Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Magnetic Mount Mini Frag Racks - 1st Batch/New Mount

Oceanbox Designs

Oceanbox Designs

Mini Magnetic Frag Racks now available for order at: http://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/magnetic-mount-mini-frag-rack/

Here is a cool custom mini frags racking system that I just finished. It took quite a while as I was getting my head around designing a good embedded magnetic system.

It turns out better than I expected and can hold up through 6mm thick glass deepening on the weight of the unit being held, I'd need to up the amount of magnets or going with larger size for something larger. Both the inside and outside magnets are sealed so they are totally rust-proof, these are super strong rare earth magnets.

22595131996_d87a45cbb1_z.jpg

22595131876_2d4a461b68_z.jpg

21999997643_fe950b9a36_z.jpg[

21999997803_48ce09f3a1_z.jpg

This is the 2nd custom rack that is 9x6" and holds 39 frag plugs.

22433226150_b75b6abd13_z.jpg

22621139595_a656c57d1e_z.jpg

22607617322_491b734c76_z.jpg

And strangely the entire system is a perfect fit for the 3.2G S-AIO :)

22433224970_d89540633f_z.jpg

21998369754_f123562b38_z.jpg

22607616892_9914ea2d72_z.jpg

Very cool! Can you make it smaller (But with the same amount of frag plugs; so like thinner acrylic around the holes)

Sure, that's possible. This is 6x1", I can probably make it 5x1" moving each hole 1/4" closer.

More sexiness, I like the small frag racks.

There are more coming :)

Maybe one falls into my top secret project. Jus sayin !

Lol. It would def be one of them :)

When will the magnetic ones be ready for sale?

I was thinking to keep them in the line of custom work. If you're interested I have no problem making them for you.

Are they for sale? Ill take two!!

Yeah i would buy one as well. What you price it out at?

Thanks for the interest guys. I just don't have enough magnets to do more at this time. If if you'd like put a custom order in, I can get them out asap.

What would be a reasonable price point for you guys? I really want to keep it under $20 shipped but cost of the sealed magnets on the outside aren't exactly cheap, they run about $1.70ea. + shipping, then there are 4 inside magnets (2 on each side), plus acrylics and fabrication.

I know it looks like a very simple rack but making it is not, especially the embedded magnet mount system. I know that if i priced it too high then I'd not even want to buy one for myself so Im interested to know what would be a good price point for you guys and I'll see if I can make that work.

Sure, that's possible. This is 6x1", I can probably make it 5x1" moving each hole 1/4" closer.

There are more coming :)

Personally, if the holes are too close, I find them hard to use as you run the risk of corals fighting :)

Thanks for the interest guys. I just don't have enough magnets to do more at this time. If if you'd like put a custom order in, I can get them out asap.

What would be a reasonable price point for you guys? I really want to keep it under $20 shipped but cost of the sealed magnets on the outside aren't exactly cheap, they run about $1.70ea. + shipping, then there are 4 inside magnets (2 on each side), plus acrylics and fabrication.

I know it looks like a very simple rack but making it is not, especially the embedded magnet mount system. I know that if i priced it too high then I'd not even want to buy one for myself so Im interested to know what would be a good price point for you guys and I'll see if I can make that work.

I think $25 shipped is a reasonable price, they look like very well made racks. I'd be interested in one myself!

$25 shipped seems like a VERY fair price.

Its funny, I just made an acrylic rack and with all the materials it ended up costing more that than and looks like $hit lol.

Nice craftsmanship!

Yeah i think 20 to 25 dollars would be a fair price point. I have seen other options around the 15 dollar mark but you can clearly see the quality is not their. Yours look like a premium piece and i would pay the extra dollars for that quality.

You could possibly just use regular magnets and seal with epoxy... It might add some time to the fab process but should decrease cost quite a bit by using regular magnets and epoxy is pretty cheap. Also you could definitely simplify the exterior magnets - I definitely see the minimalist look of the tiny exterior as important but I think there's a way to get that with simpler magnets though again may be offset by time if paint and felt gets involved.

Just a thought.

As for cost - I think your $20 mark is good, some are cheaper but not as nice. If enough people are specifically concerned for quality you may be able to bump it up to $25. OR you could have a $20 version and a $25 premium version.

As you come out with more cool designs I think it would be neat to put together a pricing scheme to encourage people to purchase more than just 1 item. I think the "custom" work is still cool but you can reach a broader customer base with these types of products.

Personally, if the holes are too close, I find them hard to use as you run the risk of corals fighting :)

Agreed, my original spacing was perfect.

Hi Mr Reefer

I sent you some private messages in regards to my light stands.. Can you read them and please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thank you

$25 shipped seems like a VERY fair price.

Its funny, I just made an acrylic rack and with all the materials it ended up costing more that than and looks like $hit lol.

Nice craftsmanship!

Yeah i think 20 to 25 dollars would be a fair price point. I have seen other options around the 15 dollar mark but you can clearly see the quality is not their. Yours look like a premium piece and i would pay the extra dollars for that quality.

I think $25 shipped is a reasonable price, they look like very well made racks. I'd be interested in one myself!

Thank you everyone, looks like $25 shipped is good price point for me as well. I will have more magnets ordered on their way and will post up order link soon.

You could possibly just use regular magnets and seal with epoxy... It might add some time to the fab process but should decrease cost quite a bit by using regular magnets and epoxy is pretty cheap. Also you could definitely simplify the exterior magnets - I definitely see the minimalist look of the tiny exterior as important but I think there's a way to get that with simpler magnets though again may be offset by time if paint and felt gets involved.

Just a thought.

As for cost - I think your $20 mark is good, some are cheaper but not as nice. If enough people are specifically concerned for quality you may be able to bump it up to $25. OR you could have a $20 version and a $25 premium version.

As you come out with more cool designs I think it would be neat to put together a pricing scheme to encourage people to purchase more than just 1 item. I think the "custom" work is still cool but you can reach a broader customer base with these types of products.

You have a good point but im also trying balance quality and fabrication process, of course I put quality on top. Epoxy coating them myself are just too messy and could probably ended up looking like crap, I don't even want to think about painting the outside ones, that's another messy step and will end up chipping.

Hi Mr Reefer

I sent you some private messages in regards to my light stands.. Can you read them and please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thank you

I didn't see any new PM from you. The last Pm was mine.

Nice! Ill be ordering in a week once i pay off my visa bill! :) any chances of custom colours?

Sounds good! If you buy more than 2, i'll be happy to do custom colors, the magnetic part stay black though.

Archived