SaltCritters.com

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Mikeymikemike

Few questions, been following from the start...

since the switch to articial salt (Ultimate Aquacare?) did you notice a difference in water clarity?

Also whats your dosing program?

What test kits you using?

And where in aus ;) wouldn't mind coming to have a look...

There wasn't really a change in clarity. The only difference is the level of detectable phosphorus. For convenience sakes, I make my water instead of collecting it.

I dose 2 part, mag and trace elements using the KZ system

Salifert and hanna test kits, some test kits are better than others, salifert make great alk, calcium and mag test kits, hanna do good phosphate tests.

I'm in WA

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mikey,

Was curious for your feedback on how the canister filter worked out when you were using it, and whether you'd recommend it. [if I'm reading correctly you're not using the canister any more due to failure?].

I love how clean that look is when you have only two glass pipes in the display-- with an in-line heater and filtration hidden. I also love how simple the system is...fewer moving/ complicated parts, fewer number of things to go potentially wrong. Less to worry about (in terms of pure number of variables, not logistics/ severity when failure strikes).

At the same time-- seemingly so many trade-offs. If the canister fails...that's it. Furthermore, no fuge for added nutrient export or pH balance, no hidden ATO system assuming you have nothing else going directly into the display (this doubles for dosing and kalk etc.). Lower total water volume than with a sump, and no space for probes outside of the display...the list goes on.

I know those draw-backs are subjective and there are work-arounds, but do you feel that the simplicity was enough of an added benefit to outweigh those trade-offs?

-----------

Completely different question but just curious how the mame overflow is working out now that it's been in place for a while?

E

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mikeymikemike

:( no updates since last year

Tank still up?

Hi everybody, I have just returned from my end of year trip. I went to Vietnam, Japan and Singapore and enjoyed my time away from regular duties. Now I'm back home and the tank has been very good while I was away. My father did one water change once a week and topped up the ATO and was able to keep the tank clean and colourful. I returned home to a bit of a growth spurt in my acros and everything else seemed fine.

While I was away, Reefhobbyist magazine decided to publish my tank as a profile. You can check it out here!

http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/

I'll post an update photo of the tank soon!

• Like 9

Hi everybody, I have just returned from my end of year trip. I went to Vietnam, Japan and Singapore and enjoyed my time away from regular duties. Now I'm back home and the tank has been very good while I was away. My father did one water change once a week and topped up the ATO and was able to keep the tank clean and colourful. I returned home to a bit of a growth spurt in my acros and everything else seemed fine.

While I was away, Reefhobbyist magazine decided to publish my tank as a profile. You can check it out here!

Good read. The pictures are really incredible. Nice work.

I see you have a Clown Goby. Do they bother your SPS at all? They are known nippers and they tend to disturb the coral from crouching in them from what I hear.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 2/6/2017 at 11:32 PM, Mikeymikemike said:

Welcome back @Mikeymikemike! Can't wait to see the latest with your tank :) 

Congratulations on the Reef Hobbyist Magazine article, it turned out great!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I am messing up this great thread but most of the pictures ar just presented as a string of numbers to me.
Any tips on how to see them? (I am running ubuntu and firefox)

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
20 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Am I the only one seeing question marks? Almost none of the photos are showing up. I wanna see!!!

Unfortunately they're images linked from Facebook, which eventually expires direct photo URLs :( 

Hopefully @Mikeymikemike can get them working again :) 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

And poof.... he was gone. ?

I am so inspired by this read. I just found it and read through the whole thing. Absolutely wonderful.

I have found a low iron 12 gallon long from MrAqua. I will set it up and dip my toes in SW... thank you EVERYONE for this precious inspiration. ?

Mikeymikemike

For those of you who are curious. I'm still around and the tank has been going very well.

I have actually been busy with work and another side project designing my dream home with architects and interior designers so the tank may eventually be moved into a bigger system.

The good news is that the tank has gone into a cruise-control mode. I have not done a water change in awhile and nutrients have balanced. SPS are still looking good although more fighting these days as space is closing up.

Pictures to come? Maybe :)

• Like 6