give it a try. I also shoot at 10k white balance when shooting my tank, when trying to get natural colours I even boost this up to 12-14k through Photoshop or Lightroom. Have never been too successful shooting Actinic shots though, something I want to try and master.

The gel filters will definitely help bring out the way you see corals under actinic, but I find the colours to be very vivid and overwhelming.

I prefer a nice balance between the two.

You can usually buy a pack of 6 and then use a combination.

damn dude this tank is ####### niiice

i want to do an iwagumi reef now

Thank you

I think people should try to experiment with layouts and coral placement. Sometimes I see corals in random places that look a bit distracting. You can try to make a hardscape dojo and use that to assemble rocks.

• Like 8
Mikeymikemike

It's just a box or mat the size of your tank with some sand in it. you can then stack your rocks the way you want and experiment with wild layouts. Leave it for a day and come back and see if you like it.

• Like 1

It's just a box or mat the size of your tank with some sand in it. you can then stack your rocks the way you want and experiment with wild layouts. Leave it for a day and come back and see if you like it.

Cool idea. In the past I have just taped a template onto the ground or something similar.

I really do like the more natural color in the previous pictures but the gel filter is very overwhelming ,so bright In color it made me think is this what I'd see?

and questioned my self because corals can emit some intense color under the right light, I do like your thoughts on placements of certain corals that appeal better to the eye, and the dojo made me laugh, I like that name . I do have a question, how long do you estimate to keep this tank and how long have your planted tanks been running?

Mikeymikemike

I really do like the more natural color in the previous pictures but the gel filter is very overwhelming ,so bright In color it made me think is this what I'd see?

and questioned my self because corals can emit some intense color under the right light, I do like your thoughts on placements of certain corals that appeal better to the eye, and the dojo made me laugh, I like that name . I do have a question, how long do you estimate to keep this tank and how long have your planted tanks been running?

I also prefer the natural colours. The gel filters bring out the fluorescence of the zoas. I know zoa fans love seeing all the colour and details that may not otherwise be detectable under white light.

I plan on keeping this tank long term. There are upgrades in line if I can get my hands on a mame overflow, it means I wont need to used canister filter and I can install a sump.

I have kept the planted tank for 2 years now and it practically runs itself these days.

• Like 1

I just purchased a Mame skimmer so it's going to reduce my water changes! Happy days!

Nice!

Also, is there enough flow in the tank? I wouldn't imagine you get a lot from the lily pipes- are there dead spots (of flow) on the left side of the tank?

Mikeymikemike

I planned the scape so that the flow reaches around the tank. some of it deflects off the main rock and then bounces back so my hammers and torches move back and forth.

Behind the large rock, there is low flow but I only have zoas or morphs in the dead spots.

Mikeymikemike

I just traded my 4 medium sized clowns for 10 small juveniles. They are temporarily living in this tank until they outgrow it and go back to my LFS.

• Like 1

I just traded my 4 medium sized clowns for 10 small juveniles. They are temporarily living in this tank until they outgrow it and go back to my LFS.

I don't believe you.....will need proof asap....

• Like 2
Mikeymikemike

I just dosed some KZ coral snow tonight so my tank is cloudy. Tomorrow I may shoot a picture

Here is a preview. Some of them are as small as my pinky finger nail

12241573_10154304821370110_9022464616692

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. Amazing.

Here is a picture of the skimmer in action

12249899_10154297070365110_2350368752506

I don't have a background for this tank when I am shooting at night I just turn off all the lights. this is a photo straight off the camera with no editing taken at night time.

11249764_10154297095905110_5117086109222

Post processing makes it look like this. I tone down the purple haze and compensate for white balance by pushing it up to 12K

12244839_10154293933590110_6877934328547

This is using the iphone camera which does not have a good sensor compared to DSLR. No filter here too.

12219533_10154297070410110_4626120644174

For this photo I used gel filters which are coloured films you put over your lens to neutralise the blue. I did not have to turn up saturation or contrast for this picture. I actually had to turn down the saturation. It gets a little overwhelming with colour.

12244815_10154296215545110_7987839612372

The gel filters will definitely help bring out the way you see corals under actinic, but I find the colours to be very vivid and overwhelming.

I prefer a nice balance between the two.

You can usually buy a pack of 6 and then use a combination.

Thank you

I think people should try to experiment with layouts and coral placement. Sometimes I see corals in random places that look a bit distracting. You can try to make a hardscape dojo and use that to assemble rocks.

Mikeymikemike

Wait why did you get 10 little clowns? Haha

Awesome.. Like the BRS Clownfish Harem tank!

10 little clowns are more entertaining than 4 medium sized ones. Eventually they will outgrow the tank and they have an 8ft home waiting for them or other friends who will want some

I love this new trend of careful aquascaping in reef tanks. This tank looks fantastic

Thank you

I think the reef hobby has a long way to go before competitive aquascaping becomes a reality. Perhaps a company can take up idea and consider a contest to get more people interested in the hobby. There seems to be no equivalent to ADA in the reefing world. There should be an official leader among the companies out there.

• Like 2

I clean them ;)

Haha best reply ever.

Hehe, I also like the various photo comparisons - shows the evolution of the final product.

I enjoy a natural look to photos, but I also realize that the photos themselves are independently a work so I can totally appreciate experimentation to highlight a certain color, shape, or theme/subject. Obviously post-processing is usually going to play a pretty important role - the gels create some cool effects!

• Like 1