Pod Your Reef

thecoralbeauty

this:

Student: "Miss, can i go to the bathroom?"

Me: "I don't know, CAN you?"

Student" "yea..."

Me: "oh good for you!" *walks away*

Student: "wait, what?"

Ugh, you're one of those grammar nazi teachers. I still say it properly thanks to Mr. Farley (aka Buttear). Speaking of which; what is the nickname your class gives you at school? Every teacher has one wether they know it or not. If you know it, it probably isn't so bad, if not...

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Ugh, you're one of those grammar nazi teachers. I still say it properly thanks to Mr. Farley (aka Buttear). Speaking of which; what is the nickname your class gives you at school? Every teacher has one wether they know it or not. If you know it, it probably isn't so bad, if not...

Have you seen her avatar? Her nickname is probably along the lines of

wolfwhistle.gif

• Like 4
thecoralbeauty

:lol: LOVE it.

Or just don't wear deodorant. although then you might not have any friends. That might not be good.

who needs friends when you have a reef??

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

ok- taking pictures, though water is kinda cloudy looking still.

carpenters wrasse that has been in there 12 hours now is freaking out. laying on the bottom, fast breathing. other fish are hiding scared, but otherwise fine.

hm.

thoughts?

thecoralbeauty

i don't know it....

i don't know any other teachers....

i get cussed out a lot though so i feel like if it was bad they'd still just tell me... hm

• Like 1

All caught up on this thread! I used to be part of the little step ladder, water to the armpits club. It's one of the main, if not the entire reason I went with 36X18X18. Those dimensions sold me in a heartbeat. Also too the cabinet on my RSM was several inches taller than my CAD adding to the problem. Now I just shut off the pumps and try not to breathe and cause ripples as I stand near the tank looking top down. :wub:

Xenia. Scraping with the blade is best. The scraped pieces can take several days to re attach. So bets bet would be the sump compartment where you have the other corals, in a little bowl with rubble to let them attach.

• Like 1

ok- taking pictures, though water is kinda cloudy looking still.

carpenters wrasse that has been in there 12 hours now is freaking out. laying on the bottom, fast breathing. other fish are hiding scared, but otherwise fine.

hm.

thoughts?

Hmm. Do you think you're getting any sort of ammonia/small cycle? With the new sand, it could be that the biofilter isn't established yet.

And if you have some, I'd dump either some Fritz zyme in there or some Dr. tim's one and only. And test ammonia & nitrites. I put an ammonia badge in my new tank just in case.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

And if you have some, I'd dump either some Fritz zyme in there or some Dr. tim's one and only. And test ammonia & nitrites. I put an ammonia badge in my new tank just in case.

noted.

poor little guy, hope he pulls through.

thecoralbeauty

xenia...not fun =P. i had to cut off so much xenia before and they kept coming back

yea I'm getting rid of all but one sprig.

photos!!

IMG_4521_zpshst8pjer.jpg

IMG_4520_zpsozi4vcxx.jpg

IMG_4519_zpsin0lh7ja.jpg

IMG_4511_zpsvghokoeq.jpg

IMG_4507_zpsgiwpy6jq.jpg

IMG_4504.JPG_zpsdthfchcj.jpeg

IMG_4513_zpstmduexd4.jpg

IMG_4517_zps4hrueemu.jpg

• Like 4
righttirefire

I added sand to the nuvo and removed a rock and couple frags... no signs of a cycle in my tank. Rock should have a lot of the biofilter, right?

I added sand to the nuvo and removed a rock and couple frags... no signs of a cycle in my tank. Rock should have a lot of the biofilter, right?

It should but the tank is much bigger than the previous tank and not all the biofilter may have transferred. Disturbing a sand bed sometimes has adverse effects and may cause an ammonia spike if not careful.

• Like 1

stop ammo- from pet store? like petco?

Yeah, something to help stop the ammonia from being toxic. Or maybe just add in some nitrifying bacteria - or both actually. I dosed my tank last night with Dr. Tim's one and only and added some old sponges and stuff from the two tanks to get the biofilter going. But if you're seeing ammonia, i'm worried that it will have adverse affects on your livestock. I think there are other products as well to help with the ammonia, so I'm sure petco must have something.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Yeah, something to help stop the ammonia from being toxic. Or maybe just add in some nitrifying bacteria - or both actually. I dosed my tank last night with Dr. Tim's one and only and added some old sponges and stuff from the two tanks to get the biofilter going. But if you're seeing ammonia, i'm worried that it will have adverse affects on your livestock. I think there are other products as well to help with the ammonia, so I'm sure petco must have something.

heading there now

• Like 1

Hmm. Problem with not-so-nano is that a 5g water change wont have a significant effect

Water changes don't really help with ammonia. You'd need to almost change out ALL the water to have an impact as you don't want any ammonia present. So even if you did half, you're still only lowering the ammonia by half. Then the fish and beings and such will add more so it would be in my mind, a losing battle. Better off going with some nitrifying bacteria or something like the prime etc.

• Like 1
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*