Pod Your Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

:huh: What do you mean they're not attached to the overflow?

Mine go straight through...

Ok, never mind peoples! hahahaha. I was scared to fill the display when I noticed those because my durso is not water tight at the bottom. There's a clear panel set off from those notches so those notches allow water and things like detritus in but it goes up and over.

whoops. Freakout over.

lightbulb moment!!!

ok- so I just need to hand tighten that grey pipe down a bit but not need to glue anything. i'll proceed with salt mixing this afternoon.

• Like 1

lightbulb moment!!!

ok- so I just need to hand tighten that grey pipe down a bit but not need to glue anything. i'll proceed with salt mixing this afternoon.

Gotta love those lightbulb moments :)

thecoralbeauty

Gotta love those lightbulb moments :)

thank god we are in this together. between the two of us we should be good to go by this weekend! are you mixing salt today too?

Since the power outage happened i didn't get it all filled with the ro water/sump running/ etc.

Tonight i'll make the screen top and start mixing the salt in the tank.

• Like 1

thank god we are in this together. between the two of us we should be good to go by this weekend! are you mixing salt today too?

Since the power outage happened i didn't get it all filled with the ro water/sump running/ etc.

Tonight i'll make the screen top and start mixing the salt in the tank.

Yup! Just poured some salt into the massive brute I have sitting by the tank :lol:

You get the skimmer set up ok? If not, here's the youtube link I forgot to send.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Yup! Just poured some salt into the massive brute I have sitting by the tank :lol:

You get the skimmer set up ok? If not, here's the youtube link I forgot to send.

nope- that was next. saving that link for tonight!!

:huh:

Ok, never mind peoples! hahahaha. I was scared to fill the display when I noticed those because my durso is not water tight at the bottom. There's a clear panel set off from those notches so those notches allow water and things like detritus in but it goes up and over.

whoops. Freakout over.

This whole "Twin Tanks" thing has me a bit confused... just sayin (thought I was in Stella's thread).

But ya, many manufacturers will add a "false wall" with slots down low on the overflow box for added intake variety.

The lower slots end up as filter feeder havens. Low flow, high nutrients, plenty of organics... tube worm paradise.

• Like 3

This whole "Twin Tanks" thing has me a bit confused... just sayin (thought I was in Stella's thread).

But ya, many manufacturers will add a "false wall" with slots down low on the overflow box for added intake variety.

The lower slots end up as filter feeder havens. Low flow, high nutrients, plenty of organics... tube worm paradise.

We like to keep you guessing :lol:

Along with everyone else :)

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

We like to keep you guessing :lol:

Along with everyone else :)

haha the great thing, this was not planned either.

i've got tons of those little guys- they'll be moving in later this week when i syphon in my old sand!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

ok, so, stupid question time...

I was hoping to just transfer my existing water in there...

but i also kind of wanted it to run a bit before i put all my precious things in there.

and in order for it to run wet and filter itself a bit... it needs to be totally full.....

ack what do i do!?

ok, so, stupid question time...

I was hoping to just transfer my existing water in there...

but i also kind of wanted it to run a bit before i put all my precious things in there.

and in order for it to run wet and filter itself a bit... it needs to be totally full.....

ack what do i do!?

Make more water! :P

Don't be impulsive... better to wait a day than try to make an instant transfer and possibly cause more stress to the critters

thecoralbeauty

Make more water! :P

Don't be impulsive... better to wait a day than try to make an instant transfer and possibly cause more stress to the critters

so make ALL new water, fill to top... and let it run for a day? then what?

transfer and take water out as necessary? i'll have to acclimate rocks and everything... which will be a pain. ARGH HOW DO I DO THIS?! i was hoping to use my existing water too

transfer and take water out as necessary? i'll have to acclimate rocks and everything... which will be a pain. ARGH HOW DO I DO THIS?! i was hoping to use my existing water too

Lol make all new water. Put in sand and rock. Give it a few days. Move stuff over.

Remember how I did it to my RL-45? Went fantastic; not one critter was upset.

• Like 1

Could you do half old water half new water. Take the critters that will be out of the water off the rock and put in the sand bed. Only problem is if you don't have any frag plugs left. If not do what hairball said.

thecoralbeauty

Lol make all new water. Put in sand and rock. Give it a few days. Move stuff over.

Remember how I did it to my RL-45? Went fantastic; not one critter was upset.

that's the issue though- my stuff is already mounted on (or growing on/encrusting) my rocks. i don't have new rocks. I'm planning on using my existing rocks.

i guess i could fill it all with new, let it run for a day or two, then take out 25 gallons, and put in my existing rock and water....

that's the issue though- my stuff is already mounted on (or growing on/encrusting) my rocks. i don't have new rocks. I'm planning on using my existing rocks.

i guess i could fill it all with new, let it run for a day or two, then take out 25 gallons, and put in my existing rock and water....

Meh. How about all new water and sand, run for a day, and then acclimate rocks and put em in?

Its just the sand will make a huge cloud for at least 24 hours.

• Like 1

When you have established rock, it is usually pretty safe to make the transfer in 1 shot. I have done it quite a few times and never had a problem, (and the last time was with seahorses). I do check my ammonia levels for a couple weeks to watch for a mini cycle and also add a bacteria boost like seachem stability. It really is not as risky as you think.

• Like 2

You're over thinking stuff again. :rolleyes: Run the tank for a day, dump half the water in the display, move rocks/fishes over, top off with old tank water, post pics, revel in the praises bestowed upon you. ;)

• Like 4

That's what I'm going to do. I'll siphon out what I don't need once I start putting stuff in. I am going to add in some of my existing water before I put the fish and such in just from the standpoint as it is higher in nutrients than my new water (obviously..)

• Like 2
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*