Jump to content
thecoralbeauty

Anthrax & Gangs! 50G SCA

Recommended Posts

billygoat
22 minutes ago, mwhitelock said:

 

 

Thank you both for the recommendation! I like the idea and want to check it out-  but yea, it also has to do with the tank size. I've seen some options just browsing google but nothing built for a cube. Honestly, at this point I think even building my own cabinet from 2x4's would probably be more steady. This is the first large and sumped tank i've had, so i have nothing to compare to, but the cabinet has been pretty underwhelming since i've already had to replace it for warping once before. 

It seems weird that the stock cabinet that is designed specifically for your aquarium would have such consistent issues with warping. 🤔 Is the sump an extra addition or did the cabinet design account for that as well?

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
4 minutes ago, billygoat said:

It seems weird that the stock cabinet that is designed specifically for your aquarium would have such consistent issues with warping. 🤔 Is the sump an extra addition or did the cabinet design account for that as well?

it came with the sump. it's just laminate wood. i even painted and caulked the inside of this replacement one and it's still warped within a year.

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

Yep that would be @pricewayne, King of the Husky Cart. Definitely a cool idea, but his tank is way smaller. I am not sure I'd want my 50 gallon aquarium on a rolling stand, locking wheels or no! 😆

Hahaha, thanks for the shout out!

 

@mwhitelock could look into other tool benches. A lot of the workshop or garage workspace tables are built for lots and lots of weight capacity — but they can get super expensive. The husky cart I found happened to be a promotional item from Home Depot and only $100, so it was a total score. Husky and lots of other tool bench brands have tables that aren’t on wheels and look awesome, though. But definitely can get pricey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
16 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Hahaha, thanks for the shout out!

 

@mwhitelock could look into other tool benches. A lot of the workshop or garage workspace tables are built for lots and lots of weight capacity — but they can get super expensive. The husky cart I found happened to be a promotional item from Home Depot and only $100, so it was a total score. Husky and lots of other tool bench brands have tables that aren’t on wheels and look awesome, though. But definitely can get pricey.

Yea, i hadn't even considered looking this route.  

Guess next time I get some free time I'll browse the hardware store and take in some options!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
5 hours ago, billygoat said:

It seems weird that the stock cabinet that is designed specifically for your aquarium would have such consistent issues with warping. 🤔 Is the sump an extra addition or did the cabinet design account for that as well?

We bought a 57 rimless and the stand damn near crumbled in 6 months. I loved deep Blue tanks, but their stands were garbage. Almost as bad as the old Dutch minireef stands back in the 80s that were made of metal with Formica over top. they lasted all of 2 years before they were a rusty mess that had to e replaced.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

We bought a 57 rimless and the stand damn near crumbled in 6 months. I loved deep Blue tanks, but their stands were garbage. Almost as bad as the old Dutch minireef stands back in the 80s that were made of metal with Formica over top. they lasted all of 2 years before they were a rusty mess that had to e replaced.

you know, the red sea tanks seem to be made out of nice material. I was hoping maybe they made a cube with the same dimensions and i could just buy the stand separately. 

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
2 minutes ago, mwhitelock said:

you know, the red sea tanks seem to be made out of nice material. I was hoping maybe they made a cube with the same dimensions and i could just buy the stand separately. 

Ours bubbled after 3 years, but that said, I don't know how old the tank was before we got it. I think the guy used a die grinder to clean the glass, it was so scratched that it took me weeks to buff out. Which makes me think it was one of the first tanks they imported. Keep an eye out on Facebook and Craigslist, we've found some good deal on there for aquarium stuff. I wish I was closer, you could pick through my lumber pile and I'd help you build a stand that would take a missile strike.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat
17 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Keep an eye out on Facebook and Craigslist, we've found some good deal on there for aquarium stuff. I wish I was closer, you could pick through my lumber pile and I'd help you build a stand that would take a missile strike.

I feel like every reefer eventually reaches a point where they get sick of stock stands and build their own and when they do it turns out to be a juggernaut that lasts for fifty years. It takes some longer than others, but everyone gets there sooner or later! I am dreading having to go that route myself, but I know that it's just a matter of time before my Cobalt stand bubbles out or starts to peel. 😅

 

It's a shame that major manufacturers aren't willing to put a bit more effort into their stands. I'd be more than happy to pay what it costs for a strong, sleek, utilitarian stand that is designed to pair with my aquarium and won't fall apart in two years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
43 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I feel like every reefer eventually reaches a point where they get sick of stock stands and build their own and when they do it turns out to be a juggernaut that lasts for fifty years. It takes some longer than others, but everyone gets there sooner or later! I am dreading having to go that route myself, but I know that it's just a matter of time before my Cobalt stand bubbles out or starts to peel. 😅

 

It's a shame that major manufacturers aren't willing to put a bit more effort into their stands. I'd be more than happy to pay what it costs for a strong, sleek, utilitarian stand that is designed to pair with my aquarium and won't fall apart in two years.

its really too bad. the stand is pretty dang important. 

does anyone on here have any good resources for DIY stands they've seen built? Thinking I may have to go that way this summer, but want to do my research to make sure i'm aware of what i'm potentially taking on.

It may just be easier to send another email to SCA to ask them to send me another replacement stand (they didnt charge last time- i'd pay if they did this time) and try once again to make it a bit more sturdy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
21 hours ago, billygoat said:

I feel like every reefer eventually reaches a point where they get sick of stock stands and build their own and when they do it turns out to be a juggernaut that lasts for fifty years. It takes some longer than others, but everyone gets there sooner or later! I am dreading having to go that route myself, but I know that it's just a matter of time before my Cobalt stand bubbles out or starts to peel. 😅

 

It's a shame that major manufacturers aren't willing to put a bit more effort into their stands. I'd be more than happy to pay what it costs for a strong, sleek, utilitarian stand that is designed to pair with my aquarium and won't fall apart in two years.

We've been in the reef business since 1985, I got tired of garbage stands quickly, lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty

I've been trying to email the owner about a new stand, as @sublime1996525 has the "upgraded" cabinet with a different door configuration. He's been quick to get me a quote but hasn't gotten back about my other questions yet. 

 

Params of this morning: 

Alk- 10.2

Ca- 480

No3- 50

Po4- .5

Mg- 1290

 

Something seems weird in the tank, but I can't put my finger on it. I've had some weird tissue expansion on some SPS, tube anemone has been wandering outside of his tube so I corralled him in the breeder box... etc. One of my pocci's is bleached, but not the others. very strange!

 

Here's some photo evidence of the weird bubbly SPS:

 

I added two sexy shrimp last week, and I thought I lost them, but they found each other and happily  have made their little house next to the glass:

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty

Came back from a work appointment this morning and checked on the tank briefly. 
It's with a heavy heart that I report one of the clams harry sent me 4 years ago died overnight. Cause unknown- all other clams are fine. Unfortunately, it was the unique hybrid clam that was yellow/purple, and eventually turned gold/brown and deep purple as it grew. I saw 3-4 inches of growth with this little guy and I'm heartbroken to have lost him.

 

This is the first clam death I've had in years. 

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

Sorry to hear @mwhitelock 😞.

 

It sounded like a really unique one, do you have an old photo you could share?

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat

Well that's just tragic! So weird that it would up and kick the bucket like that. Do you think something else in the tank may have suddenly decided to go after it?

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
15 hours ago, billygoat said:

Well that's just tragic! So weird that it would up and kick the bucket like that. Do you think something else in the tank may have suddenly decided to go after it?

i wonder if my temperature swing the other day, coupled with it accidentally falling face-first into the torches last week was the combination that did it in. Either way.... 

Tank isnt the same without it. 

 

17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear @mwhitelock 😞.

 

It sounded like a really unique one, do you have an old photo you could share?

yea- it was cool. @HarryPotter sent it to me years ago! I'll have to see if i can find a photo when he was a baby. 😞 This photo is the most recent I can find. (right)

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
vlangel

Wow, I can see why you are missing it so much.  It was a real beauty and I know that I get attached to all my aquatic pets, especially the ones I have had for years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty

 

 

 

 

Finding other things to enjoy in the tank has helped ease the feeling of loss of the clam. 

The sexy shrimp have decided to host a RFA, and right by the glass so I can admire the cuteness.

 

The cardinals have been caught in their spawning dance twice now, but the male has still been eating so I don’t think we have eggs again yet. Fingers crossed though!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
sublime1996525

Stop creeping on the cardinals....;)

 

Your tank looks great. Talk about getting lucky on the sexy shrimp. If I ever get some, I know for sure they’ll pick a place to hang out that I’d never see. 

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty

Photo dump this afternoon, as the tank was looking especially luscious:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, that is a cat hair in this photo:

 

 

 

And the cutest resident:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
Posted (edited)

And more:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by mwhitelock
photo not showing
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty

So, as you'll notice, there is a tiny frag stuck to the left side of the overflow, of my forest fire. the orange back wrasse jumped and broke it off on his landing. (he's a graceful one) though, i suppose it was my fault, me walking over in front of the tank suddenly seemed to spook him to jump in the first place. 

 

things are back in balance with the tank. alk has been riding a bit lower these days, around 7. I let it slowly drop, in favor of switching from just fresh ATO and dosing 2-part instead of kalk in the ATO water. I didn't like not having finely tuned control like i can with dosing. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat

Gorgeous as usual! Those clams get me every time. 😍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne

I love that possum wrasse so much!! Is it super shy or will it stay out in the open very much? Considering one for the 50g I’m plannin’

Share this post


Link to post
vlangel

The tank is stunning Morgan.  Lots of textures and color.  Great job!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thecoralbeauty
8 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I love that possum wrasse so much!! Is it super shy or will it stay out in the open very much? Considering one for the 50g I’m plannin’

he was shy for a few days- but now he's out and about the tank, very curious little guy. Tends to still stay within a quick dart to shelter, but he's an explorer. I'm really taken with him. :wub:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...