ReefCleaners.org

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

What your doing to prevent them will work eventually. I know usually people will scrape their glass with a scraper and get rid of the algea on the glass and leave the algea on the rocks to the snails.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Thanks! So far, the tank is pretty stable and phosphates are undetectable based on salifert kits

Does anyone on this forum have experience with the vectra M1 pumps? I'm thinking of getting one and using it in closed loop mode. I just wonder if it will connect to the 17/22mm tubes.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with the vectra M1 pumps? I'm thinking of getting one and using it in closed loop mode. I just wonder if it will connect to the 17/22mm tubes.

According to the website the M1 supports a 1" (25mm) input and a .75" (18mm) output. The fitting system is designed to accept hard pipe (PVC) without needing to glue it in. Of course you can use a length of hard pipe directly on the pump and then use a reducer to get your desired tubing size. You should never restrict a pump on the intake side though as not only does this put a lot of extra strain on the pump but it will not perform as quoted and will ultimately die sooner. Restricting a pump on the outlet however is no big issue.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

I don't mind restricting the pump because I will be running it at around 15-20% speeds. this will make sure they flow suited for the pipes.

The reason I will run the vectra m1 is so i can use a closed loop and get a wave mode with the glass lily pipes. If in the future I want to upgrade, then i will have the pump ready for a bigger tank too.

Still, for the life of the pump it is better to push through a 'straw' then to try and suck through a 'straw'. Ultimately, the sizes you need aren't too far off what the pump supports natively so it shouldn't be too big an issue but seeing as this is a 'smart' pump a restriction on the intake could cause it to stall and shut down due to not enough pressure (i.e. thinking it is dry running). The max flow is also rated at 7500LPH, 10% of that is 750LPH. You may want to double check and see what sort of flow rate the lily pipes in your chosen diameter can handle as I know the intake side is quite restrictive.

Mikeymikemike

really nice scape.. loved it..what size is your tank l/b/h?

i want to try to copy it if you permit. but my tank lenght is small.

Feel free to copy anything you see online. It's your tank in the end! My scape is 90cm x 24h x30d

Great tank!...what are you runing for surface skimming..can you post a picture?..thnks!

I use glass lily pipes with a skimmer, I don't have a picture yet. I'll take one tomorrow.

-------

Here is an update on the scape under 16K lighting

12244460_10154293853320110_6846917515725

• Like 4

Freakin beautiful tank.

Def remove the clown that seems like a third wheel (lol). I could say though, their orange colors really stand out against all your corals and rock. So awesome!

Mikeymikemike

Three clownfish? I hope you are prepared to return one of them after they pair!

Tank looks beautiful, Ive never seen such a nice planted tank either!

Freakin beautiful tank.

Def remove the clown that seems like a third wheel (lol). I could say though, their orange colors really stand out against all your corals and rock. So awesome!

I have 4 clowns ;) they came as pairs from two different breeders so they are already happy together

12K lighting for those who prefer more natural colours

12244839_10154293933590110_6877934328547

• Like 3
Mikeymikemike

Those lights look amazing

I like this unit for shallow tanks. It can grow zoas and lps. Do have some sps but they are just for experimenting at the moment. If are still healthy in 1 more month, we know these lights can do a good job for shallow tanks.

Absolutely stunning Reef AND Planted tank! The colors on your Euphyllias are so unique. It's hard to believe this tank is only a few weeks old. I'm surprised that the colors are doing so well.

I also have two planted tanks, they don't look as marvelous as yours though. You certainly have a natural talent for aqua-scaping. Following along on your journey :).

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Those filters make a world of difference. Do you mind posting which ones you use?

Yes gel filters bring out a lot of the colour said that get washed out in the camera

I use a combination of green/grey and light orange. These filters bring out the Reds and greens in my tank and tone down the intensity of the blue.

I shoot with 10k white balance

-------

These are the surface skimmers I use. Although purchased somewhere else.

http://www.co2art.co.uk/products/lily-pipe-surface-skimmer-o17mm-16mm-22mm

• Like 1

Have any natural looking pictures? Pretty clear what you are doing with the black background, dark, high contrast/saturated pictures, but would like to see what the tank really looks like.

Yes gel filters bring out a lot of the colour said that get washed out in the camera

I use a combination of green/grey and light orange. These filters bring out the Reds and greens in my tank and tone down the intensity of the blue.

I shoot with 10k white balance

Thanks for the info, I might have to pick some up and give it a try. I also shoot at 10k white balance when shooting my tank, when trying to get natural colours I even boost this up to 12-14k through Photoshop or Lightroom. Have never been too successful shooting Actinic shots though, something I want to try and master.

• Like 1