Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Water changes don't really help with ammonia. You'd need to almost change out ALL the water to have an impact as you don't want any ammonia present. So even if you did half, you're still only lowering the ammonia by half. Then the fish and beings and such will add more so it would be in my mind, a losing battle. Better off going with some nitrifying bacteria or something like the prime etc.

i had some microbactor lying around (bright well)- added that generously.

Also the only thing could find was kent's pro-ammonia detox. supposed to neutralize ammonia... re-tested after adding, back down to 0.

carpenter's wrasse moved for the first tie since he went into panic mode.

hoping that was it.

I'm having seriously cloudy water... unsure why. might still be sand stirred up. and all the micro bubbles from me not knowing how to run the return lines properly...

• Like 1

i had some microbactor lying around (bright well)- added that generously.

Also the only thing could find was kent's pro-ammonia detox. supposed to neutralize ammonia... re-tested after adding, back down to 0.

carpenter's wrasse moved for the first tie since he went into panic mode.

hoping that was it.

I'm having seriously cloudy water... unsure why. might still be sand stirred up. and all the micro bubbles from me not knowing how to run the return lines properly...

The stuff you added might have clouded the water I'm thinking?

So glad you found it and you got the ammonia down to 0!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

me too!!

and no, it was a little cloudy earlier too. hmm.

just needs some time to settle in, probably.

you know, it's funny you mentioned that you didn't like the loudness of the tank, because i actually find it quite soothing. its like being near the ocean!

• Like 1

Anyone else ever wonder how a company's bacteria concentrate is produced?

Just wondering if they have some dudeman separating out bacteria under a microscope.

Probably not :(

• Like 3

Just wondering if they have some dudeman separating out bacteria under a microscope.

I never wondered that but now I will!

jedimasterben

:lol:

They separate them out and culture them separately.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

in high school thats what i did for a microbiologist who worked for my dads oil company to identify anaerobic methane-producing microbes. i wonder if these aquarium companies bother though...

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

lights just started to come on. both wrasses are out swimming and eating!

jawfish is still super shy and nowhere to be seen....

pistol shrimp is happy in the huge... corals already looking better and water is significantly clearer

woohoo!!!

• Like 4

Awesome- excited for ya. You and Stellablue have inspired me ( or shamed me ) into kick starting my 50 more. I think I'll add some rock in today. Got my ATO dialed in last night. Another show coming up...........one good thing about winter

a843507ab5a3c26a1771e3b0107ecbb9_zpsbk9l

• Like 2

yay! Glad everyone is settling in for you. Fish are probably stretching their fins enjoying all the extra space. Help us with more pics when the lights finish coming on. plz :flower:

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Just ordered live copepods and phytoplankton to help seed the tank this week. Algae barn is awesome stuff, and they're local as well, so that's nice. hoping that'll also help get things stabilized with a solid biofilter and food for the clammies.

Awesome- excited for ya. You and Stellablue have inspired me ( or shamed me ) into kick starting my 50 more. I think I'll add some rock in today. Got my ATO dialed in last night. Another show coming up...........one good thing about winter

and TERRIBLE FOR MY WALLET!

I guess at this point I want more fish than i do coral. i may exercise restraint and not go... hm.

yay! Glad everyone is settling in for you. Fish are probably stretching their fins enjoying all the extra space. Help us with more pics when the lights finish coming on. plz :flower:

Yes. I will. I also just fed phyto/reef energy so the water is kind of yellowish. trying to get this tank dirty!

• Like 1

Just ordered live copepods and phytoplankton to help seed the tank this week. Algae barn is awesome stuff, and they're local as well, so that's nice. hoping that'll also help get things stabilized with a solid biofilter and food for the clammies.

and TERRIBLE FOR MY WALLET!

I guess at this point I want more fish than i do coral. i may exercise restraint and not go... hm.

Yes. I will. I also just fed phyto/reef energy so the water is kind of yellowish. trying to get this tank dirty!

How much does the LFS charge for phyto and pods? Mine charges $50 for a gallon... So I order from Keydiver haha

DO IT!!!! You can't let us beat you!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

DO IT!!!! You can't let us beat you!

sigh. i'll see where i'm at by then. right now, I'm concerned with stocking fish. though, an elegance coral would be nice. i haven't had one in years and it was gorgeous... or maybe an open brain...

i guess i'm off to internet shop for any remaining corals i want and then decide if its worth seeing if they might be at the show...

on a related note, govx.com is having a 20$ off coupon for veterans day this week. if anyone is a part of that. I know some of us are/are related to military or first responders so it's a good site to be signed up for, and a pretty good deal too.

i'll probably order that archery backpack i've had my eye on. :wub:

Microbubbles- how to get rid of them?

I still have a ton in my display... makes it look cloudy from a distance.

Video?

Skimmer bubbles are probably getting in the return pump. Turn the skimmer perhaps, or get creative with filter floss :)

jedimasterben

Find their source. Turn off the skimmer for a bit and see if they clear up. If they do not, then it is from the drain and you are running too much water through it.

• Like 1

Skimmer has to break in. I'd just run it and get it over with. Tank looks good. I'd consider with any new sps removing the plugs as that's where most pest eggs will be etc.

• Like 3
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*