Cultivated Reef

thecoralbeauty

Just caught up on your threads ?one or both- not sure. I could of saved ya some freak out about the false bottom overflows. A leak test will also assure you of a good sealing overflow- anyway- glad u both figured it out.....you both did right ......or Morgan.......or Stella? Hmmmmm where am I ?

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

Just caught up on your threads one or both- not sure. I could of saved ya some freak out about the false bottom overflows. A leak test will also assure you of a good sealing overflow- anyway- glad u both figured it out.....you both did right ......or Morgan.......or Stella? Hmmmmm where am I

hahaha stella was the one that was confused about the false overflow (though initially it took me a few doubles-takes to figure out too).

leak test is all good- as you can see, almost ready to turn everything on!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

this will also be my first ever sump and first ever skimmer.

excitement is an understatement!!!

i saw your post in your thread about the tailspin blenny. i keep seeing one at my LFS... so tempting!

anyway. can't think about fish right now. first, need to transfer.

also i've decided to syphon my old sand into the sump/fuge. that way i can still save my little baby snail buddies but i can still have nice fresh live sand in the display

• Like 2

IMG_4481_zpszinwjptp.jpg

60 pounds of live sand later....

Looking GREAT!!!

hahaha stella was the one that was confused about the false overflow (though initially it took me a few doubles-takes to figure out too).

leak test is all good- as you can see, almost ready to turn everything on!

HA! I was. I spent a good couple hours freaking out over that earlier ;)

• Like 1

this will also be my first ever sump and first ever skimmer.

excitement is an understatement!!!

i saw your post in your thread about the tailspin blenny. i keep seeing one at my LFS... so tempting!

anyway. can't think about fish right now. first, need to transfer.

also i've decided to syphon my old sand into the sump/fuge. that way i can still save my little baby snail buddies but i can still have nice fresh live sand in the display

Also, just a thought but be careful of the snail babies getting in your pump.

thecoralbeauty

Also, just a thought but be careful of the snail babies getting in your pump.

ah, true. how to prevent this???

more photos! The dust has settled this morning! the time is coming!!! tonight i'll make the mesh top and tomorrow probably do the transfer!

IMG_4492_zpslfcdv8yw.jpg

IMG_4491_zps4jrkemzs.jpg

• Like 6
thecoralbeauty

Lots of progress :happydance:.

No way for kitty to fall in this one :). Mine did that last week LOL.

ahh! remember when daisy fell in mine?! did you get a video?

i've lost your thread- im glad you commented. i have tons of catching up to do!

• Like 2

Yup! Just poured some salt into the massive brute I have sitting by the tank :lol:

You get the skimmer set up ok? If not, here's the youtube link I forgot to send.

Hi, check out this thread for a SCA skimmer mod to reduce micro bubbles. I did it on mine and it was super easy and works well.

• Like 2

ahh! remember when daisy fell in mine?! did you get a video?

i've lost your thread- im glad you commented. i have tons of catching up to do!

Daisy was unforgettable :). Nope...no video of mine. It was when I was doing a water change. I had left to clean the filter box. I had put the screen top on before I left so I guess she felt it was safe to jump up there LOL. She got a salt bath and then a bath in the sink :).
  • Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Daisy was unforgettable :). Nope...no video of mine. It was when I was doing a water change. I had left to clean the filter box. I had put the screen top on before I left so I guess she felt it was safe to jump up there LOL. She got a salt bath and then a bath in the sink :).

its always the little girls.... poor thing! hope she (and the coral/fish) recovered quickly.

yours are SO ADORABLE! oh they grow up so fast.

• Like 1

its always the little girls.... poor thing! hope she (and the coral/fish) recovered quickly.

yours are SO ADORABLE! oh they grow up so fast.

Why is that???? It's always the girls getting into trouble LOL.
thecoralbeauty

Update:

screen top is now made (mounted the radion temporarily so i'd know how to cut the screen edging around it.) had to go get 4 more elbow joints, but- it was a success. sits snugly. was tempted to make the transfer over from the small non-photosynthetic tank, but i have a paper due on saturday, so i called it a night after hauling the huge boxes out of my house anyway.

just think- in ten short week's ill have my masters and all this paper nonsense will have been (sort of... i hope) worth it.

Photos:

IMG_4494.JPG_zpstecfdgxs.jpeg

door open showing the fuge light

IMG_4493_zpszifz8uzc.jpg

Just spoke to harry about this- how do i get xenia off of things?? razor blade?

follow-up question: where does one get razor blades???

• Like 6

Update:

screen top is now made (mounted the

so i'd know how to cut the screen edging around it. had to go get 4 more elbow joints, but- it was a success. sits snugly. was tempted to make the transfer over from the small non-photosynthetic tank, but i have a paper due on saturday, so i called it a night after hauling the huge boxes out of my house anyway.

just think- in ten short week's ill have my masters and all this paper nonsense will have been (sort of... i hope) worth it.

Morgan FTW!!!! Suck on that Stella!

You can use a razor on flat surfaces ($8 for a 100 pack in the paint dept) and peel off any that are on the rock.

Congrats on the Masters!

• Like 4

Go to the paint department of Walmart. It's like 2.99 for 8 or something. Yellow holding container.

This!

Just be careful... Xenia slimes a lot when messed with. I dunno how much you have, but you may want to only razor a little at a time, run extra carbon, and maybe even do a couple daily water changes till the xenia calms down.

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*