Coral Vue Hydros

thecoralbeauty

But there is only 4" of water in the tank.

The pipe is one piece all the way through the bulkhead. So for water to be in the pipe when there is only 4" of water in the tank, there must be a crack in the pipe allowing water to enter before the bulkhead.

It's seeping between the pipe and bulkhead wall young Harold . That's what happens when there isn't a seal (glue) to fill in the gap .

• Like 1

It's not a leak .

Since you didn't glue the pipes to the bulkhead inside the overflow (don't worry - you shouldn't glue them) water is just seeping past that pipe and into the tubing . This is not a problem nor will it ever be. It's totally normal.

If the water was outside of the tubing - that would be an issue

Yeah, but won't it cause the sump to overflow if power is off?

this makes sense to me, but then how is it on the iniside of the tube...?

Your bulkheads aren't leaking. Most likely the connection between the grey pipe and the bulkhead is loose. So the water is seeping past the grey return pipe and then into the green tube. So, the bulkhead is working as intended.

I think it's just a piece of smooth pipe that SCA glues to the bulkhead.

you're right. The grey part UNDER the cabinet is not attached to the grey pipe in the overflow. Two separate pieces.

• Like 2

Yeah, but won't it cause the sump to overflow if power is off?

It depends on how full you run your sump. Once filled you should simulate a power outage by killing the power , let everything settle out and make sure the sump can handle the back flow.

When my tank loses power the level I'm my sump rises about 3" . I have room for it to rise another 5 - 6" or so before a flood would ever happen.

• Like 1

It depends on how full you run your sump. Once filled you should simulate a power outage by killing the power , let everything settle out and make sure the sump can handle the back flow.

When my tank loses power the level I'm my sump rises about 3" . I have room for it to rise another 5 - 6" or so before a flood would ever happen.

BUT if it is coming in from the bottom of the overflow box, wouldn't it just keep draining into the sump? There are notches at the bottom of the box as shown below. So it's not water tight up to the teeth.

VbgQyqt.jpg

• Like 1

BUT if it is coming in from the bottom of the overflow box, wouldn't it just keep draining into the sump? There are notches at the bottom of the box as shown below. So it's not water tight up to the teeth.

VbgQyqt.jpg

Why in the hell did they do that ?

Yes this could be a huge problem . In this case I would glue the pipes .

• Like 2

Why in the hell did they do that ?

Yes this could be a huge problem . In this case I would glue the pipes .

Even INSIDE the overflow? What about teflon tape to just tighten the connections?

OR a band of silicone around the bottom of the durso and the return pipe?

• Like 1

Even INSIDE the overflow? What about teflon tape to just tighten the connections?

The tape could work , but it's not a guarantee. I would glue them in so I never have to worry bout it.

OR a band of silicone around the bottom of the durso and the return pipe?

Silicone and plastic hate each other - it would work for a while but at some point would need to be reapplied.

• Like 1

The tape could work , but it's not a guarantee. I would glue them in so I never have to worry bout it.

Silicone and plastic hate each other - it would work for a while but at some point would need to be reapplied.

So I guess siliconing the bottom notches in the overflow is out :(

• Like 1

So I guess siliconing the bottom notches in the overflow is out :(

There is a tiny notch like that in my pico that I silicone shut . I have had to redo it twice because the it always falls out.

One option would be to cut some acrylic and just glue it to the box to cover the holes . That is a permanent fix , but those slots are pointless. Over follow would work better that way imo

• Like 1

There is a tiny notch like that in my pico that I silicone shut . I have had to redo it twice because the it always falls out.

One option would be to cut some acrylic and just glue it to the box to cover the holes . That is a permanent fix , but those slots are pointless. Over follow would work better that way imo

Ok, so back to the glue. what kind? :lol:

• Like 1

Ok, so back to the glue. what kind? :lol:

For the pipes ?

Same as you used before

For the acrylic :

Either Weld-on (know what you're doing) or super glue (noobs) second option would be you ?

• Like 1

For the pipes ?

Same as you used before

For the acrylic :

Either Weld-on (know what you're doing) or super glue (noobs) second option would be you

HAHA! Yes. Second option is good for me :) Considering it needs to be water tight, I better put lotsa glue on there :)

of course I do not have an acrylic piece. Need to find one. Have a saw so I can cut it when I get it. But I also don't want this tank to look like poop.

this makes sense to me, but then how is it on the iniside of the tube...?

See ramblings above ^^^^^^

Also :

Why are you not in the Secret Santa thread Ms. Ma'am ? All the cool kids are doing it.

• Like 3

And I just had a thought. So the bottom notches do need to be either glued shut OR the pipes including durso need to be glued in because unless the entire tank is emptied, it's not like you can take out the return pipe or the durso without causing a massive sump overflow anyway. With those notches, the overflow will never run dry until the tank is emptied.

• Like 1

HAHA! Yes. Second option is good for me :) Considering it needs to be water tight, I better put lotsa glue on there :)

of course I do not have an acrylic piece. Need to find one. Have a saw so I can cut it when I get it. But I also don't want this tank to look like poop.

Can find the pieces at lowes / Home Depot but only in clear . Somewhere like tap plastics (online) has any color you want. If you are running sand , most if not all of this will be covered up so you really won't see it .

And I just had a thought. So the bottom notches do need to be either glued shut OR the pipes including durso need to be glued in because unless the entire tank is emptied, it's not like you can take out the return pipe or the durso without causing a massive sump overflow anyway. With those notches, the overflow will never run dry until the tank is emptied.

Winner winner chicken dinner

You might just earn that expert status after all

• Like 1

Can find the pieces at lowes / Home Depot but only in clear . Somewhere like tap plastics (online) has any color you want. If you are running sand , most if not all of this will be covered up so you really won't see it .

Winner winner chicken dinner

You might just earn that expert status after all

haha! Now I just have to figure out how to fit my hand/arms down the overflow to actually glue this shit in.

See ramblings above ^^^^^^

Also :

Why are you not in the Secret Santa thread Ms. Ma'am ? All the cool kids are doing it.

yeah, I agree.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of 1/4 acrylic pieces if you need. Might be faster do get it at HD though

• Like 1

haha! Now I just have to figure out how to fit my hand/arms down the overflow to actually glue this shit in..

Ummmm put the glue on the pipe and shove it in the hole

• Like 1

Ummmm put the glue on the pipe and shove it in the hole

Yeah, gonna do that. I figure I'd rather not put the acrylic piece on the front and if I need to clean stuff, I can take the top off the durso and same with the grey return pipe. Way faster than waiting for a piece of acrylic and shit.

• Like 1

There are notches at the bottom of the box as shown below.

Major design flaw here. Overflow MUST overflow the overflow box.

It's all in the name. :rolleyes:

I'd also recommend gluing everything within the overflow box if that's the case.

Call SCA and ask what they'd do in a 16hr power outage if their overflow box is undercut and the plumbing isn't waterproof.

• Like 2

Major design flaw here. Overflow MUST overflow the overflow box.

It's all in the name. :rolleyes:

I'd also recommend gluing everything within the overflow box if that's the case.

Call SCA and ask what they'd do in a 16hr power outage if their overflow box is undercut and the plumbing isn't waterproof.

I just emailed Steve at SCA.

thecoralbeauty

Stella- those notches aren't attached to the overflow.

I have water in the rest of the display and it doesn't leak into the overflow part.

and yea, yea, the secret santa. i'll get on it. sheesh!

• Like 3

Stella- those notches aren't attached to the overflow.

I have water in the rest of the display and it doesn't leak into the overflow part.

and yea, yea, the secret santa. i'll get on it. sheesh!

:huh: What do you mean they're not attached to the overflow?

Mine go straight through...

:huh: What do you mean they're not attached to the overflow?

Mine go straight through...

Ok, never mind peoples! hahahaha. I was scared to fill the display when I noticed those because my durso is not water tight at the bottom. There's a clear panel set off from those notches so those notches allow water and things like detritus in but it goes up and over.

whoops. Freakout over.

• Like 1
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*