Pod Your Reef

my IM nuvo 20 downsize-upgrade....take 2 (.5)! 05/18 Legendary Corals order (and semi-disappointment..)

Lizz

first FTS in Chicago (iphone) 09/20/16:

29737604161_387618751c_c.jpg

last FTS in NYC 11/20/15:

22761691787_5e83b3140e_o.jpg

equipment:

-MJ 1200

-MP10 QD

-Vortech backup battery

-AI prime LED

-tunze osmolator nano ATO

-IM ghost skimmer

-IM filter socks on both sides (because we have a washer/dryer here!)

-eheim 75w heater

-SpectraPure MPDI-90 ro/di system

-redsea coral pro salt

fish/inverts/etc:

-TBD

------original first post------

so for just over a year and a half we've had a biocube 29 (documented here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350344-a-first-timers-tank-thread-29g-biocube/) and i'm actually one of the weirdos who wants to go a little....smaller! the biocube just doesn't look right in our space and i've found myself longing for a more minimalist aesthetic and a rectangular profile. so last night we bit the bullet and ordered a IM nuvo fusion 20!

i don't have it yet, so here's a great stock image to help you visualize:

fusion20-01-livestock.jpg

we are passing on the manufacturer's stand and instead will be placing it on a white 2x2 expedit:

B8BeQPECcAMGwaA.jpg

which will be fitted with doors to hide all the....well...shit.

making the trip over from the biocube:

-our new MP10

-our new MJ 1200

-the eheim heater

-live rock (but not all of it, of course)

-corals

-fish

new stuff!!!:

-tunze osmolator nano ATO

-the ai prime LED (in white! which has already arrived!)

-IM ghost skimmer

-intank media basket for one side

-IM filter sock for the other side

-fresh sand!

i'm excited for this change and to also document it along the way here! would also love tips on transferring stuff from one tank to another. i've googled some info, but hearing personal anecdotes always helps!

also if anybody in the nyc area wants to buy a 1.5 year old 29g biocube with a stand, a retrofit custom LED setup, intank baskets, and a tunze 9001 skimmer.... let me know. ;)

• Like 3

I just read through your other thread and am excited to follow this one! It's best to start out with a bit of water volume but once you have learned the ropes I think it can definitely be an upgrade to go smaller!

thank you! there's a learning curve for sure. i thought i'd done research before, but i can't even believe how little i actually knew until i got started. i for sure consider this new tank an upgrade.....the footprint of the new setup just works so much better in our space.

i got all my tracking info and i'll have everything by friday! hopefully the tank arrives safely and we can get everything going for the weekend. :)

• Like 1

took the leap and ordered a ro/di unit. i'd previously bought ro/do for top off at the LFS and used petco boxed saltwater but i think if i really want to achieve the success i want, we need to buckle down and do this right.

• Like 2

Gorgeous tank and stand :wub:. Call me a weirdo too because I'm all for down-sizing :lol:.

Transferring is super easy. What I do is get all new sand for the most part with a cup or two of old stuff. I think I also used my old water. Or at least 3/4 of it. With some fresh. Transferred everything over...piece of cake. I had some Dr. Tim's bacteria in a bottle on hand too and used some of that. Never had a cycle. You shouldn't have one either.

Definitely following along. This is exciting :happydance:.

• Like 1

live sand! just going with old faithful....the fiji pink that's in my current tank.

your OP said fresh sand so will you be washing your old ones first or cleaning it out all the junk in it? that would be my only worry that when you transfer the sand, all the detritus trapped in the sand will be released.

your OP said fresh sand so will you be washing your old ones first or cleaning it out all the junk in it? that would be my only worry that when you transfer the sand, all the detritus trapped in the sand will be released.

oh no, i bought a 20lb bag of new sand! but the same TYPE of sand i currently have in my tank. i realize now i worded that weirdly! whoops!

i plan to do what i've read online (and what gena suggested!) and transfer over a cup of old sand to seed the new tank but otherwise the old stuff is getting trashed.

• Like 1

oh no, i bought a 20lb bag of new sand! but the same TYPE of sand i currently have in my tank. i realize now i worded that weirdly! whoops!

i plan to do what i've read online (and what gena suggested!) and transfer over a cup of old sand to seed the new tank but otherwise the old stuff is getting trashed.

ok good =). i was worried for a bit there...haha. you can always offer the sand for free on a local forum. i got 30lbs of sand for free locally and just washed it many many many times.

• Like 1

ok good =). i was worried for a bit there...haha. you can always offer the sand for free on a local forum. i got 30lbs of sand for free locally and just washed it many many many times.

I did the same thing in my tank. I washed it many many times with salt water from the tank to preserve the fauna. That way I could contribute more old sand but not have it leach too many nasties.

approximately 800 boxes just showed up!

okay more like 6 but EVERYTHING IS HERE! by some wonderful stroke of luck, everything i ordered from various places (tank, ro/di, accessories) on different days all showed up at the exact same moment.

the tank arrived undamaged and i am about to set up the ro/di unit to "initialize" for the next couple of hours...

and then it's party time!

• Like 1

approximately 800 boxes just showed up!

okay more like 6 but EVERYTHING IS HERE! by some wonderful stroke of luck, everything i ordered from various places (tank, ro/di, accessories) on different days all showed up at the exact same moment.

the tank arrived undamaged and i am about to set up the ro/di unit to "initialize" for the next couple of hours...

and then it's party time!

You are in for a fun weekend!

• Like 1

oh man. so i spent all morning switching everything over. i threw like half the live rock i have into the tank and the other half into a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater with a heater and a pump while i figure out what i want to do with it. once things settle in the new display, i'm going to try and figure out my rock scape...but for now its just a big ol' mess. catching and transferring the fish wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

some of my corals are already opening and the fish are exploring a bit so i have hopes everybody is going to survive the move. the water is still a little cloudy but i think it will be clear in another hour or two.

one bummer: my new skimmer arrived broken. :( i contacted the retailer and am hoping i can get a replacement ASAP.

• Like 1

a couple of quick iphone pics...

4fafe93d41d1a26712552c513a49b15f.pngset up and clearing up! the rocks are a mess right now. old tank being drained of the last of its water to the right.

cc4dd52fa447d1da1eff2d17412efd48.png

the rest of my rock

• Like 1

Ha, I find it funny how we both went from a 29gal to a smaller Nuvo Fusion. I was going to get the twenty, its a great looking tank. Ill be following your build as well, and I hope you have minimal losses (if any) during the change. It seems like you will be fine though.

Are you planning on adding another Prime? I am really liking the Prime so far, it seems like a great light for the money I have no complaints so far. I have seen some nice tanks filled with sps at my fish store with these lights.

• Like 1

Ha, I find it funny how we both went from a 29gal to a smaller Nuvo Fusion. I was going to get the twenty, its a great looking tank. Ill be following your build as well, and I hope you have minimal losses (if any) during the change. It seems like you will be fine though.

Are you planning on adding another Prime? I am really liking the Prime so far, it seems like a great light for the money I have no complaints so far. I have seen some nice tanks filled with sps at my fish store with these lights.

i think i'm going to try it out with just one prime for right now. i've seen a couple other people do well with just one on this same tank....so we'll see! i'm already way into how easy it is to use and control. i was so afraid of open top tanks when i first started....and now i feel like i never want another closed off tank ever again! haha

Wooohooo :happydance:. Looks great already!!!!

Does that tank come with a pre-made screen top?

thanks! :wub:

and yes, it comes with its own top! here is a quick iphone pic:

ef890d4098360ffc57a1de90787ebeec.png

and another iphone pic of the tank...moved some of the rock around a bit but its still no where near where i want it to be. baby steps!

f2e9be4f7f24c97d796fc860439b7fd3.png

this water is cleeeeear!

• Like 1

d18b3872e501e499e52b84d55ad02125.png

tank still looks like a mess, but stuff is starting to open up/look alive today!

since my last post:

-put some L brackets inside each corner of the stand for extra reinforcement/stability (just in case. there's no issue, i just like preventative measures)

-put doors on the top two shelves

-got bins for the bottom two shelves

-installed the ATO (& drilled holes in the cap of the ro/di jug it feeds from for the tubes)

-moved the frag rack to the back wall of the tank

-fragged a finger leather and tied it to a new/smaller rock (hope it grabs hold!)

-worked on cleaning out my old tank (cue the "dirty jobs" theme song)

-placed an order for more snails from reefcleaners

i really want to work on my rockscape but i feel like i owe my poor fish a couple of days to just chill out without having their world turned upside down again.

after that happens though....then it will be time to break out my "real" camera for some photos!

• Like 1

so i couldn't keep my hands out of the tank and i did some scaping.

i always thought my last tank had too much dang rock and i wanted to go with a much more minimalist look. i think this gives me a lot of room to work with and add if i want to.

22285078813_8ec35ab326_o.jpg

so i photoshopped in some of my plans going forward. its hard to see, but i already have a nice, fluffy blueberry merletti frag that has been growing a TON since i picked it up in the legendary coral's live sale awhile back. its been living on the frag rack until now but it finally has a (hopefully) permanent home. also, during the LC live sale i won first place in the raffle....hence my overflowing frag rack of amazing zoas that i need to carefully choose homes for eventually. my ricordea floridas are to the right of the merletti rock behind star polyp island and i'd like to maybe add some more to the garden. the area to the right of future BTA island is home to some blue shrooms, a yuma, my bubble mushroom (that's a little pissed off and non-puffy atm) and some green palys. would like to put some zoas over there and maybe my ora green polyp leather if it ever perks back up after being forcefully removed off its old rock.

the BTA and sun corals are likely going to have to wait until the new year when our couple weeks worth of travel next month are done with. i can't wait to add those colors to the tank!

and here are just a couple random pics i snapped just now..nothing too great because i used a wider angle lens. unfortunately my macro lens is on the fritz and i need to send it off to canon to be serviced....but once its fixed, get ready for all sorts of fun close-up shots :)

22514082739_2ef862d9c4_o.jpg

butternut the yellow clown goby hanging out with some zoas

22718227210_4e1e6f301e_o.jpg

and again, this time with shoe the clown and chromis the....chromis.

22892794482_13e567a9d4_o.jpg

my torch being....torchy...?

• Like 2

just ordered a piece of string of pearl macroalgae. i know its not coral, but i love the look of it and i can't resist that pretty pink color!

newsop_grande.jpg?v=1419164357

plus it was under $20 shipped.

i'm thinking it will go on the right hand side of the tank to give some height/color.

also, you know what is not nearly as fun as setting up a new tank? breaking down an old one. spent most of the day today scraping and cleaning and rinsing and repeating on my old tank and its finally clean and empty and smelling fresh. wish me luck on selling it!

• Like 2