Cultivated Reef

thecoralbeauty

righttirefire

Colorado isn't that far away... but I'd have to charge you travel time!... here's a suggestion... if you was want threaded bulkheads... buy them! Personally I prefer the glue.

20150418_090816_zpssdjoqzqj.jpg

Personally I went ABS bulkhead to pvc pipe, pvc pipe to pvc union...

Abs glue only. Pvc primer and glue.... tape off so you don't make a mess.

20150424_182213_zpszu3tprer.jpg

When you're making up your joint give the joint a 1/4 twist... I like to twist as I set the joint

I watched my Steelers and they let me down!

Tomorrow is a new day and I am sure the plumbing will get sorted out. Hang in there!

Holy crap, the Bengals are 7 and 0. I gave up on them long ago.

• Like 1

Holy crap, the Bengals are 7 and 0. I gave up on them long ago.

I know, it was a pathetic game for both teams but more pathetic for the Steelers since we lost!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Unless you're a pro, just glue it. :) My threaded bulkheads kept having a small drip, even after watching many hours of instructions on youtube… in the end, I just glued the threads and forget about it!

thats the thing though. the threads are on the outside... the fitting goes on the inside... and is smooth. smooth on smooth.

sorry- i'm waiting for their picture, then will see what i can do when i get home. if i still have issues i'll update with more photos.

just want to get this up and running already!

• Like 1

thats the thing though. the threads are on the outside... the fitting goes on the inside... and is smooth. smooth on smooth.

sorry- i'm waiting for their picture, then will see what i can do when i get home. if i still have issues i'll update with more photos.

just want to get this up and running already!

What I'm curious about is which way the 90 degree fitting points. And if the tubes do actually cross in the back.

• Like 1

So its supposed to be glued?

• Like 1

Well, so you'd think ;) It ain't easy. too many parts and no instructions!

Once you glue on the fitting, doesn't the flex tubing just attach to it? (and then clamp)

• Like 2

What I'm curious about is which way the 90 degree fitting points. And if the tubes do actually cross in the back.

90 deg points toward the crapper trappper at the far end of the sump. Return is below the bulkheads (straight barb). No getting lines crossed or getting kinky ;)

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

90 deg points toward the crapper trappper at the far end of the sump. Return is below the bulkheads (straight barb). No getting lines crossed or getting kinky ;)

yea- mine doesn't cross anyway...

Once you glue on the fitting, doesn't the flex tubing just attach to it? (and then clamp)

yes. i was just concerned that it glued instead of screwed in. if glue is more leak-proof though, that's the way to go i suppose.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

This is what he sent. I asked him to zoom in on the parts that the arrows are going to- but yea. it seems despite the inside being smooth (and outside threaded) and the outside of the elbow-friction connector being smooth- they are just glued.

IMG_20141030_180737%202_zpsxk4d1wgs.jpg

IMG_20141030_180737_zpslqhzcs6t.jpg

• Like 1
righttirefire

Gluing is a chemical bond and considered a "weld". Threading has the possibility of leaking if not properly done and can Crack fittings if over tightened, they're tapered

MORGAN! Don't thread anything to the outside if the bulkhead... that is a thread for the nut only and will fail if you cross thread a fitting onto it. Water weights 8.34 lbs per gallon more because of the salinity, and falling down the drain line into the sump is a huge force. I don't n like the 90 at the bottom. But it's not my design

thecoralbeauty

Gluing is a chemical bond and considered a "weld". Threading has the possibility of leaking if not properly done and can Crack fittings if over tightened, they're tapered

MORGAN! Don't thread anything to the outside if the bulkhead... that is a thread for the nut only and will fail if you cross thread a fitting onto it. Water weights 8.34 lbs per gallon more because of the salinity, and falling down the drain line into the sump is a huge force. I don't n like the 90 at the bottom. But it's not my design

got it. good to know! I had wondered why it was threaded it not to thread something on it...

now i know why.

• Like 1

i suppose if it's that much of a pain you could just get a straight connector.

I'm not. I actually think the 90 degree makes sense now that I look at it as the holes are close together in the center overflow. The 90 degree fitting allows the hose better access to the sump compartments. IMO.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

yea... the thing is- the picture he sent me, the durso is on the right. (crossing to the left via the connector). my durso is on the left, (i think?) - all of this is just blurring together for me now.

going to go find some PVC cement. (or is it ABS glue i should use??)

• Like 2

yea... the thing is- the picture he sent me, the durso is on the right. (crossing to the left via the connector). my durso is on the left, (i think?) - all of this is just blurring together for me now.

going to go find some PVC cement. (or is it ABS glue i should use??)

I like the durso on the left more if its going to the left chamber. Maybe his picture was old?

• Like 1
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*