SaltCritters.com

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Good luck! Sump the harasser! Temporary time out. Since you didn't turn out to be my Santa I got my own candy cane. So I hope yours is behaving

he's actually doing great in my sump, and i see him more there than i did when he was in my 20 display.

good to hear you got your own!

Edit: i can't actually sump him, he's a jumper and i have no lid on my sump... he actually took a leap last night while i was re-scaping after finding the sick anthias and i had to scramble to keep the cats away and grab him off the carpet to throw him back in.

Snowing? :( I'm not ready for snow yet.

I like it cold, so that part is great. But snow? Shit I have yet to unpack my winter clothes. I left and it was still in the 70s

yea... its kinda gross. but the sun is out this morning here!

when i unpacked my winter clothes i realized most of them are very old and ratty-looking. Stitch Fix and Trunk Club are amazing for fixing wardrobe things like that!

yea... its kinda gross. but the sun is out this morning here!

when i unpacked my winter clothes i realized most of them are very old and ratty-looking. Stitch Fix and Trunk Club are amazing for fixing wardrobe things like that!

What do you get from them, dresses or separates?

jedimasterben

lubbock's wrasse is harassing that hiding guy.

what the heck!? he's usually the nice one.

what on earth?! no wonder he's hiding.

Anthias are a similar shape, and so that is probably why the wrasse is upset. Fish of similar sizes and colors will often be aggressive towards each other.
thecoralbeauty

What do you get from them, dresses or separates?

you can ask- stitch fix sends you five things and you only pay for what you keep. you can send the person a pinterest board, and a personal note. i just wrote "i need warm cozy sweaters and things" and that's what they sent: three sweaters, a cardigan, and a scarf- over the summer i've asked for dresses, and occasionally i'll ask for business-type clothes as well when a pencil skirt or blazer wears out from work. pretty affordable prices.

trunk club sends you closer to 20 things, more like nordstrom prices, but you have a person assigned to call you and talk about what you already have in your closet and what you want them to send you. it feels a little more personal- free shipping both ways and again, only pay for what you keep. feedback is more detailed on their form and you can call/email/facebook the person who picked the clothes for you and tell them to send another size in something, or colors or something else like that directly instead of going through the system.

between the two of those, i've successfully avoided the mall and all the holiday craziness.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Anthias are a similar shape, and so that is probably why the wrasse is upset. Fish of similar sizes and colors will often be aggressive towards each other.

ahhh. the carpenter's wrasse has left him alone so far. the carpenters is more dominant over the lubbocks wrasse usually, so it's interesting to see him going after them. though, the anthias is similar color to the lubbock's. so that may be why!

Screen top that sump to protect jumpers. Easy peasy

i have one on the display. not on my sump. because i need to get in frequently to feed my NPS. and the fuge part is so small it would be kind of a pain.

thecoralbeauty

if u put the fish in ur sump, wont ur sump be filthy from fish poop? sorry if this is a stupid question but i figure the fish will go into the larger chamber AFTER mechanical filtration...

yea, i have my mechanical filtration, then my fuge, then the return pump. I have sand, the pistol shrimp, and my NPS in the fuge part of it. it's dirty. yes. but it was dirty in the first place.

Ok- so, feel free to get out the beating sticks... but i went to a frag swap today and saw nothing i liked (well, a torch, but it was 150 bucks for like three heads, and kind of brown. nothing super special. so i didn't.
Instead, i ended up with a damsel and an atlantic blue tang.
yea.
I'm terrible.
but, i'm mixing water currently for water changes and am keeping a close eye on my ammonia and nitrates.
i've added 4 fish in the last 48 hours.
but they're small.
both anthias are now out and swimming, eating, etc. blue tang is happy and out swimming (yellow tang is turning into a bossy pants) and the springer's damsel is hiding. i have a feeling that he won't hide for long though.
photos to come.
thecoralbeauty

Indeed. Nitrates will not kill fish, but ammonia will, how ever your clams will make fast work of any ammonia.

im glad i've escaped the beating stick.... for now. though besides my replacement third anthias i probably won't stock much more in terms of fish. or much else. i'm pretty happy.

top down photos i don't think i've uploaded here before (from a week ago)

12219506_10207997393950981_5197971013803

12193325_10207997394310990_5128047841034

11251384_10207997393670974_2444871553582

And some target practice from today:

First perfect round i've shot since i hurt my shoulder:

12241497_10208063266557755_4953217341442

And playing tic-tac-toe with dad. I was going to get that last bottom right dot to win diagonally and vertically on the right, but we had to go... (i'm still orange nocks with yellow- dad is red nock with green)

12279240_10208063266117744_2575382365624

And just now- damsel is in the back still, but you can see the atlantic tang right above the yellow tang, and both anthias out (the tang is still a bit faded from being so spooked- he went totally white in the car ride home!)

IMG_4656_zpsvyo9jzdv.jpg

• Like 5
thecoralbeauty

So you went to the frag show today -I am bummed I missed it-I am flying back from Orange County tonight- any good SPS pieces?

not really, but thats not what i was looking for.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Wow, you & your dad are both good. And this was a hobby you both just took up recently?. Skills! Guys, don't upset Morgan. She has aim!

yep- this was actually my dad's third time shooting his bow! i'm so proud of him.

if you haven't tried archery, it really is super fun. very relaxing. most women tend to be good shots- much more so than men. shame more women aren't into it!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Robin Hood splint my first the other day

7F3D2799-ED13-445A-B25A-1B329325C435.png

sweet!!! how far were you? 20 yards? draw weight? this was my first split about a month and a half ago when i was only pulling about 23 pounds. haha i feel like now that I'm pulling 40 i should definitely be more careful.

12046566_10207773469153001_7148096562884

Did my first water change on this tank- 10 gal. got water in my mouth, all over my face, etc. glad i waited to shower....

Video of new fish and scape is uploading- stay tuned. i'll post as soon as it's done processing (about 30 min)

• Like 3
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*