Cultivated Reef

thecoralbeauty

It's fun watching your tank and Stella's tank at the same time. It's like a race but isn't. I'm looking forward to see how you both create your tanks.

• Like 2

yea... the thing is- the picture he sent me, the durso is on the right. (crossing to the left via the connector). my durso is on the left, (i think?) - all of this is just blurring together for me now.

going to go find some PVC cement. (or is it ABS glue i should use??)

I got some all purpose cement since I wasn't sure. I also used some purple primer.

Gw4ifdx.jpg

yea... the thing is- the picture he sent me, the durso is on the right. (crossing to the left via the connector). my durso is on the left, (i think?) - all of this is just blurring together for me now.

going to go find some PVC cement. (or is it ABS glue i should use??)

Mine is on the left as well.

I would advise against the elbow. Although it is included, it will be probamatic for two reasons. Firstly, with dursos you want to avoid 90 degree bends- they cause unnecessary noise. Consider a 45 instead. More importantly, when you dismantle this the first time you will have to cut the barb off, thus ruining the entire standpipe assembly. Even if you plan on keeping this for awhile, most people play with plumbing at some point. You might want to consider using the following: a male slip fitting-female coupling-male threaded coupling-then whatever you want with a threaded side. You can use Teflon to seal threads without creating a permanent bond. This will allow you change things easily as well as remove the standpipe if need be.

• Like 4
thecoralbeauty

oh i should have checked this thread before gluing it... stella, i used the same glue but no primer.

on the bright side- it's curing, so WATER TOMORROW!!! :) cant wait to get this wet.

• Like 3

oh i should have checked this thread before gluing it... stella, i used the same glue but no primer.

on the bright side- it's curing, so WATER TOMORROW!!! :) cant wait to get this wet.

Yup, me too!!!! I'm going to leak test the overflow box and bulkheads before I add sand and such. Putting in RODI, then if it's good, will mix the salt in the tank.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Yup, me too!!!! I'm going to leak test the overflow box and bulkheads before I add sand and such. Putting in RODI, then if it's good, will mix the salt in the tank.

me tooo!

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

i actually had a dream about this tank. I dreamed about the glue, i dreamed about pouring water in and how i can barely stand to wait to make sure it doesn't leak before mixing salt/putting in sand... AAAHHHH

• Like 1

Power Activate!!!

YES!!! Love it.

i actually had a dream about this tank. I dreamed about the glue, i dreamed about pouring water in and how i can barely stand to wait to make sure it doesn't leak before mixing salt/putting in sand... AAAHHHH

HAHA! I had a dream about my tank too. But I dreamt that I filled it up with RODI and the entire tank leaked 66 gallons out on the kitchen floor. Not joking!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

YES!!! Love it.

HAHA! I had a dream about my tank too. But I dreamt that I filled it up with RODI and the entire tank leaked 66 gallons out on the kitchen floor. Not joking!

oh my god. oh god i hope that doesn't actually happen.

I've also been toying with the idea of taking the black backing off and replacing with white contact paper... but i dreamed i ruined it because it wouldn't come off cleanly

not sure if that's based on anything other than anxiety, but... yikes.

• Like 1

oh my god. oh god i hope that doesn't actually happen.

I've also been toying with the idea of taking the black backing off and replacing with white contact paper... but i dreamed i ruined it because it wouldn't come off cleanly

not sure if that's based on anything other than anxiety, but... yikes.

Yeah, that is ONE dream I do NOT want to come true ;)

I thought about taking the black backing off as well but then realized I don't like the look of the black overflow with a different color back so I'm leaving it so it will look cleaner. But that's just me. I also had the same concerns about the vinyl coming off cleanly. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Yeah, that is ONE dream I do NOT want to come true ;)

I thought about taking the black backing off as well but then realized I don't like the look of the black overflow with a different color back so I'm leaving it so it will look cleaner. But that's just me. I also had the same concerns about the vinyl coming off cleanly. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing!

Yea, that was the other thing too. it might look weird with a stripe down the back from the black overflow... i'll just leave it for now.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

I just got the notification that my screen top has shipped! woo!

Will go home, run more Ro/DI water and get cracking on the mesh top.

very exciting stuff!

Sk8n Reefer sent me some great info on how to determine what level to set my sump at- forever grateful. AND since we are both in Colorado- if worst comes to worst, I might be able to get some local help too. Hoping I can figure it out tonight though!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

had a power outage that threw a huge wrench in my brilliant plan... but now we are back on board and getting wet.

IMG_4476_zpsn77wdly9.jpg

BUT NOW i have a leak that makes 0 sense to me... A LEAK! ARGH!!!!

how on earth is the water getting into the grey return pipe?? the water is only like 3 inches deep right now-what?!?!? is the pipe cracked?!

• Like 1

Leak has to be coming from return pipe assembly (in the overflow area). If you had to screw any of the assembly together that is probably where the leak is originating. Maybe snug up the assembly a bit? Don't go too crazy though because they can break from over tightening. I'd honestly just leave it be myself as long as the water is contained in system.

It's not a leak .

Since you didn't glue the pipes to the bulkhead inside the overflow (don't worry - you shouldn't glue them) water is just seeping past that pipe and into the tubing . This is not a problem nor will it ever be. It's totally normal.

If the water was outside of the tubing - that would be an issue

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*