Cultivated Reef

thecoralbeauty

On 5/12/2019 at 11:09 AM, mwhitelock said:

I've been trying to email the owner about a new stand, as @sublime1996525 has the "upgraded" cabinet with a different door configuration. He's been quick to get me a quote but hasn't gotten back about my other questions yet. 

Params of this morning: 

Alk- 10.2

Ca- 480

No3- 50

Po4- .5

Mg- 1290

Something seems weird in the tank, but I can't put my finger on it. I've had some weird tissue expansion on some SPS, tube anemone has been wandering outside of his tube so I corralled him in the breeder box... etc. One of my pocci's is bleached, but not the others. very strange!

Here's some photo evidence of the weird bubbly SPS:

I added two sexy shrimp last week, and I thought I lost them, but they found each other and happily  have made their little house next to the glass:

I would venture to guess it's basically a coral neoplasm. Leading suggested causes are the following:

1. Low mag

2. Unidentified bacterial infection (mostly associated with carbon dosing)

3. Too much photosynthesis (I'm not even sure this is a real thing...)

Still very interesting and it seems like those who experience this issue don't see any real negative effects other than odd looking corals. It also seems to subside under good water conditions. 

thecoralbeauty
12 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I would venture to guess it's basically a coral neoplasm. Leading suggested causes are the following:

1. Low mag

2. Unidentified bacterial infection (mostly associated with carbon dosing)

3. Too much photosynthesis (I'm not even sure this is a real thing...)

Still very interesting and it seems like those who experience this issue don't see any real negative effects other than odd looking corals. It also seems to subside under good water conditions. 

Yea it’s gone away since. Nothing really changed. Corals just so weird things i

guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
thecoralbeauty

Updates:

rebranded the username here to match the instagram handle.

It's my birthday today so I splurged and ordered a christmas tree worm rock, like I've always wanted. Is arriving tomorrow!

Lucky me, I have my first calc3 midterm this evening- so I'm spending my birthday studying- but it means I get to also soak up some kitty snuggles and plop myself down in front of the reef for the day while I work through problems. 

• Like 6
On 6/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, thecoralbeauty said:

Your tank is maturing so beautifully.  It is really gourgeous with all the colors and textures.  Well done!

Happy belated birthday Morgan and I hope the calc3 exam went well.

• Thanks 1

Happy birthday to you, Morgan! I have spent countless hours browsing this site, and of all the amazing aquariums that are featured here I have to say that yours is one of my favorites. I wish you many more years of incredible reefing to come! 😊

• Thanks 1
thecoralbeauty

Thank you all so so much for the birthday love! The exam went well and I got to enjoy a day at the zoo and a nice lunch with my family yesterday to celebrate. 

Thank you also for the praise on my tank. It has taught me so much and I can’t wait to see how things continue to grow! 

Here is the rock. The worms are shy- so I did my best to sneak up on them. I will get better photos soon, but I also need to find a good place to put him. He’s just plunked down in the middle of my sandbed right now 😂

https://www.instagram.com/p/By5VyPapyMQ/?igshid=1tvmap696ie5z

9EC5E630-10E5-4912-BF28-A056CAFF031E.jpeg

Edited by thecoralbeauty
Photo
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
thecoralbeauty

Messed around, did some rearranging. Think I found a sweet spot for the worms. Just fed like there’s no tomorrow to get them fat and happy while they settle in, have some fresh water mixing. 

there is a magenta worm with a white tip. I think he’s my favorite. They’re all super cute and colorful though! 

The porites is hinting that it might be green, not totally brown. We shall see. 

Trying to get better about taking better photos... enjoy. 😉

9F10D2A9-EF83-4CA0-86B8-9747F5E3F912.jpeg

BBA2A416-0306-4C83-ABC7-372C9E342D91.jpeg

AE63ECE2-DF35-4A6E-AF56-B7D4B04C0BEE.jpeg

15BE987F-65F7-4846-8376-F65F6E470C0F.jpeg

0349342D-19EE-488D-AB9B-FD565D6E09BC.jpeg

21C91CEE-6C31-4DF1-BA13-D65FD66F8041.jpeg

7617C8C1-5567-439B-9D65-93128A058FDC.jpeg

8A385057-1EB0-4A1A-853A-F6A6D1F892BF.jpeg

B0F293C4-0FBE-4118-814B-88B252D5F3F3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Awesome christmas trees! Have you noticed any Porites hermit crabs living in there as well? There is a type that live in holes in the coral instead of in shells, and they often live alongside christmas tree worms.

Everything is looking great as usual. Can't wait to see what color that Porites turns as it adjusts to your lights. I have a feeling it's not going to be brown for long!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Thank you! 

Couple more rearrangements happened this morning. Also ordered more planktonic type food (marine snow, etc) for the worms and I’m sure the other corals and clams will love it too. 

6D975253-B8AB-4E0B-B8B8-26A9EAB25C6B.jpeg

thecoralbeauty

So. My mature croceas (from @HarryPotter) are both spawning. Mixing new water now. Cool- but potentially a huge nutrient problem.

the Xmas tree worms are probably loving this though! 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
HarryPotter
3 minutes ago, thecoralbeauty said:

So. My mature croceas (from @HarryPotter) are both spawning. Mixing new water now. Cool- but potentially a huge nutrient problem.

the Xmas tree worms are probably loving this though! 

OH DEAR!

Those have C-U-M a very long way! 😱

• Haha 4
thecoralbeauty

15 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

OH DEAR!

Those have C-U-M a very long way! 😱

See what you did now, Harry? 😂 turning my tank into a clam orgy.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
StinkyBunny

The main thing is to keep a REAL close eye on your skimmer, it's probably going nuts right now. My advice would be to lower the amount of air to make it a drier skim.

• Like 2

That's pretty incredible to hear that your clams are spawning! Can there be a surer sign that your tank is healthy and doing well? 😄

I hope the mass ejection of gametes doesn't cause a nutrient apocalypse! 😳 But I have a feeling that you'll have it under control.

thecoralbeauty
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The main thing is to keep a REAL close eye on your skimmer, it's probably going nuts right now. My advice would be to lower the amount of air to make it a drier skim.

That's super helpful- thank you!!

I'm debating waiting until morning to do my 10 gal water change.. make sure all the hanky panky is actually over... 

EDIT:

Skimmer isn't going nuts. Tank is already clear again. huh. 

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty
2 minutes ago, billygoat said:

That's pretty incredible to hear that your clams are spawning! Can there be a surer sign that your tank is healthy and doing well? 😄

I hope the mass ejection of gametes doesn't cause a nutrient apocalypse! 😳 But I have a feeling that you'll have it under control.

Thank you- but, apparently clams also can spawn because they are stressed, and if one spawns, another (non-stressed clam) might join in because of the pheromone cues. 

No signs of stress and no real change in params lately, so, I'm hoping this is a happy spawn. But- i don't speak clam so I can't be certain. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, thecoralbeauty said:

But- i don't speak clam so I can't be certain. 

After everything I have seen and read in this thread it is almost impossible for me to believe this is true. But I'll take your word for it. 😄

Here's hoping it's a good spawn and not a "oh god I'm on the brink of death and should probably reproduce before I check out forever" one!

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
29 minutes ago, thecoralbeauty said:

That's super helpful- thank you!!

I'm debating waiting until morning to do my 10 gal water change.. make sure all the hanky panky is actually over... 

EDIT:

Skimmer isn't going nuts. Tank is already clear again. huh. 

I'm really surprised that it didn't go nuts. When my leather corals spawn which is every 3 months the skimmer goes mental. I have to dial it back to about 30% or it'll overflow. The guy to email about clam spawns and what they mean is Mitch at American Ingenuity, Livestock USA. I know he worked with propagating them back in the 80s and 90s in Tahiti.  

birdfish@livestockusa dot org

thecoralbeauty
11 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I'm really surprised that it didn't go nuts. When my leather corals spawn which is every 3 months the skimmer goes mental. I have to dial it back to about 30% or it'll overflow. The guy to email about clam spawns and what they mean is Mitch at American Ingenuity, Livestock USA. I know he worked with propagating them back in the 80s and 90s in Tahiti.  

birdfish@livestockusa dot org

No extra skimmate overnight. tank is totally clear.

If i hadn't walked in to look at the tank in the hour window that I did, i would have had no idea that they spawned at all. 

Will he appreciate a random note? I don't want to bother... 

StinkyBunny
3 hours ago, thecoralbeauty said:

No extra skimmate overnight. tank is totally clear.

If i hadn't walked in to look at the tank in the hour window that I did, i would have had no idea that they spawned at all. 

Will he appreciate a random note? I don't want to bother... 

He'd probably love it, he's retired and would love to ramble on about it. He sells box lots to hobbyists and is still wired to the business. I don't mess with clams unless someone gets extra boxes, then I bring them in and blow them out.

• Like 1
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*