Coral Vue Hydros

LazyFish's IM nuvo 10g

LazyFish

Yay! still no algae in the 10g & its almost gone in the 29g ! woot! :lol:

I have had a lot of growth in this tank recently & have had to thin things out a bit. Everything is mad at me. I'll take some pics later.

I removed some of the shrooms to the biocube 29g & one of the Kenya trees. (the blue green one but I still have the smaller grenish/brown one) Most of the gsp was also moved. I also moved one of my 4 rock nems that was growing way too fast. I did add a small piece of Gorgonia from the 29g that was not doing well into this tank & boom instant polyp extension! *shrugs* same salt mix similar water conditions, stronger flow in that part of tank.(gorgs love flow) all I can think of is that the one prime is not strong enough on the 29g for the gorg or the algae issue in that tank may have irritated it. I may add another prime to that tank & put the little gorg back in the cube once it recovers a bit.

• 2 months later...

A friend was tank sitting for me recently. She has her own tanks & previously tank sat for my 4g with no problems. She was not used to the water level in the nuvo. She freaked out because she thought it was way too low & added way too much fw to the tank. It was like that for over 24 hrs! the salinity was less than 1.010 when I got home...It really put my zoas recovery back. They all look so bad I lost quite a few of my shrooms & some of the zoas :tears: My big giant mushroom shrunk up & half way melted. :tears: it is so pathetic. The other half has stopped melting & is still kicking hopefully it can recover. Oddly the gorg & Florida rics seem unaffected as do the grandis pallys, kenya tree, toadstool, encrusting gorg, plants & green clove polyps.The rock flower nems were really pissed but seem fine as do the the fish. I immediately started raising the salinity back up. It is now back where it should be. I also did a water change due to die off. I am going to rearrange the tank rock work soon & hopefully when I order the Florida rics for my Florida tank & can add some to this one as well.

reefernanoman

A friend was tank sitting for me recently. She has her own tanks & previously tank sat for my 4g with no problems. She was not used to the water level in the nuvo. She freaked out because she thought it was way too low & added way too much fw to the tank. It was like that for over 24 hrs! the salinity was less than 1.010 when I got home...It really put my zoas recovery back. They all look so bad I lost quite a few of my shrooms & some of the zoas :tears: My big giant mushroom shrunk up & half way melted. :tears: it is so pathetic. The other half has stopped melting & is still kicking hopefully it can recover. Oddly the gorg & Florida rics seem unaffected as do the grandis pallys, kenya tree, toadstool, encrusting gorg, plants & green clove polyps.The rock flower nems were really pissed but seem fine as do the the fish. I immediately started raising the salinity back up. It is now back where it should be. I also did a water change due to die off. I am going to rearrange the tank rock work soon & hopefully when I order the Florida rics for my Florida tank & can add some to this one as well.

Sorry to hear that.

• 3 weeks later...

It really stinks. The tank looks so bad to me with out the giant shroom it gave up & dissolved but I have a baby from it. I really miss it.

I added in another type of gorg a frag from my pink cabbage in the 29 a nuclear green trumpet coral some pallys & also a turquoise color favia a few weeks back so it is more of a mixed reef now. I got the clown to pair up finally so as soon as I get my new tank settled with the rocks & all I will be moving my other pair back to this tank & putting these two back in the 29. The evil clown I think killed my shark nose. I will be getting a high fin to replace it soon. I may take pictures tomorrow every one is pissed because I just did a water change today.

• 4 weeks later...

The floods here in louisiana have really put me back. I have not had the time in dealing with my leaky roof and slime ball insurance to do what I need to. Im fighting this green algae film that appears within a few hours on the glass. Currently attempting a black out period and refused lighting schedule. Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Film algae is gone now but the tank is pissed. I just plucked up one of the rock flowers & plunked it into another tank because it was getting shaded out by its big brothers. I have been holding frags in this tank for my Florida pico biotope. I just pulled those out too so now it no longer looks like an overcrowded frag tank. One rose coral is still in here & should be moving back out next week.

P9130488_zps21vkmj9o.jpg

• Like 2

I'm getting the same green algae on my glass and I'm almost positive it's caused by one of the spectrums on the AI Prime. I turned my green and red all the way out, so I'm thinking it's the violet spectrum doing this? If not it's gotta be too much white? I have everything ramping up during the day and ramping down towards the evening. I start out blue and violet and end with blue and violet.

Do you get RO/DI water from your LFS or do you have your own system? I haven't tested for phosphates in awhile, kind of scared by the "known to cause genetic defects" warning on the API bottle. At least the Nitrate testing solution is only "Fatal if Inhaled" combined with "known to cause genetic defects." I can deal with one bottle messing up my genetics but not two. And if it's mixed with being fatal if inhaled that's a little better than just being known to cause genetic defects on it's own.

I get salt water from the lfs. I use tap for top offs. I have well water it has been tested and is actually pretty good never had a problem with my tap water over many years. I usually test if I see a problem or if the tank is new or I make a drastic change to it.

• 5 months later...

The tank is doing quite well. I have been fragging & thinning things out lately. I fragged off some of the kenya trees & removed the blade gorg, star polyps & rics to other tanks. I have added some acans & an unusual looking platygyra brain. The Favia was moved & placed on the wall where it is starting to grow onto the glass now. I had put another rfa in the tank. The two small ones started outgrowing the oldest one & had it all squished so I put the older one in another tank. One RFA that I had gotten at just over an inch wide has grown HUGE!

P2130556_zpsr8aouf9y.jpg This is the tank about a month agojust before I removed two of the RFA.

nem_zpsstnhudll.jpg

Love dem nems! this guy is HUGE! Also about a month ago.

P2130610_zpsuzzserak.jpg

Orange crush acans & the others are kind of lavender,green & orangybrownish. I wish I had gell filtrs to realy show these colors they are so ORANGE in person.

P2130616_zpsjyugeji1.jpg

P2130575_zpspnhm33l4.jpg

both FTS from about a month ago.

• Like 4
On 3/17/2017 at 4:48 PM, LazyFish said:

P2130556_zpsr8aouf9y.jpg

P2130616_zpsjyugeji1.jpg

Tank looks great, but those cinnamon palys! :wub:  Might I ask where you found them?  (Not that I can put them in my tank right now because they'd cover a third of the width with one polyp! :lol:)

The grandis palys? I ordered them off of ebay about 4 or 5 years ago. I can't remember what seller but they were impossible to get localy at the time. It started as one polyp they have grown super super slow for some reason. They have green brown & white on them. They look more brown in that picture but In person they are more green. The color & pattern changes depending on the lighting. I have about 6 polyps now. It has been in several tanks over the years & has been almost impossible to kill no matter what stupid things I do. It spent more than 6 months completely closed up to little bumps & came back from that. Harder to kill than shrooms these things should be number one on any beginner coral list.

Haha that's awesome!  I love how unique each polyp is, too, with its own pattern and coloration.  I just got a single greenish-brown paly grandis from Reef Gardener and really like it.  Been thinking about putting a variety of P. grandis in a larger tank someday.  Along with tons of mushrooms of course, because I love 'em.

I took a screen shot of it. The levels vary throughout the day. The capture shows the highest level settings I have this on my 10 g and on the 2 primes running my 20g the very bottom edge of the light is about 8 inches off the tank lid. It hangs forward of the rock work & is tilted back/down slightly aiming the light words the rock work. Clipboard01_zpso0d7kjnc.jpg

2_zpsxd2nxokk.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome hope this helps. Mine still run pretty cool using about 50% power. Softies, zoas & LPS seem to LOVE it. I have some sps montiporas in the 20g about half way up in the tank with x2 of these same set up...Its been a little over a week & they aren't dead yet. The red one looks a little more colorful so that's good . The green one fell in a hungry favia & then an angry RFA . It was in there over night both times & got some nasty stings its not happy so idk if it likes it or not yet its really pissed & not looking too hot.

• 3 months later...

Tank is still going! I did some heavy pruning with macros, the green Kenya & the Cabage coral but they are growing out again. I have some new Acans & moved a little cyphastrea & a tiny montipora that got a little baked in the 20g into this tank. The Monti is recovering rather quickly but the cyphastrea not so much...but it is still alive so that is a plus. Moved the pallys to the 20g and some of the rfa aswell. That toadstool makes me think Bonsai lol I like its shape. the platygyra is finally taking off I've seen a good bit of growth lately as before it has been very slow.

P7221010_zpsbykwfo1w.jpg

P7220996_zps8xcehw1q.jpg

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Tank is still going! I did some heavy pruning with macros, the green Kenya & the Cabage coral but they are growing out again. I have some new Acans & moved a little cyphastrea & a tiny montipora that got a little baked in the 20g into this tank. The Monti is recovering rather quickly but the cyphastrea not so much...but it is still alive so that is a plus. Moved the pallys to the 20g and some of the rfa aswell. That toadstool makes me think Bonsai lol I like its shape. the platygyra is finally taking off I've seen a good bit of growth lately as before it has been very slow.

P7221010_zpsbykwfo1w.jpg

P7220996_zps8xcehw1q.jpg

Don't know how I've missed this tank up til now, but I love it. 

It's been getting rather overgrown lately. I have had to prune things back & frag some of the leathers a few times & move some stuff to the 20g. I am debating weather or not to do heavy pruning on that toadstool soon. It is getting rather large but has such a good shape. I don't want to mess it up... I have had it a few years now. It started off just a little larger than a quarter in another tank of mine.

Interestingly after I did some tweaking on the lighting spectrum my growth started to pick up but I actually turned it down a bit on some of the spectrum & not up but the corals seem to like it.

I have a friend with a 55 that I help her out with. She gets choice picks when I prune things & I make frags for her. Out of just this 10g tank she got x4 red shrooms, x1 spotted shroom x2 large cabbage frags & x2 good sized green kenya frags & chunks of 2 kinds of macro the last time I pruned it. I'm sure she would love a chunk of that toadstool but I'm scared to cut it. I really should frag it soon in case something happens to my colony....(knock on wood)You cant see in this picture by the nuclear green trumpet corals they have a little buddy next to them a bright greenish blue trumpet coral with two heads she gave me it got buried in her tank & I found it in the sand it was almost dead but now it's almost fully recovered!